It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing U.S. Support for Book Banning

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
i dont believe all these polls anyway..theres always an agenda behind them.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
OK....WHo polled the writers of Footloose? Come on tell me or there will be no cake for you!! lol.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
They can't ban the instinct that causes infatuation with these types of works.

They can however - as taxpayer funded publc institutions - limit availability to younger persons who have not yet proven themselves able to handle the subject matter therein. Then those kids will just run off and write their own secret fan-fictions and diaries to compensate for what they cannot obtain elsewhere.

You know, I really don't care anymore. I've seen so much on the internet that makes me want to vomit it's unreal....and I'm a pretty laid back open minded type who is no stranger to the limits of manifest human sickness. But my gods. It's beyond the pale out there.

I spent the majority of my school career in Texas, and there were heavy restrictions on what was and was not allowed to be carried in the libraries. We still had the occultist kids and teen sex, unwanted pregnancies, abortions, criminal activities and all that sort of stuff....but you know what? It certainly wasn't as out of control and widespread as it is these days.

The kids back then at least were smart enough to know fantasy from fiction and a lot of the younger generations are getting so far-removed from reality lately with the scope of pop culture influence, it almost makes sense to pull back the reigns a bit and take over where too many parents are failing - and failing HARD - at raising balanced and respectable kids.

I spend most of my days at the local bookstore and for a while the shelves were absolutely dripping with blood soaked titles cashing in on the vampire phenomenon and some titles trying to cash in on the 50 Shades of Grey aberration. I also know of local folks who read almost nothing outside of the Bible and some of them are just as imbalanced a zealotry so it's no easy fix either way.

Moderation and compromise.
Parental controls and societal measures.
Balance.

And yes, these are all popular genres, but it also gets overdone and to ridiculous proportions.

Have you read how far grammar and plot structure has fallen in these massive big sellers? IQ of 70 at best required. It's not even challenging it's just pure elementary gratification at it's lowest levels. And it rubs off on behavior in some. Not a good standard to base a future population on. You want sociopaths? That's how you get sociopaths.

I've seen teenagers cop attitude with adults because they think they're "all that" based on their favorite fantasy novels and drama plays. Ask anyone trying to raise a sociopathic prima-donna princess who won't take no for an answer and makes up lies about "being raped" or whatever nonsense she's gotten into her head from others as a manipulative tactic to throw her weight around or an abusive son who flies into a rage over the slightest inconvenience because he's too hyped up on video game "warfare" and thinks he's the end all be all to alpha males.

It's annoying to think it might have come full circle again to these types of mandates and as much as I hate to admit it, the public ban of certain literature in school and public libraries for kids who are still establishing their mental foundations seems perfectly acceptable to me.

The kids who are wise don't need that trash and the ones who are stupid can't handle the material maturely anyway.

This obsession with treating teenagers as unaccountable untouchables is ridiculous....they're going to get their hands on it one way or another, it's just better to not spoon feed the psychopaths.

If you are vehemently opposed to the idea, just start handing out heroin to kids like they did in the 90's. Why not, right? Worked great didn't it? Anything goes at that point. Prozac and suicides for everyone!

*sheesh*
/end sarcasm

~ sincerely,
a Girl Who Read Banned Books

edit on 8/4/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
So society has gone from:

Burning witches

to

Burning books

to

Burning crosses

to

Burning bras

to

Burning books again ?

2 points for anyone who can figure out what's wrong with this picture....

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

We haven't found a way to provide an alternative energy resource out of burning all those combustibles? Beats me man, this planet is insane.

edit on 8/4/15 by GENERAL EYES because: ugh formatting again sorry

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

You forgot records, cassette tapes, CDs, and bridges.

Hmm. Lots of burning. Is that the first resort of the closed minded?

ETA:I just had a thought. As a guy, I'd say that the bra burning isn't really a bad thing. I'll shut up now.
edit on 4-8-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: RealTruthSeeker
Banning books won't make any difference when you have the internet.

First, they trick us into allowing this to happen under guidelines that are quickly abused.
Then, one day the internet gets pulled. That's right completely pulled.
Except for sanctioned apps that only take you to places like citibank or walmart or cabbalas or google maps, etc.

Everything else, gone. Forever.

Welcome to the next 100 years of the new Dark Ages.

Someone should make a hard copy of the internet and build a really large secret library...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I don't think it's that complicated really.

Simple ignorance, compounded by a lack of common sense.

Why else would Harry Potter be challenged? That hardly challenges the status quo. Promotes witchcraft...that's ignorance speaking there, nothing more. Not that that excuses it, but not horribly nefarious, just stupid.

MHO, of course.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Let's ban the banners that support the banning of books.

…and send them to Vanuatu.

Screw sending the banners to Vanuatu , send me , a fortnight would do nicely for me to see the error of my ways .

Somewhere like this would be nice .

Oh this was about book banners , well im one , here i am .

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I must be too young to remember the "burning bras" movement.

Are you implying that we will soon be "burning witches" again, continuing on with this destructive cycle? I'd believe it.. we certainly seem to be regressing to more primal behaviors in the past few years (look at the riots and us vs. them mentality, people being SOOOO offended by every little thing, more violence amongst youth, etc.)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Tyranny and the rise of dystopian powers certainly have a pattern we must very careful to never repeat these patterns surely death and destruction is on the horizon for millions upon millions in the event that we do not take heed.history doesn't repeat it rhymes.

Smh

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Germany 1932. Why didn't the Germans do anything to stop it?
I guess that question can be answered by Americans... in 2025.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

You left put burning a few foreign countries in between some of those

And, to answer the points thing, pretty much all but the bra part.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This reminds me of the film equilibrium.

Oh and yea, best keep books about vampires away from kids. They will all be filing their teeth and wearing capes if we don't.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I wonder how many people supporting this crap read 50 Shades Of Grey?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I shall start to really worry when 'they' start burning books, people who burns books eventually burn people...
A quote from a German in the 1930's.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
When people think or even suggest that some books should be banned completely in any way or form, it means that the particular population portion of that society has already been brainwashed, nobody that the right to push into others what they see as right or wrong, as adults we all have the right to find out of ourselves.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The banning of books is, and always has been, an effort to control information available to the mass of the population and open the door to controlled, indoctrination.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

The PC movement extends to far more than books and creeps into lunacy

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Didn't the people who want to ban a lot of these older books read the same ones when they were kids? Didn't seem to hurt them much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join