It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's "evil". "Evil, I tell you!". The MANY USES of Hemp

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Seems to me like this "hemp is LITERALLY the solution to every problem ever!" propaganda is really about marijuana legislation. Fine, if that's your agenda, I personally have nothing against it, but trumping up hemp like it's some magic bullet in order to drum up favor for marijuana legislation is disingenuous.

You are lumping industrial hemp and marijuana together, when they are actually two separate things. Hemp has no THC in it and can only be used for plant fibre/oil/hempcrete, etc. This is the crux of the whole argument.

Also, hemp can grow anywhere you can irrigate it. It actually improves the salinity of the soil and produces a mulch layer very quickly, so it would eventually create MORE arable land.

There really aren't any many cons for using it. The only one I can think of is that it will cost a bit to modify current industrial machinery to be able to process it.
edit on 7-8-2015 by NeuronDivide because: spelling

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

If someone tries to pitch you something supposedly revolutionary that is all pros and no cons, you know they're trying to hoodwink you.

You missed the point!

Hemp is not "supposedly revolutionary."

It has a proven record over thousands of years and has been used and proven.

They are not trying to hoodwink anyone....

But those on the other side? Well we know the history ... and the other side has been lying, lying to make profits.

P

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: NeuronDivide

Actually, op is the one who keeps switching between industrial hemp and smoking marijuana, not me.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: NeuronDivide

Seems to me like this "hemp is LITERALLY the solution to every problem ever!" propaganda is really about marijuana legislation. Fine, if that's your agenda, I personally have nothing against it, but trumping up hemp like it's some magic bullet in order to drum up favor for marijuana legislation is disingenuous.

Also, hemp can grow anywhere you can irrigate it. It actually improves the salinity of the soil and produces a mulch layer very quickly, so it would eventually create MORE arable land.

There really aren't any many cons for using it. The only one I can think of is that it will cost a bit to modify current industrial machinery to be able to process it.

It is true that hemp will likely be first grown on marginal lands; I haven't seen anything to suggest it improves the soil and makes more arable land, but would not be shocked to learn it does.

There is little you have to do to retrofit current harvesting machinery -- the heads on a combine will require some minor retrofits.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
It is very dangerous. My buddy had a rope made of hemp, and it auto erotic asphyxiated him! A close releative made a blanket of Hemp, and fell asleep smoking and it caught on fire, KILLING THEM!

At the very least this dangerous weapon needs to be registered with mandatory background checks performed by the FBI.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

a reply to: NeuronDivide

Actually, op is the one who keeps switching between industrial hemp and smoking marijuana, not me.
Even if they grew marijuana to smoke, it still has the same positive affects on our ENVIRONMENT! In case you still don't understand, plants breathe in dirty air, and breathe out oxygen. And, more importantly

From Day 1 of your marijuana plant's life to a Smokable Harvest, you're looking at 8.5 weeks - 7+ Months. Many factors will affect the total time, but the average grow takes 3-4 months.
We're cutting down trees for to wipe our butts, but are we replacing those trees to HELP US BREATHE?????

And then there's this:

The brewing process uses somewhere in the neighborhood of five liters for every liter of beer produced. But that’s only a drop in the bucket when compared to the total of anywhere from 61 to 180 liters required, depending on which country the ingredients are produced in. That would be anywhere from 8 to 24 gallons for a pint

Are you starting to see, what i'm getting at?

WHEN WILL WE STOP WASTING and START TAKING CARE OF OUR ENVIRONMENT? (In plain english)

Hemp/Marijuana....oh, it's so bad. It's soooooooooo "evil". Meanwhile, we continue to produce and promote a product that destroys. Oh, but then people complain about the condition of our planet????????

Want to fix our planet???? STOP MAKING BEER and start planting! SIMPLE!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Pentagon Built On USDA Hemp Farm

Lyster H. Dewey, a botanist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture

Found recently at a garage sale outside Buffalo but never publicly released, these journals chronicle the life of Lyster H. Dewey, a botanist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture whose long career straddled the 19th and 20th centuries. Dewey writes painstakingly about growing exotically named varieties of hemp -- Keijo, Chinamington and others -- on a tract of government land known as Arlington Farms. In effect, he was tending Uncle Sam's hemp farm.

What's gotten hemp advocates excited about the discovery is the location of that farm. A large chunk of acreage was handed over to the War Department in the 1940s for construction of the world's largest office building: the Pentagon. So now, hempsters can claim that an important piece of their legacy lies in the rich Northern Virginia soil alongside a hugely significant symbol of the government that has so enraged and befuddled them over the years.

source

Article is from 2010

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Haha. I haven't logged in for months but I had to do I could give some stars to gethyped. Thank you for making a completely reasonable argument.b it's shocking reading through this how nobody seemed to understand what you're saying. They got all defensive for nothing.

As far as hemp goes and to the OP, i hope we are soon able to see more products from hemp. Good luck in your crusade.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: etombo
Haha. I haven't logged in for months but I had to do I could give some stars to gethyped. Thank you for making a completely reasonable argument.b it's shocking reading through this how nobody seemed to understand what you're saying. They got all defensive for nothing.

As far as hemp goes and to the OP, i hope we are soon able to see more products from hemp. Good luck in your crusade.
What crusade? I have no agenda behind this post. Hopefully, it will wake people up and get them to see that the things TPTB call "evil" are only "evil" because it would affect their pockets and their overall agenda.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JuJuBee

originally posted by: etombo

What crusade? I have no agenda behind this post. Hopefully, it will wake people up and get them to see that the things TPTB call "evil" are only "evil" because it would affect their pockets and their overall agenda.

Hahah. Calm down. I apologize, I thought you made a post to try and sway the view point of others and start spreading the word about hemp and how it's beneficial to us and makes no sense why it is illegal. Good luck doing whatever you're doing. If I may make a slight suggestion; it seems you're very defensive, that may cloud the judgment of others to not consider the facts and look at the emotions that I imagine you're not trying to portray. Best wishes.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Foundryman
The pro arguments for the use of hemp are rendered moot by one undeniable fact: Hemp CAN be grown legally in many other countries. These countries can make their own "vastly superior" products and their hemp made goods should be completely dominating their own national markets as well as select international markets. Since that has not occurred, I'm forced to conclude that hemp aint all it's cracked up to be. If hemp was THAT good it would beat out all the competing products.

Google the countries that grow hemp. Now ask yourself, if hemp is so good, then why isn't hemp the leading material for everything in that respective country? You can't argue that there is some sort of "pressure" because if that country can grow hemp at all, it means the evil cabal is powerless there and incapable of outlawing production of hemp. You can try and argue that the cabal has banned the sale of the products to the West but that doesn't stop that country from producing hemp goods for their own national consumption. So where are their super products? Why isn't everyone in China wearing superior hemp clothes, eating super healthy hemp oil, driving hemp cars, and laughing at the West?

Well if you had of done a few google searches on the subject yourself, I'm sure you could have easily answered your own question. There's actually quite a few reasons why the miracle plant Hemp (or the strain of Cannabis Sativa that's breed to produce good quality fibres or seed) hasn't been able to thrive as a profitable industry in countries where it can legally be grown.

1. Its extremely heavily regulated. Even though farmers in some countries are allowed to grow it, you have to be granted permits by the government, the requirements to gain said permits are extremely restrictive. So are the requirements for how and where you can grow it.

2. The majority of industries that can benefit from using hemp to produce there products, simply don't have the infrastructure to make the change. Nor do most corporations/Companies want to invest in building the appropriate infrastructure, since the don't want there name to be associated with the cannabis plant, because of fear of public backlash.

3. The cannabis plant is still not understood and demonized by a lot of people. So farmers who attempt to grow it rarely get any support from the local community and are often victimized, crops are regularly vandalized by 'do-gooder' locals for example.

To some it up... red tape, politics & ignorant morals just make growing hemp far more hassle than its worth for the majority of farmers.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Great points.

People seem to think that other countries are so much more lenient than the U.S. on hemp and marijuana when the reality is that the only place where marijuana is completely legal in the world is in 4 states in the U.S. And even in those states, hemp (which you can't even get high on) is still highly regulated with red tape and obsticles everywhere. (Although Colorado is really moving forward on industrial hemp) Most countries have similar red tape obsticles among many other obsticles that have nothing to do with the actual material value of the plant.

Like I wrote earlier. How bout we take all the ridiculous red tape down and let the good ole free market decide. Conservatives, who are mostly against hemp for some reason, should support letting the free market decide. They preach it on a daily basis!

It's kind of funny how you hear all these arguments against hemp, like the relation to marijuana or the "overrated" argument that was just made by the guy you responded to, but I never see any emperical evidence that disputes the many benefits and uses of the plant. The opponents always seem to avoid that aspect.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Dude!

Nobody really cares about the many uses of hemp. Lots of plants have many uses, including bamboo. Why become a hemp advocate? This has always just been a disingenuous argument put forth by people who want marijuana legalized so they can get high. I hope that as marijuana moves toward legalization, we won't have to put up with this old stoner nonsense much longer.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Dude!

Nobody really cares about the many uses of hemp. Lots of plants have many uses, including bamboo. Why become a hemp advocate? This has always just been a disingenuous argument put forth by people who want marijuana legalized so they can get high. I hope that as marijuana moves toward legalization, we won't have to put up with this old stoner nonsense much longer.

Ok troll.

Dude.... you do realize that you dont grow hemp to get marijuana, right?

And if hemp is not that beneficial, then why are you so worried about it? Shouldn't the free market take care of it?

Besides, I'm pretty sure bamboo doesn't save epileptic children's lives.

There are MANY people that don't care about marijuana, but still want the benefits of hemp. Including the parents of said children.. among countless others for countless reasons.

Once again, way to back up your ridiculous statements with absolutely zero evidence or any kind of reasoning.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Nice post Blue Shift! A star for you. I totally agree and I see this type of behavior all of the time. Like this guy who called you a troll. Asking if bamboo ever cured epilepsy.. Which he is right I have never heard of bamboo saving epileptic children's lives, but I have heard of children having benefit and relief from a serum extracted by scientists in a controlled environment. Not to mention this serum has zero hypnotic effects. Although I typically do not hear that version, typically I hear my stoner friends talk about how we should legalize marijuana because it saves lives and hemp is useful and the magazine guy or whoever made it this way. Disingenuous is right.

In all fairness I hope that if hemp is in fact as useful as the op states that we begin to use it more and loosen up the regs. Look at George Washington Carver. He did a lot of great work for two seemingly basic crops. I can see that working with hemp or bamboo. I know that bamboo grows rapidly, may be hemp does as well and will be a great renewable resource.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: etombo

For me, asking, "Why become a hemp advocate? It's only an excuse for people to get high" is trolling. Or at best a straw man argument. You can't get high off hemp. It's the most unfounded, antiquated argument that keeps on going like the walking dead.

Let me get this straight.. You have heard of a serum extracted from bamboo that helps childhood epilepsy? Does that have the same peer reviewed results as CBD? I'd be shocked if "bamboo serum" beats CBD for childhood epilepsy. Lol

Anyway, I brought up CBD for childhood epilepsy because it's one of the many benefits that isn't about getting high like so many of you seem to think. These children don't get high off CBD and for many, they have tried every drug possible with all kinds of side effects, and CBD was the only thing that worked for them while having no side effects. Look into it. 

And to address both of you. Why advocate for hemp as opposed to something like bamboo?

Because it's ILLEGAL unlike bamboo and thousands of other non-harmful plants. And many of us feel like it's just wrong to ban such a great resource when it has so many benefits, especially considering how desperately this planet and humanity needs environmentally responsible solutions, of which it has several.. saving lumber, hempcrete, carbon sequestration, enriching soil for other crops.. I could go on.

As I keep on saying, let's let the free market decide. Be reasonable. Take down the red tape and give it a chance to walk. And if it really doesn't have intrinsic value, then you guys can say I told you so. I doubt that would be the case, but all we want is a fair chance.

But the whole "hemp is for stoners that wanna get high" is such an old fallacy that I think it has reached the point of trolling.

edit on 11-8-2015 by Reflection because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reflection

For me, asking, "Why become a hemp advocate? It's only an excuse for people to get high" is trolling. Or at best a straw man argument. You can't get high off hemp. It's the most unfounded, antiquated argument that keeps on going like the walking dead.

Let me get this straight.. You have heard of a serum extracted from bamboo that helps childhood epilepsy? Does that have the same peer reviewed results as CBD? I'd be shocked if "bamboo serum" beats CBD for childhood epilepsy. Lol

Anyway, I brought up CBD for childhood epilepsy because it's one of the many benefits that isn't about getting high like so many of you seem to think. These children don't get high off CBD and for many, they have tried every drug possible with all kinds of side effects, and CBD was the only thing that worked for them while having no side effects. Look into it. 

And to address both of you. Why advocate for hemp as opposed to something like bamboo?

Because it's ILLEGAL unlike bamboo and thousands of other non-harmful plants. And many of us feel like it's just wrong to ban such a great resource when it has so many benefits, especially considering how desperately this planet and humanity needs environmentally responsible solutions, of which it has several.. saving lumber, hempcrete, carbon sequestration, enriching soil for other crops.. I could go on.

As I keep on saying, let's let the free market decide. Be reasonable. Take down the red tape and give it a chance to walk. And if it really doesn't have intrinsic value, then you guys can say I told you so. I doubt that would be the case, but all we want is a fair chance.

But the whole "hemp is for stoners that wanna get high" is such an old fallacy that I think it has reached the point of trolling.
Typo I meant to say it was a marijuana serum

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Ok. So you were referring to CBD, which comes from both hemp and marijuana, although marijuana is a better source.

I'm just really confused by what you and Blue Shift are trying to get at..

You admit that hemp has true benefits, but then agree that people that want it legalized are just disengenious stoners that wanna get high.

The bottom line is that hemp is a great untapped resource that is illegal for no good reason. I don't know what your "stoner friends" have to say about hemp, but there are a lot of us that genuinely believe that it has real benefits that have nothing to do with marijuana. We base that off of facts. Not some disingenuous belief in fairy dust or magic plants as a back door ploy to legalize marijuana.

It's hard to believe that we are still having this marijuana/hemp conversation. You CAN NOT get high off hemp. We could start a new thread and debate the benefits of MJ, but when it comes to hemp, it shouldn't even be in the conversation.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Dude!

Dude!

Many people really care about the many uses of hemp and the euphoria of it's sister plant marijuana. I like to get high as well as use for medicinal purposes yet I am able to differentiate between hemp and marijuana. I hope that as we move closer to legalization, we won't have to put up with this outdated rhetoric from ignorant naysayers any longer.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join