It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen marijuana use not linked to depression, cancer or psychosis in later life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Teenage boys who smoke marijuana heavily in their adolescence are not more likely to develop problems such as depression, cancer or other health issues later in life, a new study published today (4 August 2015) has revealed. A Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, conducted by University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and Rutgers University researchers, tracked 408 US males from their teenage years through to their mid-30s.

Weed report: Teen marijuana use not linked to depression, cancer or psychosis in later life

"There were no differences in any of the mental or physical health outcomes that we measured regardless of the amount or frequency of marijuana used during adolescence."

-Lead researcher Jordan Bechtold - psychology research fellow -University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

This study counters prior research that marijuana causes such ailments as mentioned when used in youth(in the case of these males being studied).

Looking for more info on the study.: Not seeing many sources on it as of yet. Little more now compared to last night when I couldn't post because of the site being attacked-as shared in the B&Business section.
edit on 5-8-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Just the insomnia that's killing me. Month 20 now and yet to get fresh. Hope it gets better soon.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Nope...sure isn't but hey let's not report on the fact that it can certainly help those illnesses in most cases.

-sigh- I guess it's something S&F

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumStickNinja

Nope...sure isn't but hey let's not report on the fact that it can certainly help those illnesses in most cases.

Yeah the sources are rather limited as to what is shared. Kinda shocked Yahoo(Uk though-seeing it on the US one now) even picked up the study. Other than that there's isn't much circulating compared to studies that say the opposite.
edit on 5-8-2015 by dreamingawake because: US source

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
retracted, my bad

it's helpful to many people, not gonna lie
edit on 5-8-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

Yeah the sources are rather limited as to what is shared. Kinda shocked Yahoo(Uk though-seeing it on the US one now) even picked up the study. Other than that there's isn't much circulating compared to studies that say the opposite.

Wow! Isn't that a BIG FRIGGIN surprise!

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I dont even like MJ and could tell you that.........

Did they try linking it to the dosing from adolescence onward of various drugs that the majority of the kids have been on since the 90s?

LoL how can they even tell what could be causing it when theyve had them stoned on prescriptions since before their teens

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Mainly depression and cancers. It can actually help psychosis is some and make it worse for others...but as the article explains, isn't the initial cause.

edit on 5-8-2015 by DrumStickNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumStickNinja

THC potentiates psychosis other cannabinoids like CBD are antipsychotic. Unless someone is going to a shop for high CBD low THC, getting CBD oil, or perhaps getting lucky with the right kind of low grade bag weed it'll be making their symptoms worse. The good news is that it fades away after you quit.
edit on 5-8-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

The one thing I will add: it has been proven, both clinically and anecdotally (if anecdotes are really proof, anyway) that someone with active mental instability can have various/sundry mental effects from pot use. Including psychosis, paranois, depression, and bipolar events.

Long story short: its not a good idea to abuse an organ that is already struggling

Otherwise, I'd say the 60's proved the study in the OP pretty well.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

a reply to: pl3bscheese

Mainly depression and cancers. It can actually help psychosis is some and make it worse for others...but as the article explains, isn't the initial cause.

Its ludicrous to even say that, though. Other than when you carry a diagosis of "Organic Disorder", they don't know what causes it. There are some good guesses out there, based on studies. But the basis of mental illness is still not understood, outside of trauma induced illness.
edit on 8/5/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I smoke.
I used to look after people who smoked it starting at around 12 and It did help bring on their schizophrenia.
They had drug induced schizophrenia of course it didn't help that they had #ty parents and stuff but the weed certainly did help them lose it.
Cancer? I believe and actually have seen studies that it helps keep some cancers at bay.
Like any mind altering thing don't give it to kids.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This was on FOX News:

“What we found was a little surprising,” lead researcher Jordan Bechtold, a psychology research fellow at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, said in the release. “There were no differences in any of the mental or physical health outcomes that we measured regardless of the amount of frequency of marijuana used during adolescence.”

source

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Pretty much mirrors my anecdotal evidence of all my peers, we're now in our 30's....

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Yeah I've known a few people that had some very adverse reactions. It seemed to exacerbate something that was either controlled or lurking.

I have a horrible reaction to the stuff. When they legalized it here I tried it again and nope. Hate that feeling of time distortion and not being able to snap out of it.

It always irks me that so many people that are proponents act as if the stuff is 100% safe. Yeah, it may be pretty safe for most people, but admit that it's like any other drug. Some people are going to have bad reactions, there are actually downsides to it's use and that's OK. I started vaping to quit smoking and I see the same type of nonsense. "Who cares if kids do it if there isn't nicotine in the juice, it's 100% safe!". No, it's not. It's certainly going to be better than smoking, but it's not without risks.

Totally support it being legal. Totally support it being researched and used as a medicine.

Also support being honest about it, even when there aren't clear answers, just say that. I know someone is going to cite this and claim with 100% certainty that marijuana is 100% safe now.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Just to add I really think some just can not do any type of mind altering substance without it triggering some type of mental illness and some can neck owt and never have a problem.
Genetics.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

The thing is we have to remember there will be MJ lobbyists and MJ paid studies just like big pharma and stuff because the market is worth millions.
Like anything educate and regulate so it's safe to consume.
Just a bit Jelly that you guys can walk into a store and get some.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

THC has various effects on different people.

Some people get paranoid from THC.
Some people get a euphoric high from THC.
Some people get a cloudy mind from THC.
Some people hallucinate from too much THC.

And some people like me, I get relaxed and the amount of THC has very little impact on me. I don't get a euphoric high, paranoid, have hallucinations, or a cloudy mind. Unless I am chain smoking for hours it has almost no impact. But eventually if I smoke a large amount my mind can get a little cloudy.

So to say THC has one particular effect that can be attributed to everyone is simply incorrect.

It is much like other medications. It has side effects, and for some people those side effects mean they should not use it.

I actually prefer the cheaper lower dose THC varieties because the THC doesn't effect me enough to be worth spending any more.

I have quit recently, but that is only because despite it being legal for me, and psychologist recommended, too many companies still test for it and refuse to hire anyone with even a trace of THC.

I have thought about switching to CBD without the THC but that is still hard to come by and too expensive for my budget.

I need a job more than I need to sleep well at night apparently.

Of course I could switch to anything else the doctor could prescribe. But my other options would have more serious side effects and the possibility of strong chemical addiction. I would get the job but no thanks. It is quite sad really.
edit on 6-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Just to add I really think some just can not do any type of mind altering substance without it triggering some type of mental illness and some can neck owt and never have a problem.
Genetics.

> Yeah I've known a few people that had some very adverse reactions.
> It seemed to exacerbate something that was either controlled or lurking.

IMHO - what is lurking but controlled is FEAR. People say they don't like pot because if makes them PARANOID. Yes, it opens the mind (removes the filter) so that FEAR is brought to the surface. Those with issues (FEAR) will have an adverse reaction. It is also the opportunity to deal with (overcome) that FEAR.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Pretty much mirrors my anecdotal evidence of all my peers, we're now in our 30's....

Same here...and we're approaching our 50's...and THAT is major cause of depression than pot ever is i can tell ya!

edit on 6-8-2015 by MysterX because: typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join