It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions for me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The following is not really a rant, its what I grew up terming bishing and moaning. Even though what I'm typing about could go in other threads I think I prefer to keep my whining here in the rant section.

Don't laugh. I'm trying to crochet. I said don't laugh! While I'm crocheting I like to put on documentaries and old movies so my attention can stay on my lap, not the television. One thing I've noticed is I have a preference to be educated on history, science or theological themes. Yes, I know I'm boring. Keep in mind my love of reading so I do get plenty of fantasy time in.

My irritation comes when I notice documentaries that are either biased or definitely not for someone without a basic understanding of the topic. I noticed this from my kids asking questions. The amount of elaboration that is required was causing me to need to pause. I am forgetful and I enjoy different perspectives on the same topic. So, i actually just pick a topic and just keep pressimg play. Seriously I'm just trying to finish crocheting something! The videos that I am seeing with the whole picture on YouTube are from individuals. Even documentary sites or streaming sites are mostly incomplete information whether its due to editing or not.

I understand bias due to funding, or opinion but this is the one the prompted me to type. Why can't the three Abrahamic religions be treated equally in a documentary!? I'm not going to name names but, there's one of the three that doesn't get the same air time which causes me to have to pause and answer questions!

Has anyone else noticed that the information that used to be included under Special Features just isn't available while streaming? Many times this had relevant information to a topic that just wasn't on theme to the documentary. I want that information back! This is seriously making me want to just read a book instead.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
First, get some cheese for that whine...

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I needed that giggle, ty.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Glad to help!

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

You said "Don't laugh"....

I laughed. I feel bad now.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
No worries!
I bished and moaned, got a giggle, gave a laugh and now I'm going to get back to it. Ty for reading.
a reply to: Hefficide

edit on 3-8-2015 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You do realise where the saying "crotchety old lady" comes from. Well it's from ladies who crotchet and moan.
Watch all the ancient aliens series with George Tsouklas, or some such name. There're all the same "it's aliens" so no need for heavy sensory input.
By the way what are you crotcheting as my daughter gave birth to my third granddaughter 5 weeks ago?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If there is a local chapter of the "Stitch and Bitch Society" in your area, I'm sure they would welcome your attendance.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
I have no attention span. So, I'm crocheting a yellow cotton afgan. A pastel idk what with granny squares and at this very moment a turquoise synthetic blend. All one type of granny square. I was trying different squares, then flowers, there's other shapes that aren't squares. I decided to get one thing done before I got tired of crocheting again.

I have lots of crochet books. The goal is to actually finish something so I'm trying granny squares.

Btw, my grandma is a mean one and she doesn't crochet! I'm fine with that.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
If there is a local chapter of the "Stitch and Bitch Society" in your area, I'm sure they would welcome your attendance.

I need a T-shirt with that! I live in the middle of no where so I won't get my hopes up.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You aren't going to find an unbiased doc on any religion. You are either going to find adherents or critics, especially on YouTube.

I'd say just do a day to look at the apologetics, then a day to look at the critics. Venn diagram them if you have and figure what they both agree on is probably pretty accurate information.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Actually I found some pretty good history on how the researching of certain documents aren't done on an unbiassed basis, and that like archeology people that don't agree have ruined their careers. The biggest issue I have with YouTube is that there's good information in the comments which tend to get disabled because people can get crazy on there.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Oh, I don't disagree that there is good information out there just pointing out that it all has a bias, and if you think it doesn't, it's likely because it's coming from within your own area of bias. It's when things ping your BS detector or manipulate your emotions the most that they are outside your personal comfort zone or area of bias.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
I see what you're saying.

Then maybe what I should have said was that I prefer to know all aspects of something both positive and negative and draw my conclusions from there. I've noticed I prefer vids that clearly state a conclusion was whoever's and another whoever reached a different conclusion.

top topics

join