It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers discover humongous structure one-ninth the size of the observable universe

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danke
a reply to: EA006

There is nothing more life sucking than using a thread on space discoveries as a way to poke fun at fat people.

We'll use the fatties forum next time. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Well as I said I thought I read this before

From my understanding they are two different things.

Yours : It's not a single, physical object, but rather a cluster of nine massive galaxies bound together gravitationally, much like how our Milky Way is part of a cluster of galaxies.

And the one I mentioned : The structure is a large quasar group (LQG), a collection of extremely luminous galactic nuclei powered by supermassive central black holes.

Either way it's an awsome find.

Just wish my brain would stop thinking structure like building or monument.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Good to hear.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
ENOUGH!!

The topic is, since some of you have forgotten...

Astronomers discover humongous structure one-ninth the size of the observable universe

edit on 8/6/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
ETA: Whoops, nvm.
edit on 6-8-2015 by intrptr because: ETA:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Even now with all their understanding
Scientists amaze me with statements
like "something this big can NOT exist within our calculations".
However now we know,it's there .
The same scientists will then proclaim
"ET's couldn't possibly visit Earth because the
distances are so large*they cannot be transversed".
And yet their current understandings of our Universe
are continuously washed away by findings like this. Before 2013
a theory of this structure would have been considered pseudoscience .

*so large they can only be admired apparently,but certainly not travelled.
How certain?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danke

Good to hear.

Back on track then, what's your opinion on the thread?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It's God's blood clot.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Our current understanding of this Universe is extremely limited, so I am not really surprised by this discovery. That being said, their calculations could simply just be wrong as well.

Maybe this is all a simulation. Certain sections of the universe could simply be running on different physics engines.

Maybe the God of this universe is a troll looking to mess with our puny minds.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I hope this helps lighten the mood a bit.

How bout that OP?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
First off -

Secondly a question -

Is the Universe 13 billion years old or is that only the area in the visible universe that we can see?

It's the greatest guess off all time which can never be proven. Cool discovery though.
edit on 6-8-2015 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
I hope this helps lighten the mood a bit.

How bout that OP?

A flying purple people eater?

Presented with enough scientific jargon, you could make a strong case. It makes as much sense as anything else.

We are ridiculous (and, yes, a bit arrogant) to think we really have any sort of grasp on the nature of the universe. That new evidence regularly proves we are totally clueless in our theories shouldn't suprise us. But we will keep trying.

thanks for the smile!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

"Astronomers discover humongous structure one-ninth the size of the observable universe"

WOW, a microscopic glimpse of Donald Trumps ego

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

“If we are right, this structure contradicts the current models of the universe,” said Lajos Balazs, lead author on the paper, in a press release by the Royal Astronomical Society. “It was a huge surprise to find something this big – and we still don’t quite understand how it came to exist at all.”

Amazing these scientists always are finding out things that demonstrate they really don't know much of anything!

Also its the " observable universe"

They have no clue of the size of the universe or if its infinite or not so the one ninth is meaningless

Though to the OP great find!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
While the age of the observable universe is thought to be about 14 billion years that does not mean that the size of the universe itself has to coincide with 14 billion light years in distance from us.

The inflation of the universe at the beginning has been said to have been actually faster than the actual speed of light in an exponential way. This means that more distance could have been covered than time taken, if you will.

So it could have expanded by now to 90 billion light years in diameter in those 14 billion years.

There are also other theories that suggest that maybe some of the constants of the universe, like the speed of light, may vary over time.

Like all theories they are just that, theories, but the universe is pretty cool pretty cool right?

I Think of these structures as the multiple injection starting guns for the universal race cos that just sounds cool to me!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
originally posted by: VegHead

In fact, this mysterious structure is so colossal that it could shatter our current understanding of the cosmos.

“If we are right, this structure contradicts the current models of the universe,” said Lajos Balazs,
Just what is this massive structure? It's not a single, physical object, but rather a cluster of nine massive galaxies bound together gravitationally, much like how our Milky Way is part of a cluster of galaxies.

Amazing !

Im hoping someone can tell me why this contradicts current models of the universe if they then say it acts like our Milky way being part of a cluster of Galaxies.
Its just bigger yes?
edit on 6-8-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I am just taking a wild guess that maybe this doesn't fit the idea of an isotropic universe? That means that the universe is homogeneous in all directions, or basically looks the same wherever you are. Like I say, just a guess and probably way off the mark but unless these objects are uniformly spread...

edit on 6-8-2015 by Jonjonj because: spelling

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If this thing is really that big, why didnt they discover it a long time ago?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
For those wanting to dig deeper, here is the scientific paper on this finding...
arxiv.org...

Quote from link (sorry, on phone):

According to the cosmological principle, Universal large-scale structure is homogeneous and isotropic. The observable Universe, however, shows complex structures even on very large scales. The recent discoveries of structures significantly exceeding the transition scale of 370 Mpc pose a challenge to the cosmological principle.
We report here the discovery of the largest regular formation in the observable Universe; a ring with a diameter of 1720 Mpc, displayed by 9 gamma ray bursts (GRBs), exceeding by a factor of five the transition scale to the homogeneous and isotropic distribution. The ring has a major diameter of 43o and a minor diameter of 30o at a distance of 2770 Mpc in the 0.78

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Did we not had this model once that the universe could collapse at one point ?
But I believe they dismissed that theory?

Maybe they were wrong?

If not somebody is really messing things up in mine craft. ..
edit on 0b08America/ChicagoThu, 06 Aug 2015 15:57:08 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoThu, 06 Aug 2015 15:57:08 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join