It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch 40-year-old Land Rover rescue £200k Range Rover Overfinch from Devon mud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Its a pretty poor quality phone video, but I'm sharing this because it is local to me and made me chuckle.

In Salcombe, home of Devon's super-rich where you wouldn't get much change out of a million for a crash pad, the streets are awash with posh cars.

However, when one £100,000 Range Rover Overfinch, a luxury car whose brochures brag "the only limit on personalisation is your imagination" got stuck in the mud a considerably less shiny 40-year-old Land Rover had to come to the rescue.

Lots of big expensive Range Rovers around here, but with slick tires on them so why they bothered with the 4x4 one can only imagine.
...can't beat an old Landy, ever!

*Edit*
Source
edit on 5.8.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The land rover went on solId ground and winched it out and the range rover used its own power to get out. So its not entirely as it seems.
I've been stuck off road in some of the most advanced off road vehicles and sometimes we all need a little help.

having said that those old landys cannot be beaten when it comes to all terrain driving road vehicles. Its why they have been so popular for decades. Never onwe'd one but is definitely on my wish list.
edit on 5/8/15 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Stuck in 2 inches of mud! What a laugh.

My first car was a 67 Dodge Dart that would have made short work of that mud! Seriously, that thing would go where
4 X 4s feared to tread.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
Stuck in 2 inches of mud! What a laugh.

My first car was a 67 Dodge Dart that would have made short work of that mud! Seriously, that thing would go where
4 X 4s feared to tread.

The only reason this is a story is because some flash git got stuck in his flashy car.
These type of cars are not really designed for off road.
although a standard range rover is not actually to bad..

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
having said that those old landys cannot be beaten when it comes to all terrain driving road vehicles. Its why they have been so popular for decades. Never onwe'd one but is definitely on my wish list.
Same for me, on my wish list.
My mates chuckle when we have the 'win the lottery' type conversations, most say Ferrari's or whatever, but my dream would be a mint condition restored series one Land Rover lol

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Tires matter. Those Range Rovers are actually very impressive off road, but when you're on comfortable all seasons expect to get stuck in mud.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

True, and I'd hazard a guess that 95% of Range Rovers in my area never leave the tarmac so that explains the all season tires.
Still made me chuckle though.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Years ago, I worked on a farm. We chuckled when the farmer had to use his tractor to tow out some Range Rover owner from a "muddy bit". Always a reference point when I go home and see the old crowd.

However, in sympathy to people who buy the four wheel drive cars. They often don't think they'll actually have to use their off-road capability. They are merely a status symbol. On the off-chance their sat-nav sends them out-of-town they probably think their 4G phone will tell them how to drive. Little do they know 4G is not universal!

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Old Land Rovers are fun but there are others I like better, Toyota FJ45 Land Cruiser, CJ Jeep, Jeep Rubicon, Chevy K1500 4x4 (owned all of these over different times, still have the K1500 and frequently have to go fish my cousin and his Jeep Commander out of mud holes) My Favorite above all in my list was my 2006 Jeep Rubicon 8 inch lift, rock crawler package, Rancho RCX 9000 suspension, 8k lbs wench... ohh man I miss that Jeep.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

The only reason this is a story is because some flash git got stuck in his flashy car.
These type of cars are not really designed for off road.
although a standard range rover is not actually to bad..

The range rover is the yardstick for 4x4's. Overfinch just piss about with what is a purposeful car. When people started buying the sport model, I thought that's the most stupid thing to do. You had everything in the Vogue, while the sport was like a go-cart

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Ooh, I'll agree with the Land Cruiser, my mate has a 1999 Amazon, indestructible, and lovely to drive.
It'll tow a 3 or 4 tonne trailer no worries.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I had street wheels, massive mags on my rover, moving to the country I changed them to a tougher tread for ice and mud. Costs a fortune but now my puppy can climb trees

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Haha brilliant!
That is exactly how a 4x4 should live, free range

Too many in my area are just sad caged 4x4's.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
When I first got it (2nd hand) I realized it kinda actually thinks, you can feel the computer managing the wheels in mud or snow. Amazing, most amazing car I have ever driven.

That older rover would have gotten stuck likely also had it gone into the bog, it was on more solid land in the newer rovers defense. (and that isn't 200K it looks like a 08 model) you can get them from 30k.
edit on 5-8-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Yours sounds well nice, and also your remote location. It would be interesting to see a Top Gear style challenge of experienced Land Rover driver in an old one versus experienced off roader in a new one. If only to see how much difference the bells and whistles make in time/performance.

...oh and I could only quote the newspaper, I don't know the model of Range Rover as I've always been more of a Landy fan.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

It is funny. One of the things that cracks me up around here (Seattle-ish) is watching the people in lifted trucks and SUVs in the snow (when it happens it's not much). You see just as many if not more of these people in ditches because they think 4 wheel drive = impunity from ice.

top topics

join