It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caitlyn... Check Yourself!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Comparing being Transgender to saying you are a Unicorn has no merit and is laughable to even try.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Well as a unicorn 'she' is still a stallion not a gelding

(post by eyeinoz removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Just because somebody trades a hotdog for a doughnut-or swapped an outy for an inny (if you like) doesn't really change what they are. All it means is they've been surgically altered. Other people shouldn't have to pretend that it does.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

It's about their Gender-Identity, from birth she has been a She, i don't think she is asking anyone to pretend, just to be recognized as herself

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Potatoe and Potahto. Whichever you like.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I am willing to bet, there is some kind of sexual abuse, in many of these transgender cases..

As far as gennar, or whatever his name, caring about poor, transgenders, sincerely I highly doubt it..

Gennar's sex change, and how he err she feels about it seems to be the sensation in the USA, this summer..

Not Iran, not russia, not the climate change, not the circus of a POTUS election in 2016, erm nope, just this guy from a reality tv show who used to throw a javelin, becoming a woman, and how important it is...

Well to me I don't give a damn, I find it offensive, that I have to have an opinion on something that has been taboo, for decades if not centuries in the USA to all of a sudden say it is ok because the news says so..

Personally I do not care who people sleep with, or love etc, but to make it out as something special to my society and culture, when you get a sex change, I wonder who the hell you think you are sensationalizing it...

Yet if you want to screw with nature be my guest....

I just find it weird man, I am not going to debate or argue over a transgender so don't bother, and if you reply to me, I will just say you might be right, and touche, it is my opinion..

I will say thou THANK GOD I AM NOT A Kardashian , that whole genetic pool seems screwed up.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I knew that CJ as the forefront ipso defacto representative of the Trans community would bring this kind of stupidity and negative attention our way. I've said as much too and think someone like Kristin Beck would have been a much better poster child. In fact she did an interview with Anderson Cooper well before there was any public talk about Jenner but that special didn't get nearly as much attention. What does that say about our society that we care more about some attention monger that is directly affiliated with the Kartrashian circus and D-bag of the decade Kanye (who I firmly believe to be a closet homosexual) than a decorated veteran who has served their country honorably and been pretty much a exemplary citizen who in her post career has done much to help troubled vets.

Nah we don't care about the good people, they aren't entertaining. Sick and saddening.

t reply to: Skid Mark
edit on CDTTue, 04 Aug 2015 21:15:17 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago04-05:00Tue, 04 Aug 2015 21:15:17 -050015 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

I think Laverne Cox should get, and deserves far more attention than she gets... i am not defending Caitlyn Jenner as a Person, but i will defend people purposely saying offensive things and slurs towards her and the Transgender community. Especially if they are too ignorant to actually research Trans issues

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Should I stay out of this or do we need more trans lessons?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Some of these replies are kind of beyond me. I fully expected the Conservative tropes - and even predicted them in the OP. What I surprised about is the defensiveness from people I am assuming to be representative of the LBGT community.

If people want to get hung up on my honest disclaimer about knowing a transsexual person who really pisses me off and who has caused a great deal of real world trouble for my family? I can't help that. In the end I feel that being open about my possible biases was honest and allows for others to simply say "Sorry you had that experience. Have faith that the person you are discussing is the exception and not the rule!" But either way, it's not the subject nor the point.

The point is that Caitlyn Jenner has either positioned herself, or allowed herself to be positioned by others, as an ambassador ( for lack of a better term ) of tolerance. She is currently enjoying a level of acceptance and protection from attack that, quite honestly, most other trans or gay people cannot even begin to fathom - as they face bigotry and hate incessantly and without the insulation of wealth and fame.

For her to make intolerant and ignorant statements about other downtrodden groups is appalling to me. Specifically because she is directly effected by the issue of intolerance and ignorance. It's rank elitism as I see it.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: EKron

I don't know about you but I think I am close to giving up on some of these people. Every goddam time a transgender person is brought up, every single freakin' person who thinks they should have an opinion regardless of their knowledge just has to do one of the following:

- Claim they also identify with something silly (like attack helicopters or a different ethnicity) in an effort to sound clever.
- Insist, by golly, that the person in question will never be their actual gender citing either chromosomes, genitalia, or whatever goal post destination they decide to move them to.
- In the case of transwomen, insist they will never be "real" women since they can't reproduce, thus alienating all ciswomen who can't have children due to age or medical reasons.
- Bring up articles from a conservative, a third-wave feminist, or a Christian blog totally "refuting" known science.
- Bring up one of the many false cliches that still linger.
- Purposefully use the wrong pronouns, even though it's just as easy to use the correct ones, with the explicit purpose of being a hurtful asshat.

And these are things people bring up when it's not even about the person being transgender! I know there are tons more that get recycled and, every time, these people think it's clever repeating whatever AM news radio rabid announcer they listened to last... I don't even know what to say anymore.

It's hurtful. It's stupid. And it's damned near every time.
edit on 4-8-2015 by Cuervo because: Grammar

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Cuervo, not everyone is saying that. It's like any other topic here.

Some are pro, some are con. Some are smartasses (me) and some just want to bully or hurt..

It's life.

Don't let it get you down.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I get what you are saying. She has an easy time dismissing the poor as lazy while she is probably lazier herself. I definitely do not agree with her comments.

I also have yet to figure out what kind of welfare people like her are talking about - the only kind that would allow someone to have enough money to live on for life would be disability, which is for disabled people and makes sense. I have also heard that veteran's benefits and retirement can do the same thing.

The rest either force people to work / don't provide enough to live on without a job, or only last for a certain number of weeks per lifetime.
edit on 04pmTue, 04 Aug 2015 23:23:59 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Cuervo, not everyone is saying that. It's like any other topic here.

Some are pro, some are con. Some are smartasses (me) and some just want to bully or hurt..

It's life.

Don't let it get you down.

I know, Beezzer; thank you.

I guess I have my limits like everybody else. I can normally ignore it but it's hard sometimes when it's so personal. I know not everybody is like that but there's always somebody like that who is just waiting to crap on others.
edit on 4-8-2015 by Cuervo because: clarity

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
The point is that Caitlyn Jenner has either positioned herself, or allowed herself to be positioned by others

And in my opinion, the comment you are referring to is just as likely to be scripted as it is spontaneous. Even if genuine, it was left in deliberately so we could all be feel good that some elderly, conservative republican rich and isolated celebrity views on social programs might actually be changed by all the poor trans kids living on the street or supporting themselves with sex work.

It is television, after all. Don't be played.

I think what Ms. Jenner is trying to do is admirable and awareness and understanding of these matters is important but still not beyond manipulation and someone's agenda. Watch all this turn around in the next episode or two as she realizes the errors of her ways. I'm not saying this is a bad thing or that this show won't shed more light on these issues but again, it is television and ratings count. Jenner's comments generated enough buzz to get their own thread on ATS. Disregarding what Jenner is trying to do, the producers, editors and directors are doing their job well.

And for what it's worth, Cuervo is right, people intentionally using the wrong pronouns are total asshats.
edit on Tue Aug 4th 2015 by EKron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: EKron

I know right? It seems we have a well staffed crew to mop up the overflow of cis-ignorance?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I absolutely agree and wonder the same thing, but stay strong girl in the future all these cis-ignorants will be seen as being on the wrong side. Science, history, and I'd go so far as to say God are on our side. : )

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: honested3

I absolutely agree and wonder the same thing, but stay strong girl in the future all these cis-ignorants will be seen as being on the wrong side. Science, history, and I'd go so far as to say God are on our side. : )

Clue me in, how does hetero bashing and using terms like "cis-ignorants" help spread understanding and acceptance again?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
Clue me in, how does hetero bashing and using terms like "cis-ignorants" help spread understanding and acceptance again?

Good point.

This is purely reactionary based on the way transgender people have usually been treated and perhaps a preemptive strike against the hate and negativity directed at them over and over again.

Heck, "transgender" is such a broad term, those of us here lumped together under this umbrella don't even all get along. Even if one restricts the use of the word transsexual to those that have completed all medical procedures including sexual reassignment surgery, there are two distinct etiologies involved here that don't get along with each other as well. It doesn't take being cis to be considered prejudiced, bigoted and ignorant.

Is it any wonder when some act a little defensively? I don't hetero bash because that's what I'm considered and enjoy cis privilege in my daily life and know not all in this stratum of society are ignorant. It's just that this is where most of the crap comes from and the ones most in need of enlightenment. It can be hard to be all warm and fuzzy to those that have typically been enemies but here's an olive branch and extended hand to hopefully bridge this gap one of these days.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join