It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting reported at Tennessee movie theater; suspect dead

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace
a reply to: LunaticPandora

Nope. The movie theater is perfectly within it's rights to ban weapons and implement airport like "security zones"; just as you are perfectly within your rights to not go to the movie theater.

Me? I would feel safer knowing that there may be a bad guy with a gun in the theater as opposed to knowing that there are 100+ John Wayne wannabes with itchy, paranoid trigger fingers.

I think the characterization of legal CCW holders as "John Wayne wannabes" is ridiculous and broad. The VAST majority of legal CCW holders are more law abiding than the police, and that is a fact.

Google the statement "CCW holders more law abiding".

edit on 582015 by LunaticPandora because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
shooting one another in America is just how we roll

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Don't purposefully desensitize yourself.

This isn't a norm.

There are more than 321 million people according to the US Census Clock. Adding one person to the count every 11 seconds.

The US is largely populated by people who are NOT insane and or commit criminal actions.

This extends to all demographics and people who carry guns for self protection. The US isn't even in the top 100 nations in terms of per capita murder rates; those are overall murder rates not just murder with guns.

People are generally good. We should see it as such. We should be reacting with sympathy for the families and thinking of solutions that don't violate the rights of the individual.

What we should NOT do is take an apathetic view. The media has convinced so many that this is normal and so many have taken a nihilistic view of crime in the US that isn't supported by facts.

Don't let them suck you in too.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Don't think it's apathy at the situation or victims rather the same old arguments....more guns/ less guns/ more laws/less laws/ban guns. It's old, even though the gun wasn't used in the theatre these same arguments will come out and it's boring. Maybe we look at something else like you said but we won't, The arguments that are repeatedly used create the apathy
edit on 5-8-2015 by Reallyfolks because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I think the characterization of legal CCW holders as "John Wayne wannabes" is ridiculous and broad. The VAST majority of legal CCW holders are more law abiding than the police, and that is a fact.

There are some that are paranoid and have "itchy" fingers, but the majority of us are very strict in adherence to the law and take our right very seriously.

As I said before, we walk a very thin line because of the very nature of the debate in the US and the millions of people that are uneducated not only on guns and guns rights, but the very constitution that gave us that right.

What's funny is that most people are never aware that there is a firearm nearby. That is the nature of conceal carry.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Didn't we just have a full moon, a "Blue Moon" in fact?

I'll never forget this thread about mass shootings and moon phases. I wonder if we update it with the most recent few if it holds a pattern?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace

Me? I would feel safer knowing that there may be a bad guy with a gun in the theater as opposed to knowing that there are 100+ John Wayne wannabes with itchy, paranoid trigger fingers.

LOL, sheep. You prefer being completely defenseless no matter what? You have been conditioned well hivemind.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

The fact that theaters are sitting duck zones is what worries me.

These people pick these places because no one is armed. Tennessee is a very pro gun state where these zone are generally avoided by people who carry because they don't want to be the next victims of a psycho the media glorified and made enviable by unstable individuals.

And yes it is apathy. People are normalizing this and accepting the zone as a solution. Even as people die as a result.

The anti-self defense people are saying to take the teeth and claws away from the pack of good people to make everyone safe.

I'm saying sharpen the claws and teeth of the pack so that the errant "lone wolf" is stood up to.
edit on 582015 by LunaticPandora because: To clarify points made.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I live in the Antioch area, just a few miles away just inside walking distance to the place. I`ve been there lots of times and its really not a bad area anymore. Waiting to see how this plays out but it appears they detonated a backpack that had paper in it and that could have been some sort of journal.

Not going to lie though initially I figured it for gang activity which still happens on occasion but nearly as bad as it used to be. Hickory Hollow is actually coming back to life after they closed the mall there and left it empty for so long.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If you have a CCW: boycott "gun free zones". Only thing I know to do.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Well that's the problem isn't it? We are forced to. I live right next to a theater where I would love to go see Ant Man...But I can't because I refuse to go in there without a firearm.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I will never dispute that people have a right to defend themselves from an armed criminal nor oppressive government. My only point is the apathy comes not from the seeing the same sad situations play out or lack of empathy for victims, rather the arguments that follow are already known. The apathy comes from that.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
We've got sky marshals, I guess we need movie theatre marshals.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

According to NATO (The National Association of Theatre Owners), there are nearly 6,000 movie theaters in the US and in 2013, 1.34 billion movie admissions (1.36 in 2012).

Let's go with a nice round number of 5 billion (we're only 2/3 of the way through 2015) admissions in the last 4 years. There were 12 fatalities at in Aurora and 2 in Lafayatte, so 14 fatalities out of 5 billion. That means that the average movie goer had about a 1 in 360 million risk of being killed by a mass murderer in a movie theater over the last 4 years. If one were to consider the last 20 years, I'm betting the odds are far beyond 1 in a billion.

According to the Daily Beast your odds of:

Winning Mega Millions? 1 in 176 million
Dying in a plane crash? 1 in 1 million
Dying in a bathtub? 1 in 840,000
Dying in an on-the-job accident? 1 in 48,000
Dying in a car accident? 1 in 6,700

Everyone is going to die somehow and this particular manner of death probably isn't even in the top 1,000, so not going to a movie because you can't carry your gun inside is frankly irrational. Consider your own words in an earlier post (I thought they were quite sensible):

There are more than 321 million people according to the US Census Clock. Adding one person to the count every 11 seconds.

The US is largely populated by people who are NOT insane and or commit criminal actions.

I'm not saying you should drop $10-$15 on a movie but by all means don't not do it out of fear of being killed.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justaposter

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: theantediluvian
Am I to understand no one was shot, and yet we're calling this guy a shooter? He assaulted someone with a hatchet. That makes him a murderer, if that person dies. NOT a shooter.

I think he did actually shot at the police, so technically a shooter.

and his backpacks looked suspicious, they are going to blow them up

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LunaticPandora

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Well that's the problem isn't it? We are forced to. I live right next to a theater where I would love to go see Ant Man...But I can't because I refuse to go in there without a firearm.

Nah, you're not forced to. Its a choice you make or don't make. As it pertains to theaters....we live in the digital age. Netflix, Redbox, Amazon...you have choices available. With much cheaper soda and popcorn.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
For anybody interested in the actual event:

Subject is 29, not 51 as previously released.

Police are not confirming he actually fired at police as "an officer had reported." No gun has been found so far.

They are pretty certain he acted alone.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Meanwhile, a story that the national media ignored:

A 62-year-old man faces several charges after Cincinnati police say he fired at four people, including a 1-year-old boy.

Thomas McCary was then shot by one of the victims, who has a permit to carry a concealed license, Cincinnati police said.

Source

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
wait till ya read this !!!!!

pepper spray pellet gun missing mental patient

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
For anybody interested in the actual event:

Subject is 29, not 51 as previously released.

Police are not confirming he actually fired at police as "an officer had reported." No gun has been found so far.

They are pretty certain he acted alone.

Yes apparently no gun just a hatchet. Guess that's why the cop killed him so quickly he couldn't fire back.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join