It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas facing an increase in unwanted pregnancies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Texas's Unwanted Baby Boom

www.thedailybeast.com...

The above article tells how the draconian policies in the war against women in Texas have resulted in a boom in unwanted pregnancies. It is close to impossible for a woman to get an abortion in Texas. There are more unwanted pregnancies because of this, and an increase in desperation measures such as getting illegal drugs from Mexico to induce an abortion. It really opened my eyes.

I was flabbergasted when I read the article. I knew things were getting bad, but this is beyond the pale.

A friend of mine mentioned something that really made me think of the irony. All these people want to get rid of Planned Parenthood. But don't you realize that the more unwanted pregnancies, the higher the demand for abortions? The irony is if you want less abortions, the last think you should want to do is get rid of Planned Parenthood.

But I am a mere woman. A woman who feels It's nobody's damn business what I want to do with my body.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Be good time for anti abortionist to open their doors and wallets. Oh wait, they are not responsible after the birth. /s

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
They could try personal responsibility and birth control

Accidents happen of course.

But "unwanted" pregnancies is a very broad term

At some point people have to be accountable for their actions

Also. You can get an abortion in just about any major city here so

Not sure where their facts or proof is but pp is alive and well here and every highschool has sex Ed. And it's not abstinence only

edit on 8/4/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You might also be interested in this article.

The Rise of the DIY Abortion in Texas

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Also. You can get an abortion in just about any major city here sooooooo

For a very high cost and a long trip that many can nowhere near afford.

ETA: Again, abortion has been a fact of human life since there has been human life. No women who does not wish to be pregnant, no matter what her reasons, is going to stay pregnant. That isn't the discussion here. The discussion is do we take away choices and safety and leave women to hang out there on their own for abortions and for other care or do we try to impose our own personal values on them?
edit on 8/4/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

A very long trip? I'm in the middle of BFE and it's literally only 50 miles to a pp facility

You're telling me they can do all the stuff they do day to day but can't get an abortion in the nearest city they probably buy groceries in?

Call bs

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

A very long trip? I'm in the middle of BFE and it's literally only 50 miles to a pp facility

You're telling me they can do all the stuff they do day to day but can't get an abortion in the nearest city they probably buy groceries in?

Call bs

Those PP facilities you some so want to shut down?

Interesting.

Texas Abortion Clinic Map **FIXED LINK

I'm calling BS on you.
edit on 8/4/2015 by ~Lucidity because: to correct an erroneous assumption

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Wait a moment... an abortion occurs *after* pregnancy has already been confirmed. Thus, in no logical way whatsoever can few abortions = more unwanted pregnancies. I believe the word the article is searching for, the word which is an anathema to the pro-choice crowd when used in the abortion debate, is "baby." Unwanted pregnancies, in an absence of abortion, equal more babies. This may be directly due to the fact that a baby often accompanies the medical condition known as "pregnant" or "with child" in the vernacular used in kinder, more humane times in human history.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well, it looks as if that whole "abstinence" thingy is working great!!!

Yeay religion!!!

GO stupidity GO!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Wait a moment... an abortion occurs *after* pregnancy has already been confirmed. Thus, in no logical way whatsoever can few abortions = more unwanted pregnancies. I believe the word the article is searching for, the word which is an anathema to the pro-choice crowd when used in the abortion debate, is "baby." Unwanted pregnancies, in an absence of abortion, equal more babies. This may be directly due to the fact that a baby often accompanies the medical condition known as "pregnant" or "with child" in the vernacular used in kinder, more humane times in human history.

Not having access to affordable birth control or counseling can also result in unwanted pregnancies.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Call bs

Only 50 miles? You're kidding right? 50 miles for someone who may not even have a vehicle or means to go that far? Unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

all the counseling and birth control in the world is not going to stop this.
people have hormones
and people are stupid
that is a recipe for babies

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

no supporting stats or facts in the article !!!!

another phony hyperbole BS story.

Here come the locusts.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
Only 50 miles? You're kidding right? 50 miles for someone who may not even have a vehicle or means to go that far? Unbelievable.

Can't help but notice how "inconvenience" seems to play such a huge role here...
It's "inconvenient" to keep it in your pants when you don't have convenient birth control on hand.
That baby is an "inconvenience" so it needs to be terminated.
Getting somewhere 50 miles away is an "inconvenience" so we need clinics dispersed according to the Starbucks model.

Life isn't a convenience. At some point I would hope humanity would mature enough to recognize that fact... but it sure as hell doesn't seem like America is at the forefront of that maturation process these days.

link   
a reply to: Mugly

True, but it's better to have it there should they need or want it than to not have it at all. Call that pragmatic if nothing else, eh?

link   

of course.
the take no responsibility for anything argument.
its too far away. they dont have a car.

always some excuse to not own up to #

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

a reply to: Mugly

True, but it's better to have it there should they need or want it than to not have it at all. Call that pragmatic if nothing else, eh?

i agree.
it certainly does not hurt.
still though. cant cure stupid

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Who said I wanted to shut them down?

Yet another assumption.

Good job

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Who said I wanted to shut them down?

Yet another assumption.

Good job

Oh. My bad. I made that assumption from reading your posts in other threads. So correct me and summarize your issue with abortion and/or PP if you don't mind. Is it just the allegation of selling baby parts you take issue with?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Well, it looks as if that whole "abstinence" thingy is working great!!!

Yeay religion!!!

GO stupidity GO!!!

Speaking of stupid. I guess personal responsibility should fall into that " stupid" thing too eh?!

Ps I went to school here.

My niece just graduated.

It's not abstinence only

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join