It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Did Not Repeal the Ban on Medical Marijuana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

First, the rider expires at the end of next September and may or may not be renewed. Second, federal prosecution of particular growers or dispensaries does not, strictly speaking, prevent states from implementing their medical marijuana laws, since it does not force states to punish activities they have decided to stop treating as crimes. Third, even if we read the rider as prohibiting raids, arrests, prosecutions, and forfeiture actions aimed at people complying with state law, who those people are remains a matter of dispute in California and other states that do not explicitly allow dispensaries. In those states, where the rules for supplying medical marijuana remain fuzzy, people do still "need to worry about federal drug agents raiding retail operations."

Finally, the Justice Department is not the only source of tension in this area. The Rohrabacher amendment has no impact on actions by the IRS or the Treasury Department that make it difficult for medical marijuana suppliers to pay their taxes and obtain banking services. Solving those problems will require changing the statutes those agencies are charged with enforcing.

reason.com...

This thread is meant to balance out the following thread:

Congress quietly ends federal government's ban on medical marijuana
www.abovetopsecret.com...

How could everyone here miss a minor detail like "the rider expires at the end of next September and may or may not be renewed"?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Congress used the same tactic to make sure DC didn't get to legalize weed either. They placed a ride in the legislation that prevented DC from using any of it's budget to enact the law, even though 70% of people in DC voted in favor of legalization.

John Oliver had a wonderful special about it on Sunday.

In any case, until DC gets it's full statehood, you can expect Congress to keep shafting them.

You are right however, until the Controlled Substance Act is changed to remove MJ as a Schedule 1 drug, nothing will really change. The DEA can do as it pleases.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Well...and its not like a minor inconvenience like the law would stop the DEA from doing what it pleases.

www.businessinsider.com...

El Chapo, head of the Sinaloa cartel, recently escaped prison. He was only imprisoned because the deal he had with the DEA went south.

We made him. And now all of a sudden he is the "enemy". Despite him being exactly what we made him to be: the head of the largest drug cartel in Mexico. Before the US made him, the SInaloa Cartel was a small, unheard of group.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
"" Congress Did Not Repeal the Ban on Medical Marijuana ""

Well this will certainly spin heads.

Not only did many people "forget" about the original story, it seems many people actually didn't know what they thought they knew they were finding out.

Confusing as Hell.

edit on Aug-04-2015 by xuenchen because: [fumble-phlop]

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Congress recently made attempts to reign in the DEA and its power by cutting and reallocating funds used for interfering with industrial hemp, CBD cannabis oil, and medical marijuana in states where they are legal.

Source

"Congress dealt a major blow to the DEA by ending their invasive and offensive bulk data collection programs and by cutting their budget, said Bill Piper, director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance. "The more the DEA ignores commonsense drug policy, the more they will see their agency’s power and budget come under deeper scrutiny."

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well now this is confusing.

Other thread said they did this one says they didn't.

I honesty don't get it.

Dunno why the administration just doesn't ignore the law like they do when it comes to immigration.

Then we have states legalizing it on their own.

Also don't see what the big deal is anymore.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

And the best part....

Both stories are from December 16, 2014.

"cog·ni·tive dis·so·nance" out of control.

Is the dress black or gold?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion Whether it expires at the end of September or is renewed doesn't change the fact that right now there is no federal ban on medical marijuana. If I'm not mistaken, a whole spending bill would have to be drawn up and passed instead of just renewing the current one passed last December.

Previous to the rider the feds could raid and did raid at will, regardless of any states medical mj laws.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen Cognitive dissonance doesn't apply here. My not realizing that this went into effect last December was simply human error, I'm generally hyper aware of news especially political news but I missed this one, I'm thinking I wasn't the only one.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

And in all honesty, if the Feds don't do anything to growers anymore or states who have legalized, then they've just decided to not enforce their law.

Like you said about immigration or any other number of things they cherry pick from the laundry list of over legislation you have in that country.

So we can nit pick all we want, ( or the authors of the article can ) but until the FED does something that goes against their recent quasi-promise to stay out of it, they are basically staying out of it lol

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: xuenchen Cognitive dissonance doesn't apply here. My not realizing that this went into effect last December was simply human error, I'm generally hyper aware of news especially political news but I missed this one, I'm thinking I wasn't the only one.

I wasn't referring to YOU.

Perception is important.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Either way...

cog·ni·tive dis·so·nance
nounPsychology
noun: cognitive dissonance

the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.

Lack of knowledge, forgetting something or conflicting opinions isn't cognitive dissonance.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

You are killing my buzz man

Now I don't know what to think

Greg

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

August 4th is an international holiday.

top topics

join