It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can turn off Windows 10 Spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I've seen a few people worried about the privacy issues with the new Win 10, but some might not be aware that most of these can be disabled quite easily. Just click on the notifications icon on the bottom right, then "all settings," "privacy" and choose which you aren't happy with. I chose to turn them off during installation but some were still set to "on." Of course, nobody really knows what options MS decided not to include in that list, but it does seem quite complete.

If you aren't aware of how they use your data:

When you acquire, install and use the Programme software and services, Microsoft collects information about your use of the software and services as well as about the devices and networks on which they operate. Examples of data we may collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage. For example, when you: install or use Programme software and services, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility (e.g., to help devices and apps work together), when you use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing (e.g., to help the service better translate speech into text), when you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file and how long it takes to use it for purposes such as improving performance (e.g., to help retrieve documents more quickly), or when you input text, handwrite notes or ink comments, we may collect samples of your input to improve these input features, (e.g., to help improve the accuracy of auto-complete and spellcheck).

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
yea. the first thing I did after install was literally shut all things "automatic" , tweaked my reg, changed most MS start-up and background services that still lingered even after they 'appeared' to have been turned off in the basic settings.
I read some of the privacy notice and its insane.
similar to google and their google+ and google photo fiasco, you have to dig deep to shut default options completely off.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Here is the CMD for God Mode on win 10

Create a folder, name it: GodMode.[ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C]

Enabling GodMode for Windows 10

Seems to be the same from win 7. Can someone do this and report if there is more privacy settings to change within this magical folder?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sharted

What if the privacy switch we are playing with is a fool's switch

Meaning it has no impact

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Greg987

Yeah, then they start to spy even more on people that protect their privacy.

Reminds me of the "do not track" option.
"Ok let's track this user..."
"Hey, wait!" You can't track him, he clicked the "do not track" button!"

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Greg987

I agree with you and there's no reason to think they won't track you even if it is disabled, but to be fair they didn't have to include the option to turn things off in the first place. Though someone mentioned that turning it off might mean you have something to hide and therefore make them watch you, hah, who knows.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Doesn't matter if you turn this stuff off they will still know what you are doing. I'd do it anyway though just in case. But the main thing you should keep hidden is your camera. I cover mine up with black tap, I don't like the idea that someone might be watching everything in my house. Plus I heard that your camera can activated even when your computer is not on, so I keep my tapped up.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Did you remember to look at the Task Scheduler?

new topics

top topics

join