It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur Swallowing Human Fossil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Anyone else seen this? A colleague of mine forwarded me the link.

Allegedly a fossil of a dino swallowing a human. Considering the source,
it's a little iffy, but intriguing nonetheless.

Interested in thoughts.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by mattison0922]

[edit on 29-12-2004 by mattison0922]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Link didn't work for me. But judging from the pic..... There are a few good examples of critters that apparently died while eating. Those fossils have their prey lodged in the throat areas of the predator. This is way different. If this is a real fossil (I seriously doubt it.) It isn't apparent to me that the dino was swallowing the ape-like critter to the left. Plus no fossils of an advanced ape as seen in the pic have been discovered concurrent with dinos.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Sorry about the link... try again... should work now.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Plus no fossils of an advanced ape as seen in the pic have been discovered concurrent with dinos.

I think this is the point.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Interesting photo but the fossil doesn't seem to resemble anything remotely ape like - the skull is reptilian, for a start.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
thanks for the laugh !

TPL

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Looks fake to be honest, the 'ape' skeleton looks too complete.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by TPL]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrisjohns
Interesting photo but the fossil doesn't seem to resemble anything remotely ape like - the skull is reptilian, for a start.

The skull is distinctly not reptilian, assuming you are talking about the critter being eaten. Follow the link and look at the close up contained beneath the original image.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Last I checked, apes and humans didn't have tails....

The vertebrae is extending WAY too far, and there is no pelvis. This is screaming fake, or misidentification at best...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Last I checked, apes and humans didn't have tails....

The vertebrae is extending WAY too far, and there is no pelvis. This is screaming fake, or misidentification at best...

Tail? What tail? You can't see the end of the backbone. And since when is an incomplete fossil considered a fake on the basis of its lack of completeness? What percentage of fossils, especially ancient primate fossils are found complete? All incomplete fossils are not dismissed as fakes why should this one be? Oh yeah, because it disagrees with current dogma.

I am not saying this isn't a fake, but we shouldn't dismiss what we see as a fake simply because it doesn't conform to our beliefs.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The pics in the continuation of this article kind of lead me to the conclusion that this is indeed faked, call it a gut feeling. The skull of the theropod dino seems to be laying on the surface and not in the surrounding matrix. The fossil hominid does seem amazingly intact. The lack of pelvic bones does raise doubt as well. Yes, I agree that the prey animal may have been shredded a bit, but it is very intact as is. Curious.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Its fake. Human fossils are rare and intact skeletons are unheard of

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
If you haven't already looked at the source, look now. I will wait.

That is right. Bibleland Studios! Haha.

Surf

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This reminds me of the thread of a professor which burried bones and challenged the students by saying it was a valid dig site and wanted to see who would believe him.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is actually a fraud, a hoax actually, created by some researchers as an april fools joke. They made the thing as a plaster cast or something like that, buried it partially, and, voila. Apparently they were actually thinking about evolution and creationism and thought, man, what would really be what you'd want to show evolution is wrong.

NOTICE i am not saying that they were 'evilutionists' trying to discredit creationism, nor that they were 'cretinists' trying to fabricate evidence. I -recall- that being how they came up with it, but it was intended as a joke, and they created a web page about how they did it.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I see no one else noted this, so let me provide some of the relevant links

the original page about it
The explanation page
For a more thorough explanation and details of how they did it

Apparently, people on all sides of the debate were tricked.

Its one of those things that'd've been really great and interesting if true.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Nice shootin' there Nygdan! Good to see yer still posting!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Nygdan,

I was hoping you would see this. Thanks for the info. I promise I am working on 'it' actually it's mostly done, but I've just been lazy about tracking down a couple of things, and will get to it in the near future. Promise

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I was familiar with it from the past, its a pretty incredible pic and its one of those things that you just have to find an answer for.

I notice in the bibleland forum in the original post link, that no one knows that its fake, but I don't have an account there and don't feel like getting one. Maybe someone else does?

Kent Hovind apparently got 'punked' by this also (tho getting 'punked' implies direct intention I suppose. Ashton Kutcher would be proud, well, if he knew what was going on anyway).

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yep! April Fools!

www.nmsr.org...

WHY DID WE DO IT?

Earlier this year, I debated Paul Gammill at our January 13th NMSR meeting. Gammill presented the case for "Intelligent Design," and I presented the case for "Evolution." Both of us had agreed to present hypothetical findings which could, in principle, falsify the theory each of us was defending. One of the arguments I presented as something which would certainly call evolution into question, if it were ever discovered, would be to find the bones of a human and a dinosaur inextricably linked, as shown below.

"Onyate Man" began life as a cartoon by David E. Thomas. Kim Johnson had the idea of making this illustration the basis of our annual April Fool's prank. Mark Boslough added the final touch: the name "Onyate Man."

Let's face it. The typical creationist arguments against evolution are ineffectual and weak. As German colleagues Hanz and Franz would say, the typical "Too much dust on the moon" or "Evolution violates the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics" creationist arguments are wimpy, pathetic "Girly-man" evidence. If creationists want to impress real scientists, they must start supplying "manly-man" evidence - like Onyate Man would have been, if only he had been Real.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join