It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom Brady Vs. the NFL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
My concerns go back to the Adrian Peterson issue, among others.

Previous to these, the NFL and the other leagues, tended to let the legal system play out before acting with additional penalties.

At a guess, the Michael Vick with his dog fighting pushed the social media fully into the NFL's face. As his prison sentence was significant, most were satisfied with that and the 'second chance' mentality kicked.

Then came AP with the child abuse and the 'wife beating' video. The NFL took heat for mishandling the issue, largely from the sports media, at first. A bit of the tail wagging the dog.

My 'squirming' came from the thought that a Corporation was becoming the moral authority for it's employees. Especially when the motive was PR related and undercutting that was the NFL's profit margin.

To be sure the issues were totally valid....this time. Popularity reigns supreme with our Corporations.

Fast forward to Tom Brady. Now he's vilified for destroying his personal cell phone and 'not co-operating' with the NFL....

Wow, what happened to the right to privacy? This isn't the C.I.A., it's a football league and they can hold your personal phone against you? I suppose the precedent was set by the NBA and the owner who made stupid comments via his phone.

Nothing short of a court order should force an individual to turn his cell phone over to a company. I would have destroyed my cell phone on principal. Who knows what personal texts were on that phone between him and his wife, etc.

People seem to miss is all this evolution will translate to other businesses and corporations taking liberties as well, down the road.

Granted, they're paid big buck for the privilege of playing. I suppose I'd sell my soul to the NFL as well.

Brady has already made his money. He has his "screw you' money made.

If he decides to sue the NFL, I'm in his camp. David and Goliath...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Brady will not sue the N.F.L ,because if he did his text messages would be evidence.
He does not want to prove he is a CHEATER!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It's mob justice.

When the social media mob comes after you, it's hard to stand firm.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
He was not punished for cheating, he was punished for lying about cheating.
He would have gotten a fine if he said, "yeah, I like the ball squishy....sorry"

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DEANORULES24

A cheater? Everybody 'cheats'. Speed limits, tax filings, punching time clocks, on and on. Football player hold, grab, all to get an edge. As far as his cell phone goes, it's destroyed. Asking for his cell phone is my issue. Not his guilt.

Your response is the exact mentality that allows this precedent to be accepted....

I don't care whether he cheated or not. Sooner or later, someone who hasn't cheated will be forced by a corporation to cough up their private cell phones and that crosses my line....and the Constitution.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I personally don't see how they can suspend a player without any evidence to support that that player (Brady) committed any illegal act. He wasn't the one that deflated the balls. Even if before the game he was throwing them and testing their grip and made a comment to one of the staff that the balls felt a little hard and were difficult to grip, and recommended them being deflated a bit to their lowest level, he still did nothing wrong.

I don't see how the officials are to blame just as much as Brady. They are supposed to check things like that before the game. Plus, I think it is stupid how each team gets to bring their own balls that they like playing with in the first place. That leaves a lot of discrepencies for either team to modify them in any way. Just like every other sport, there should be one type of ball for games and both sides use the same equipment.

Reminds me when Colorado Rockies were accussed of juicing their balls.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You miss the point. Privacy is the issue I raise. You say he is being punished for 'lying', The league sure isn't saying that. Why? A slander lawsuit would be filed...and backed by the Players union.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Jesus, its a freaking game.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

He has no right to privacy as far as the NFL is concerned. The team that employs him is part of the NFL.
The NFL makes the rules. Brady was involved in breaking those rules.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The definition of cheating is different from the view of the winner and the looser. .....
But a company has no right to ask for a private cell phone, if it is a company phone then yes but not your personal phone.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I hope the company you work for doesn't move in that direction.....

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24

Brady will not sue the N.F.L ,because if he did his text messages would be evidence.
He does not want to prove he is a CHEATER!
You do realize Brady turned over all his cell phone records already right? Goodell even admitted it.

As for what was on the phone, Brady says that they turned over "detailed pages" of phone records and all of the emails requested by the Wells investigators. They also went to the phone company to retrieve the relevant messages from his broken phone. The NFL acknowledged that last part in the 20-page statement explaining Goodell's decision, buried in a footnote on page 12.

Everything the NFL asked for was given to them.
www.sbnation.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
He was not punished for cheating, he was punished for lying about cheating.
He would have gotten a fine if he said, "yeah, I like the ball squishy....sorry"

Except he never lied about anything. You do realize the Wells report flat out states the NFL was messing with the Patriots balls, right?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

He has no right to privacy as far as the NFL is concerned. The team that employs him is part of the NFL.
The NFL makes the rules. Brady was involved in breaking those rules.

Brady turned over every single thing that they asked for. The amount of ignorance is directly proportional to the jealousy I think.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

It's clear, Brady is a cheater. He should be happy to only be suspended for 4 games.

I would have banned him for life.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No, he didnt. He was asked for any texts related to the issue... didnt turn over any texts whatsoever.

You know there had to be some texts once the subject came up prior to the "investigation". At the very least you would expect, out of 10k text messages, that there would be at least one: "Man, can you believe these clowns?". One wouldnt hide that kind of text. But one might hide texts which would demonstrate guilt.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The company that I work for is not part of a 5 Billion dollar business.
They don't pay me $17,000 per DAY to play a game either.
And if they asked to see my text messages on my personal phone.... I could give it to them, because I don't have any wrongdoing to hide.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Bleh.

Brady hasn't broken any laws, he's broken some rules. That's business as usual with New England. The NFL has a brand to protect. One of the things that could damage it materially, is a suspicion that the games weren't on the up and up. Even the suspicion that unfair advantages or rule breaking is being tolerated, could be disastrous.

It's not illegal to bet on baseball. Pete Rose got a lifetime ban from the MLB for it.

The sad thing is, the Pats are good enough, they don't have to fudge. And all Brady would've needed to do was "oops" and it would've been over in a heartbeat. Too late now.

There are 31 billionaires that own NFL teams (Packers are an exception) and about 31 teams would just as soon New England take a fall.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

i agree! i also think, since we can't be sure how long they have been cheating for, they should be stripped of the superbowl wins they have gotten under brady, because who knows? he could have been cheating like this since college and just never gotten caught. he thought that destroying his phone would get him out of trouble, but they did pull the phone records, and obviously they found some corroborating evidence or he wouldn't be in trouble for it.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No, he didnt. He was asked for any texts related to the issue... didnt turn over any texts whatsoever.

You know there had to be some texts once the subject came up prior to the "investigation". At the very least you would expect, out of 10k text messages, that there would be at least one: "Man, can you believe these clowns?". One wouldnt hide that kind of text. But one might hide texts which would demonstrate guilt.

did you not see where I sourced Brady turned over everything? Where Goodell admits Brady turned it all over? Why are you lying?

As for what was on the phone, Brady says that they turned over "detailed pages" of phone records and all of the emails requested by the Wells investigators. They also went to the phone company to retrieve the relevant messages from his broken phone. The NFL acknowledged that last part in the 20-page statement explaining Goodell's decision, buried in a footnote on page 12.

edit on 7-8-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join