It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting reported at Tennessee movie theater; suspect dead

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

ANTIOCH, Tenn. — Police responded to a call of an active shooter at a Tennessee movie theater Wednesday afternoon, according to WSMV.

The incident was reported at about 1:15 p.m. at the Carmike Hickory 8 cinemas in Antioch, southeast of Nashville.

Shooting reported at Tennessee movie theater; suspect dead

CNN is reporting that the shooter was armed with a hatchet as well as a gun (not specified what type) and was carrying two backpacks. The movie playing was apparently Mad Max.

Antioch is by Nashville and the movie theater in question is next to the Global Mall.

EDIT to add:

Don Aaron, Nashville Police Spokesman is giving an interview. Here's a few things I caught:

- Attacker was a 51 year-old local resident
- He was wearing a surgical mask and a backpack on his front and had some other sort of backpack/satchel/duffel
- The only shooting injury was the suspect who was killed by police as he emerged from the theater's back door
- Two women were treated after being sprayed by the attacker with some sort of chemical spray (believed to be a pepper spray), their ages are 53 and 17 and they've been released
- One man had superficial wounds from an ax/hatchet on his shoulder, his age was given as 58 and he was also sprayed with the irritant
- There were approximately 20 people at the theater at the time of the attack

Thankfully it seems the only serious injury was to the attacker. There's some word that the attacker was spotted at another location prior to entering the theater and was overheard "uttering something."

Finally, the backpack is going to be detonated by the bomb squad as they were "not comfortable with what they were seeing." No word on the other bag/satchel.
edit on 2015-8-5 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Gunman is now confirmed dead, shot by LE response team. Details are emerging now, and apparently SWAT was on scene and took shooter down. Rinse, repeat.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
He must have went mad I tell ya. Am I the only one becoming immune to these stories now?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
2 backpacks being searched now, I have to believe this guys plan going in involved more than hatcheting one person. No reports of anyone being shot? Since the move was Mad Max im thinking this guy was playing out some sick cosplay type attack based on the movie.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

The shooter's journal.... wait for it.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

One person may have a hatchet wound, officials said

edit on 5-8-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Okay, well did he spray paint his mouth before the final stand?

I would have rather it been in Amy Shumers new movie again.

Sorry those were tasteless jokes, but all jolly's aside, what is the deal with this new movie theater trend?
I mean really, do these guys just hate modern day theatrics or what?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
He must have went mad I tell ya. Am I the only one becoming immune to these stories now?

You are not the only one that feels numb to these seemingly daily articles. It seems to not have a personal impact to many till it happens in their hometown, as did MPHS shootings around my neck. Just glad there are few victims reportedly injured, with the animal whose intent it was to hurt many was put down without collateral damage. This crap has gotta end.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I am going on my conspiracy side now on this latest theater shooting incidents, but I wonder if this is triggered by some kind of subliminal commands and is not just random but very well orchestrated.

I warn, this only base on my conspirators mind

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

I think we're all getting a bit desensitized. It's becoming a common occurrence.

I was at the theaters last night for the Dragon Ball Z movie - I'd be lying if I said the thought of a crazed shooter popping up didn't cross my mind. I wasn't worried, but I certainly thought that it was possible.

My question is: I wonder if this kind of thing is just going to become more and more common as time goes on?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

If your question wasn't rhetorical, it's simple: A lot of people, dark area, enclosed space. Trapped, sitting ducks, basically--the prefect ingredients for someone who wants to do the most amount of carnage with the least amount of effort.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
On a side note, though, I always concealed-carry when I'm at a movie theater, even though there are (tiny, poorly placed) graphics on some doors saying that guns are not allowed. But I'll be damned if I'm going to a trapped sitting duck just because the owners think that these murderous criminals are going to abide by the tiny sticker on the door.

It's not going to be Officer Doofus staring at the teenage girls who is going to protect me, that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation Am I the only one becoming immune to these stories now?

I speak for myself; Yes.

until those stories hit close to home you would have a different opinion.
immunity is like accepting these events as a norm in this country...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Time to invest in metal detectors....movie theaters, nationwide, will be implementing them soon; just you watch and see.

You can't claim to be a gun free zone if you don't check people at the door.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Another gun free zone. I mean SITTING DUCK ZONE.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace
Time to invest in metal detectors....movie theaters, nationwide, will be implementing them soon; just you watch and see.

You can't claim to be a gun free zone if you don't check people at the door.

Metal detectors are only as effective as the personnel willing and able to enforce it.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I went to a mall in Mexico City and there were armed guards everywhere, most with rifles. That's where we're headed.

Disclaimer: My comment has nothing to do with Mexico. I love Mexico even though it does have some problem areas.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LunaticPandora

So are guns...what's your point?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I've wondered this same thing in light of the apparent increase of random attackers...

There was a show on a while ago that mentioned subliminal triggers...I forget what the name of the show was or what that subliminal thing was called, but it was interesting. I've also seen hypnotists at work, and some people seem very prone to subliminal commands.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace
a reply to: LunaticPandora

So are guns...what's your point?

My point is we are NOT going to turn movie theaters into air ports "security zones".

We need to legalize self defense in this country. If the theater can't provide adequate security then the patrons should be allowed, by law, to protect themselves.

Edit:

Because until we do, we will be waiting for armed men to come and kill the attacker while he murders innocent people at will. The attacker has full control of life and death because everyone there followed rules that made defense next to impossible.
edit on 582015 by LunaticPandora because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join