It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyans Stage Pro-Gaddafi Rally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Several dozen protesters gathered in Benghazi to protest in support of the Gaddafi family and for the release of Saif al-Islam Gaddafi. Local militias and some onlookers dispersed the protest with gunfire and rocks, according to RT. There are no reports of injuries or deaths.

Considering most public support of Gaddafi and the policies of the former Jamahiriya are banned in Libya, it is interesting to see a somewhat significant turnout of protestors. It isn't entirely unsurprising though, given the current state of the country.

While support for Gaddafi is generally looked down upon in the current political climate, it would appear that more people are longing for the stable days of old. Coupled with the Green Resistance, it would appear that some people are starting to realise the mess they are in as a result of the revolution in 2011.

www.rt.com...

edit on 4-8-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
his biggest mistake was to not join our club.
we cant have that, he went down like a lot of others.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Understandable. Compare life there now to when the Colonel was in charge............

1.There is no electricity bill in Libya; electricity is free for all its citizens.
2. There is no interest on loans, banks in Libya are state-owned and loans given to all its citizens at zero percent interest by law.
3. Having a home considered a human right in Libya.
4. All newlyweds in Libya receive $60,000 dinar (U.S.$50,000) by the government to buy their first apartment so to help start up the family.
5. Education and medical treatments are free in Libya. Before Gaddafi only 25 percent of Libyans were literate. Today, the figure is 83 percent.
6. Should Libyans want to take up farming career, they would receive farming land, a farming house, equipments, seeds and livestock to kickstart their farms are all for free.
7. If Libyans cannot find the education or medical facilities they need, the government funds them to go abroad, for it is not only paid for, but they get a U.S.$2,300/month for accommodation and car allowance.
8. If a Libyan buys a car, the government subsidizes 50 percent of the price.
9. The price of petrol in Libya is $0.14 per liter.
10. Libya has no external debt and its reserves amounting to $150 billion are now frozen globally.
11. If a Libyan is unable to get employment after graduation the state would pay the average salary of the profession, as if he or she is employed, until employment is found.
12. A portion of every Libyan oil sale is credited directly to the bank accounts of all Libyan citizens.
13. A mother who gives birth to a child receive U.S.$5,000.
14. 40 loaves of bread in Libya costs $0.15.
15. 25 percent of Libyans have a university degree.
16. Gaddafi carried out the world’s largest irrigation project, known as the Great Manmade River project, to make water readily available throughout the desert country.
disinfo.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Indeed. I recall reading that some of the information in the list is incorrect, but most of it was apparently more or less true for Libya under Muammar Gaddafi.

It's unfortunate to see a country which was once the most prosperous and stable state in its region to be in endless war and chaos. Any cursory look at the stats will show just how far Libya has fallen since Gaddafi's disposal.

The Green Resistance has been fighting for Gaddafi's policies since the original revolution ended. It will be interesting to see if more public support is expressed for them and the former Jamahiriya. It would be quite ironic considering the events which led up to the 2011 revolution.
edit on 4-8-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
my own belief, and i may be wrong.
was that the whole rebellion was sponsered from outside the country.
i believe the "rebels" were mostly from outside the country too.
it was nothing more than a takeover of a country that wouldnt play along.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

I agree to an extent. I think some of the original protestors were normal Libyans, and that the uprising eventually attracted foreign fighters and increased international support. I think it is comparable to Syria, where the original protestors were average people, but later got highjacked by others.

Ultimately though, there is no denying that Libya was intensely interfered with by outside forces, and it is such a shame to see the state of a country which was once so prosperous. It will take them decades to recover from the events of the past 4 years. I expect more people to rise up against the current institutions as the country slides deeper into despair.
edit on 5-8-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

You can have chemical weapons and torture your citizens, but your own currency is a no no.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

well said.
i will never in my life forget Hilary's little victory dance, dancing around as mr. ghadafi was
sodamized with a bayonet...it was very sick to see her glee.
he suffered an inhumane death and her eyes were wide with joy.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51

well said.
i will never in my life forget Hilary's little victory dance, dancing around as mr. ghadafi was
sodamized with a bayonet...it was very sick to see her glee.
he suffered an inhumane death and her eyes were wide with joy.

I agree. it was abhorrent.

The footage of Gaddafi's last moments is something which i will never forget. Footage on the news hardly impacts me, but there was something about the circumstances of Gaddafi's death and the international reaction which i couldn't understand. It was disgusting.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

True, it was a disgusting spectacle, but the true disgust belongs with those people who perpetrated those cruel and despicable acts. They are the ones who are truly SICK.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think it was awful the way we were manipulated into believing Gaddafi was killing his own people and then we watched the total destruction of the Libyan army by bombing the hell out of the country.
It was a plan that was concocted by at least Britain and France.
They tried the same with Assad in Syria but Russia put a stop to it.
Enter Isis.......strange they're based in Syria and the west and others are bombing that country.
Syria will end up the same......but I hope not.

top topics

join