It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Moms Take to the Street to Prevent Violence, Doing a Better Job than Cops & Gun Control

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Chicago, IL — The city of Chicago has seen record-breaking violence in near war zone proportions recently. Over the July 4th weekend, 82 people were shot, and 15 died. This violence happened in spite of Chicago’s 12,244 sworn officers, and the fact that Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the country.

The ban on assault rifles, a high-capacity magazine ban, and nowhere to purchase ammo makes Chicago one of the toughest places in the country to obtain a serviceable and firing weapon — legally.

With these strict laws and thousands of cops, how on earth is there still all this gun violence in Chicago?

While there are many ways to answer that question, the short answer is this: Cops cannot be everywhere, many of them are corrupt, and gun control only keeps guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens.

A group of courageous and wise Chicago moms understand the notion as mentioned above, and after police and gun control have failed them, they’ve taken to the streets to do some policing of their own. Instead of brute force and the threat of violence, these mom’s use love and caring to incite peace. It’s working too!

Read more at thefreethoughtproject.com...

I thought this was a powerful story out of one of the most violent neighborhoods in Chicago, Englewood. This is the kind of community organizing that goes on in inner city neighborhoods across the country that shamefully never, ever gets talked about.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Some brave and courageous ladies right there...hats off. Thanks for the post.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Imagine, all it took was food.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

From your source :

I wanted us to bridge between the police and community, but that isn’t possible. We are there to protect the community and I tell the kids that—I’m here to protect you from both yourselves and any outside enemy, including the police.
Read more at thefreethoughtproject.com...

That is indeed a very telling statement....

Thx for sharing

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Well I think the food brought them out but the love and care keeps them around.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Yeah they did try to work with the police, but cops keep trying to shoo them away with some even targeting participants. One incident (mentioned) even violated the free speech of a young man.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It's a good effort.

Anybody interested can monitor Chicago and Englewood.....

Englewood

Citywide

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I don't know, I'm kind of a fan of morons killing each other and a fan of people defending themselves.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I don't know, I'm kind of a fan of morons killing each other and a fan of people defending themselves.

I agree but that threshold crosses over to innocent people being killed too. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, innocent people can't really defend themselves with the gun ban right? Legally anyways.

Unfortunately living here in Cedar Rapids IA we have seen our crime rate jump in the past 2 years due to the fact that we have low class folk from Chicago migrating over here. Why is that? Well apparently, this a rumor and I do not know the extent of the truth, there were signs (maybe even billboard) for people to migrate to Iowa as the welfare is better.
edit on 6-8-2015 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Absolutely brilliant. This is sort of how shenanigans were stopped when I was growing up. Not every mother worked and the ones that stayed home...they knew all the kids and had all the home phone numbers. You didn't dare misbehave or you'd be getting either a phone call or a home visit later that day.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Stuff like this happens way more often than most would think. I sometimes hear people on here say. Why don't black people care when black on black gang violence happens. Why do they only organize and protest when a white guy kills a black guy.

Well, people in the neighborhoods where gang violence happens, do care. They do organize and protest against the gangs. You just never hear about it on the news. Because it does not confirm a political bias, it does not help create controversy, it is not sexy. In other words, it does not sell commercial time or help with ratings.

new topics

top topics

join