It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Updated: Cops Say Video of Them Eating Marijuana Edibles During a Raid Violated Their Privacy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I really see this as Dumb and Dumber; by that I mean eating Marijuana edibles on the job without paying for them is dumb. But claiming "that officers thought they had disabled all of the security cameras at Sky High Holistic and therefore had a reasonable expectation of privacy" is dumber!

California, cops who were caught on video munching on what seem to be cannabis-infused chocolate bars after raiding an unlicensed medical marijuana dispensary in May? The Orange County Register reports that three officers who were suspended after the incident are trying to stop the Santa Ana Police Department from using the footage in its internal investigation. Among other things, their lawsuit argues that the officers thought they had disabled all of the security cameras at Sky High Holistic and therefore had a reasonable expectation of privacy. The cops complain that the dispensary never got their permission to record them as they searched the premises.

"All police personnel present had a reasonable expectation that their conversations were no longer being recorded and the undercover officers, feeling that they were safe to do so, removed their masks," says the complaint, which was filed in Orange County Superior Court. "Without the illegal recordings, there would have been no internal investigation of any officer." Under California law, "all parties to a confidential communication" must consent to being recorded, but that rule does not apply when "the parties to the communication may reasonably expect that the communication may be overheard or recorded."

source

Update:

It gets even better:

The three officers have received threats since the raid and have incurred damages, including attorney’s fees and lost wages, according to the suit

source

They want money in their suit, now isn't that rich!

edit on 4-8-2015 by AlaskanDad because: update with another source and more information

edit on 4-8-2015 by AlaskanDad because: Added tag line they want money....

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Bwahahahaha...aaahhhhahahahaha...omg! Best laugh of the day! It's been a stressful long no rest little sleep kinda day too. I needed that!

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
These revolting officers are so low in morals that I am practically speechless. If this was that raid I'm thinking of where that foul woman officer made fun of the disabled lady, then I guess I can expect them to pull this bulldust. They can shove their claim of privacy right up there 'terms of service'.

+11 more 
link   
LEO's should get no privacy while on the job. Nothing to fear nothing to hide.

Though what they did should not be considered a crime outside of theft and getting high while on duty.

+35 more 
link   
Those weren't Officers - those were opportunists and criminals in a uniform.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Under California law, "all parties to a confidential communication" must consent to being recorded, but that rule does not apply when "the parties to the communication may reasonably expect that the communication may be overheard or recorded."

So in California you must give your permission to places that have security camera's, to record you??!!!??
Is that what im reading here?

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Evidence control. Epic Fail. Need more shooting and possibly a fire next time.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Under California law, "all parties to a confidential communication" must consent to being recorded, but that rule does not apply when "the parties to the communication may reasonably expect that the communication may be overheard or recorded."

So in California you must give your permission to places that have security camera's, to record you??!!!??
Is that what im reading here?

The little blinking red LED on the cam out in the open is your official expectation setter.

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Police complaining about their rights being violated??? Oh the irony.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

FTA:

Sky High's lawyer, Matthew Pappas

said:

"They knew they were on video....Just because they missed one camera doesn’t make it illegal."

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Thank you for posting this.

When this first happened one of the FIRST things I said was that this is video proof of them doing illegal drugs while on duty.

They should be fired. But I am glad they were at least suspended (with pay?).

That said, once again, the rationale is not that what they were doing was illegal, but they got caught.

Scum.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Among other things, their lawsuit argues that the officers thought they had disabled all of the security cameras at Sky High Holistic and therefore had a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Man, talk about reaching!!

"Your honor, my clients were under the impression they could do what ever they want and no one else would know."
edit on thTue, 04 Aug 2015 18:05:38 -0500America/Chicago820153880 by Sremmos80 because: no,know,no

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
They're taking supposedly illegal narcotics on the job.
They are stealing these items.
They are destroying evidence.
They did a very poor job of disabling the surveillance equipment.
They didn't like that they got caught.

Am I missing anything?

Also, only three suspended? I count a lot more than three police in the video. Perhaps only three took the "Edibles," but the others technically SHOULD have arrested them for theft, taking illegal narcotics/on the job, destroying evidence...
Funny how that works, isn't it? No reprimand for aiding and abetting. No reprimand for being an accessory to the crime. No reprimand for allowing a crime to be committed.

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Not only getting high while on duty, but also without possession of a medical marijuana recommendation from a Dr. It is still illegal unless you have your papers. Also did they then get into their SQUAD CARS and DRIVE?????? That is also a DUI.

edit on 4-8-2015 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2015 by kurthall because: Added

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

I missed that. Good catch.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

This is proof positive that we have no expectations of fairness, righteousness or safety from the police.

So, if someone breaks into my home and is picked up by my home safety monitors, does this mean the thief can take legal action against me for video taping him without his consent?

Or does this get out of jail free card only work if you are a cop?

edit on 4-8-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Glitch

edit on 4-8-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: My computer is dying.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

They think they are privy to privacy...ha. They should be under more scrutiny that the American Public.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Security cameras are entitled to be on 24/7...for security, nothing to stop them from being online either!
what a bunch of dicks!

O
ops! nearly forgot the video,

edit on 4-8-2015 by smurfy because: Video.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
These jackass cops remind me of Denzel Washington and his crew in 'Training Day'.. Just bad people with badges. What's funny (or sad) is that these cops probably believe they're good people....
edit on 4-8-2015 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It gets even better:

The three officers have received threats since the raid and have incurred damages, including attorney’s fees and lost wages, according to the suit

source

Sounds like the officers want some money besides their jobs back!

Are they getting 40 hrs a week in paid leave and suing for lost overtime, (scratches head) I really do wonder about that?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join