It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone discovered anything inherently worng with Windows 10?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix
a reply to: chr0naut

Not true you can setup windows 10 without a Microsoft account, the option is in the create a new account screen, scroll down and there is an option to continue without it.

www.baldnerd.com...

I was aware of that, but it's fairly well hidden.

But a number of things are broken (that needn't be) if you use a local account (pin sign in, Cortana, Store & etc).

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

The threats made sound similar to the 'Police' ransomware which also threatens to encrypt your data and locks you out of your PC until payment is made.

The fix for that is simple: switch off your computer, start in safe mode, and go back to a restore point created before the event. You should then be able to delete the offending email/files.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Just ran into my first glitch. Grand Theft Auto 3 doesn't work. TBH, however, the only reason I am aware of this issue is that I read about it on a tech forum and wanted to see if my system would run it or not. It's been a very long time since I tried to open that game.

All things considered, I am pretty confident that Nvidia will fix things long before I find myself feeling the urge to play GTA 3 again.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I'm downloading/installing it right now as we speak.

Please keep us all updated everyone if any issues discovered.

I will too....

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Just found out that Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 won't install on Win 10 clients.

Symantec have released a patched version 12.1.6 MP1a.

I have tried it, and it installs, but I've been having issues with Liveupdate. Could be the individual PC/firewall config but I suspect that it's not quite 'there' yet. (I suspect the patch has been rolled out over broken installs after the Win 10 upgrade but hasn't been tested as a fresh install, which was how I was doing it).

Anyway, SEP is mandatory at the particular location (a school) so it's a deal breaker!

edit on 4/8/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Here is another thread that addresses the security of your privacy I thought I would put a link here as it does relate.

you can turn off most of the spyware type of programing meant to make you windows experience more enjoyable.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 5-8-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I have noted on three Win10 laptops that user profiles seem to corrupt at random.

The symptom is a black screen with just a mouse pointer after a restart. Prior to that restart, clicking the "start" button does nothing. Also, programs refuse to launch and you cannot call up task manager.

The solution I have found is to restart until you do get a desktop. Then right-click the start button and run CMD as admin.

Call powershell in the admin command prompt then run the following text:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach [Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)AppXManifest.xml"]

This takes a while to process and if you have errors executing it (red text), just wait till it finishes and re-run it after a restart.

edit on 7/8/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Have you run into any connectivity or Internet speed specific problems?

I have seen some pretty frequent browser page loading slowdowns in Firefox. I did upgrade to FF 39 today and it seems to have actually gotten worse.

Ironically Bing seems to be the one page that I can count on to fail to load nearly every time.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

I have seen some pretty frequent browser page loading slowdowns in Firefox. I did upgrade to FF 39 today and it seems to have actually gotten worse.

Ironically Bing seems to be the one page that I can count on to fail to load nearly every time.

No internet speed or connectivity issues noted but I have had extreme signal strength dropoff (10 meters from AP line of sight at -90 dB- 5 meters, 0 dB ) and dropouts for wireless AC (I think that it was a disconnected internal aerial in the one laptop noted, though).

In general, I have had major 802.1 connection issues with wireless AC hardware (mainly Intel) on all OS's, from Win 7 upwards. Different drivers, BIOS's and OS versions don't seem to fix the issues fully, but some combinations work better than others.

I think the dropout issue is related to timeouts from the extra handshaking required to re-establish connection.

So far, all AP's are wireless N as that is the current standard for schools (They held off from committing to AC until Wave 2).

edit on 7/8/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I work cyber security in a large data center for a living, I have been tasked to go over it with a fine toothed comb. Thus far I have not found anything to odd. No stranger than windows 7 or 8 anyway. It is a vast improvement over 8.x at any rate. I don't trust Microsoft or Apple for the OS they put out, I am more of a Linux kinda guy, but that's a personal call. I don't like walled garden OS ideas, the user should have freedom to use the machine they own in any fashion they see fit.

What happened to Windows version "9" (unlucky number)?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I will too....

I so feel for you; "get your free upgrade now". I could see it if had the Island siren devil Windows 8, but not doing it with 7.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

I work cyber security in a large data center for a living, I have been tasked to go over it with a fine toothed comb. Thus far I have not found anything to odd. No stranger than windows 7 or 8 anyway. It is a vast improvement over 8.x at any rate. I don't trust Microsoft or Apple for the OS they put out, I am more of a Linux kinda guy, but that's a personal call. I don't like walled garden OS ideas, the user should have freedom to use the machine they own in any fashion they see fit.

What happened to Windows version "9" (unlucky number)?

Windows 10 is Windows 9, they must've thought it sounded cooler. A friend of mine works for Microsoft and that's the explanation he gave.

I've had the black desktop background happen a couple of times for me, but all I did was reset my theme.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I will too....

I so feel for you; "get your free upgrade now". I could see it if had the Island siren devil Windows 8, but not doing it with 7.

I have it all upgraded and it seems to be running just fine. I shut off many of the features I don't use to limit its snooping in my Browser or search engine. also turned off anything I felt might be used to spy on us.

I have a HP Envy 23 and so far no problems and it is running just fine.

A friend of mine whop had tweaked his system on a two year old computer is having problems. I am wondering if some others who are having problems have done the same thing.

Also, if anyone wants to they can go to this article Foxnews ran about five things to make help you fall in love with Windows 10

www.foxnews.com...

a reply to: Sharted

It had to do with that they had a Win 95/98 and to do a Win 9 might cause problems with some program or device installations so they went with win 10

edit on 8-8-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
DP

edit on 8-8-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Jeez if I had known. It took six hours today to download and install on top of W7.
And I don't know if I am happy with result the Wi-Fi reception is weaker.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

I shut off many of the features I don't use to limit its snooping in my Browser or search engine. also turned off anything I felt might be used to spy on us.

Forgive me my ignorance but could you suggest some of these features. Or refer to a safe site that could help me educate myself on this. Thank You.

I run an HP Compaq 8510, it seems to work.

But I do have a lot running in the background now, I wonder!

edit on 9-8-2015 by WalkInSilence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Can this be solved?

Bing is evil can it be eliminated?
edit on 9-8-2015 by WalkInSilence because: phyf

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: WalkInSilence

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

I shut off many of the features I don't use to limit its snooping in my Browser or search engine. also turned off anything I felt might be used to spy on us.

Forgive me my ignorance but could you suggest some of these features. Or refer to a safe site that could help me educate myself on this. Thank You.

I run an HP Compaq 8510, it seems to work.

But I do have a lot running in the background now, I wonder!

go to this page and he pretty much explains where to go and shut stuff off

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: WalkInSilence
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Jeez if I had known. It took six hours today to download and install on top of W7.
And I don't know if I am happy with result the Wi-Fi reception is weaker.

Mine ran slower at first then I disconnected and reconnected and it went back to normal.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
One of the biggest problems that has never been properly addressed in Windows, is the separation of system and user data space. The system partition should be allocated to a reasonable size with system software that can automatically re-size the partition on demand by robbing space from a huge data partition . ALL user data should be kept in a separate data partition.

This simple concept would solve so many issues when you finally get a bug that requires you to re-install the operating system.
Why it was never really done, is certainly up for conjecture.
edit on 18-8-2015 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join