It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 advice.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

You may be thinking of Open Office

Open Source means that anyone can contribute to the coding of the software, and (more often then not) it is free.

Linux distributions are robust, and have fewer crashes then windows machines, which is a plus, and they are close to windows os with the GUI, but at times the CMDs are hard to interpret because it is based on Unix. I haven't delved too deep into linux, but a lot of companies use them for their server os because of the not soo much crashing and downtime.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Is it still running slow when starting?
Is it using a lot of resources still?

I've heard others complain about the same.
So....I'm going to wait as long as possible.
Thank God I don't have updates set to automatic.....and that is a HUGE bone I have to pick with Win 10!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Additionally....it seems to not allow playing of any of my saved mp4's or mp3's...no matter which viewer I choose...media player, WINAMP, movies...all of them.

Confused to say the least!

Also avi's...Ive got tons of vids and concerts from 12 years back.

For mp4 I recommend VLC, for mp3 I would use MusicBee. If they don't work I'd be amazed.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Constructively, I would recommend downloading CCleaner to help with start-up time. This program will allow you to view your start-up programs and disable them. Second, I would disable all network communication to apps you don't plan on using. By default, the Windows 10 upgrade installs apps like twitter, maps, skype, etc.

As far as any other problems, the transition to Windows 10 may require a manual update on all drivers that were not automatically done during installation.

Hope this information helps, and if you need further guidance I can provide it step by step.
edit on 11-8-2015 by ChristinaLM because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Go to HP's support site for your laptop and see if there are Win10 drivers. Anything written for 7 should still work in theory but the saying goes, "update your drivers".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join