It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate vote to defund Planned Parenthood fails

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
CNN

A procedural vote in the Senate on legislation that would have barred all federal funds for Planned Parenthood failed on Monday. The vote was 53-46, meaning the measure failed the get the 60 votes needed to overcome a Democratic filibuster on bringing the bill up for debate.

The battle over barring federal money for the group will shift next to the legislation to fund the government this fall. Conservatives in both the House and Senate are demanding that their leaders attach a provision to any spending bill to block additional federal funds from going to Planned Parenthood.

Per usual the GOP will hold it's breath and stomp its feet til they get what they want. Here we go again...

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

The battle over barring federal money for the group will shift next to the legislation to fund the government this fall. Conservatives in both the House and Senate are demanding that their leaders attach a provision to any spending bill to block additional federal funds from going to Planned Parenthood.

Shocking, trying to hold our budget hostage....again.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

You'd think they'd learn from the soaring disapproval last two times. Then again learning is bad in their culture.
edit on 8/3/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

think we will see more direct action via states that will cause its own interesting complications to this story

such as bobby jindal terminating his states medicare contract with planed parenthood

www.theblaze.com...

Louisiana is terminating the state’s Medicaid contract with Planned Parenthood, Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Monday. “In recent weeks, it has been shocking to see reports of the alleged activities taking place at Planned Parenthood facilities across the country. Planned Parenthood does not represent the values of the people of Louisiana and shows a fundamental disrespect for human life,” Jindal said in a statement. “It has become clear that this is not an organization that is worthy of receiving public assistance from the state.”
so i guess we will have to see how this ends up,if it will create a pattern with other state governors and what if any problems will arise with the courts over this action

The state DHH is probing whether Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider, is acting in violation of Louisiana law that states that no person or group contracting with the state or receiving government assistance shall require or recommend that any woman have an abortion. Republican presidential candidates are calling for an end to federal funding of Planned Parenthood, which is supported by Republican Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky, Marco Rubio of Florida and Ted Cruz of Texas. Meanwhile, other incumbent Republican governors – Scott Walker of Wisconsin, John Kasich of Ohio and Chris Christie of New Jersey – have pointed to their records on Planned Parenthood funding,
so seems even the republicans ranks are divided over this issue .

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Boobie Jindal just stated that he was going to cut medicaid payments to PP. In Louisiana Medicaid didn't cover abortion anyway. So what he's done actually is cut off women and teenage girls from access to birth control and prenatal care. Potentially jeopardizing the health and well being of thousands of babies and mothers.

Idiot.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

So what he's done actually is cut off women and teenage girls from access to birth control and prenatal care

GOOD! I don't need to be paying for your slut pills and your unborn babies care!
I just want to make sure you shoot it out in nine months.
/sarc

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Sremmos80

You'd think they'd learn from the soaring disapproval last two times. Then again learning is bad in their culture.

Dont they dominate the senate and congress? wasnt it democrats that have lost 900 seats?.........yeah i think..no i'm sure it was

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: kellyjay

And?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So what he's done actually is cut off women and teenage girls from access to birth control and prenatal care

GOOD! I don't need to be paying for your slut pills and your unborn babies care!
I just want to make sure you shoot it out in nine months.
/sarc

Is planned parenthood the only place in the entire US where women can get birth control and pre-natal care or?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Good. It was probably illegal anyway. And even if it had somehow passed, the president would have vetoed it.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

And?

then the so called dissaproval is ...well..irrelivant

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

If you're low income, it's one of the only places that you can. Unless you believe that poor women should denounce their humanity and stop having sex. Hey there's an idea... why don't the Red States call for a male moratorium on sex below a certain income threshold?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Is it? With the SCOTUS judgment on drawing districts and left wingers (like actual left wingers) getting very politically active... I guess we'll see next round.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

If you're low income, it's one of the only places that you can. Unless you believe that poor women should denounce their humanity and stop having sex. Hey there's an idea... why don't the Red States call for a male moratorium on sex below a certain income threshold?

dont low income families get medicaid?...wasnt that the point of obamacare?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Is it? With the SCOTUS judgment on drawing districts and left wingers (like actual left wingers) getting very politically active... I guess we'll see next round.

mmhmmm lol

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

You can make too much to be eligible for medicaid and still actually be poor.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay

Dont they dominate the senate and congress? wasnt it democrats that have lost 900 seats?.........yeah i think..no i'm sure it was

Dominate? No. Majority? Yes. Democrats lost 900 seats?? How many people do you think there are in congress???

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
think we will see more direct action via states that will cause its own interesting complications to this story

States are already acting;

“Over the past week, my office has conducted a thorough review and found that Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts’ health care centers are fully compliant with state and federal laws regarding the disposition of fetal tissue. Although donation of fetal tissue is permissible under state and federal law, PPLM does not have a tissue donation program. There is no evidence that PPLM is involved in any way in the buying or selling of tissue. As such, our review is complete.”

Back on July 16, Gov. Mike Pence, R-Ind., launched an investigation of Planned Parenthood...The probe focused on facilities in Indianapolis, Bloomington and Merrillville, and this past week the Indiana Department of Health reported it was “unable to find any non-compliance with state regulations. Therefore, no deficiencies were cited.”

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

You can make too much to be eligible for medicaid and still actually be poor.

sounds like a complete fail for obamacare then huh?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

Dominate? No. Majority? Yes. Democrats lost 900 seats?? How many people do you think there are in congress???

“Over the past week, my office has conducted a thorough review and found that Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts’ health care centers are fully compliant with state and federal laws regarding the disposition of fetal tissue. Although donation of fetal tissue is permissible under state and federal law, PPLM does not have a tissue donation program. There is no evidence that PPLM is involved in any way in the buying or selling of tissue. As such, our review is complete.”

Back on July 16, Gov. Mike Pence, R-Ind., launched an investigation of Planned Parenthood...The probe focused on facilities in Indianapolis, Bloomington and Merrillville, and this past week the Indiana Department of Health reported it was “unable to find any non-compliance with state regulations. Therefore, no deficiencies were cited.”

over the years they have lost over 900 seats.....it wasnt an instant thing

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

Democrats have lost 910 seats since Obama took office

www.politifact.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join