It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Moore's new film: "Where to Invade Next"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Michael Moore Is About to Surprise America with Major New Documentary on the American Empire

“The issue of the United States at infinite war is something that has concerned me for quite some time, and provides the necessary satire for this film,” he said. [“There’s] this constant need it seems to always have an enemy — where’s the next enemy so we can keep this whole military industrial complex alive, and keep the companies that make a lot of money from this in business.

Apparently it's compiled (as is his wont) as a comedy, but this is serious stuff.
I'm thinking about "Religulous" when I say that. Actual documentary, but mocking the status quo.

I don't watch Moore's stuff much, but this one I want to see.

Take it together with Jeremy Scahill's book and film Dirty Wars, and we've got some actual information.

Even if you don't like Moore, Scahill's work is not at all tongue in cheek. He also wrote a book called Blackwater, which I bought but have not read yet (I was too shook-up by Dirty Wars to go right into Blackwater).

Will you watch this (even if you despise Moore)? Did you read Scahill or see his film?

Interested to learn reactions in advance of this new film's release.

edit on 8/5/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: woops. sorry for posting an empty thread first. Fixed it, and now fixed the link to Dirty Wars

"Movie Poster":

edit on 8/5/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Michael Moore has never made a documentary. He makes infomercials.
Like his capitalism infomercial. You know. The one he sold and distributed at a substantial profit.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I like Moores documentarys and look forward to watching this one. They are all kind of tongue in cheek and quirky even if they are about serious issues.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Okay. Would you watch this 'infomercial'? (Don't see what the big diff is, because neither format is "fiction").

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I won't watch it. I shudder at the thought of giving him any money.

+22 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

What? Is he supposed to make the film, at his expense, and then just give it away for free?

Free stuff is what you want?

Go earn it.

+47 more 
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Fair enough. I shudder at the thought of America systematically plundering and invading the whole damn world with "our" money.

link   

Don't think anything that moron does is "surprising" to anyone...

I might watch it when it comes on Netflix, which I'm sure it will after a year or so.

+34 more 
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Like his capitalism infomercial. You know. The one he sold and distributed at a substantial profit.

Are you under the impression that documentaries are usually free?

Is he supposed to just spend a bunch of money on making a film and then give it away?

~Tenth

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I find his documentays hit and miss.

But I will say Fahrenheit 911 was brilliant and spot on and open by eyes as a teenager to the evils in politics and war.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

True

But he was spot on with Fahrenheit 911......

link   

Not very familiar with Schahill's work, but my basic assumption is that you can't know too much about Michael Moore if you're a serious writer / theorist and then agree to work with the person.

I don't buy Moore's attitude of propaganda to defeat propaganda even if it works. :/

link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I'm saying he makes a movie about capitalism being evil and then proceeds to make millions using capitolism.
That's like a Peta convention serving steak.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Think of it thus way the more money you give him, the more food he can buy and the more he eats the faster he will have a heart attack

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Exactly. I guess some just don't like the "flippant" tone or the actual pointing out of what's happening.

Same people who probably hate Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Both geniuses, and The Daily Show and The Colbert Report will go down in history as brilliant exposes of American culture and political madness.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

a reply to: tothetenthpower

I'm saying he makes a movie about capitalism being evil and then proceeds to make millions using capitolism.
That's like a Peta convention serving steak.

I wasn't a fan of that one.

True it had some valid points but it was very one sided and scewred.

Some of his other documentarys have been spot on though.
edit on 5-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: beezzer

Fair enough. I shudder at the thought of America systematically plundering and invading the whole damn world with "our" money.

But in this case, I have a choice where my money goes.

And it won't go to him.

Enjoy the film!

I'll watch something with explosions, car chases, ninjas, and slo-mo action!

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I will definitely see it. I don't like or dislike Moore. But I've learned a lot from is previous films. Thanks for bringing this up!

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

Not very familiar with Schahill's work,

Recommended reading, in my opinion. Tells the dirty truth about America's incessant "meddling", and M/I Complex, and the war crimes committed by recent leaders.

Link to Scahill's film site

Scary stuff. Sickening stuff. Appalling, and embarrassing, and immoral stuff.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: crazyewok

Exactly. I guess some just don't like the "flippant" tone or the actual pointing out of what's happening.

Same people who probably hate Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Both geniuses, and The Daily Show and The Colbert Report will go down in history as brilliant exposes of American culture and political madness.

I get the impression "patriots" as they call themselves prefer to stick there fingers in there ears and sing the national anthem while covering there eyes will the flag than even look at the USA problems let alone e acknowledge them.

Least in the UK we know we have big issues and pointing them out doesn't get you labeled anti British!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join