It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas will Secede from the Union, 81,000 signatures!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoneFace
Wow, can't believe what I am reading. People really saying, be glad when Texas leaves or we will be better off without them. Joking or not about this garbage talk is unneeded. I currently live in Texas, I have lived in Ohio, DC and many other places in the US. The people here are just as awesome as other Americans elsewhere in this great country. Why throw all this divisive talk out here on ATS, no need for it, grow up. As a nation we are better together than fighting and arguing about stupid sh*^ stereotyping images. I hear people in New York are jerks, does that mean they all are, doubt it, all areas have issues and little quirks but I for one would not want any State in this Republic to leave, we are great and I am proud to be a Texan but even prouder to be an American. We are all on the same team so shut up and lets get this union back on track.
Sorry for the rant.

Stone

Never say never if they want out I dont see a problem letting them go. If they think they will be better off alone let them do it, why force them to stay if they dont want to. Talk about loyalty vs treason. . . . .

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

No, the US imports 40% of its oil from Canada. Then OPEC. We cap our own wells. Texas wouldn't even be a blip on the US oil supply.

There's more to it than just having "farm land". What you grow and the diversity is important.

Having a civilian population capable of using fire arms is great but projecting authority beyond your border with a Civilian army is impossible. Projecting any authority without a well trained military is impossible. Ground troops are only half the battle. Any well organized military would take Texas and its civilians apart is short order, especially if they have air superiority. Guns in hands does not mean you have a well trained army or one capable of even putting up anything but a casual resistance, regardless of how romanticized the movies would make it.

What Texas has is Oil to sell on the open market to the WORLD (not the US). That will get them all the supplied in the world they need.

edit on 1-8-2015 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Who is talking about treason? This isn't talk of overthrowing the US govt.
I don't know what State you are in but apparently if .3% of your population wanted to leave and others in the country didn't give a rats a55 about it and said oh, get lost, build a fence, you would be okay with it?
If you were to seriously sit down with those that made such enormous decisions on Seceding, think about all the implications, good and bad, you would just say, I don't care, go if you want? I for one would not want you or any others with similar thinking being a member of any think-tank or panel/government or whatever you want to call it. Be serious about topics.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

The petition means nothing, but if Texas did manage to secede, i would hope the US would demand payment for all improvements the federal government has put into Texas (highways, etc.) - also, Texas would have to forfeit all mineral rights, as they would be under the control of Russia or China had the US military not protected Texas from being overthrown.

If Texas did not comply, then we invade, take over, and sell Texas to Texas for $150T.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
As if Texas hasn't paid money to the federal government.

link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

The petition means nothing, but if Texas did manage to secede, i would hope the US would demand payment for all improvements the federal government has put into Texas (highways, etc.) - also, Texas would have to forfeit all mineral rights, as they would be under the control of Russia or China had the US military not protected Texas from being overthrown.

If Texas did not comply, then we invade, take over, and sell Texas to Texas for $150T.

Good answer sell Texas back to Texas for over 100 trillion dollars! Money talks BS walks if they wanted to be independent it wouldnt come cheap, freedom isnt free!

link   

LOL Good, let 'em go! I love Texas (mostly the women & food), but it would be incredible if they left. The permanent loss of their 2 seats in the Senate would be huge. But the loss of their numerous votes in the House of Representatives would be game changing. It would literally create a permanent super-majority for the Democrats. I'm not a Dem, but I'm much closer aligned to their policies than I am to Republican policies. Maybe then we could get some actual progressive policies passed. I mean things like a smart electric grid; high speed rail; climate change legislation; universal health care; end the War on Drugs; less MIC funding & more funding for domestic issues, etc. Conservatism would finally die off at the national level. Maybe you can convince Mississippi, South Carolina & Arizona to leave too?

Also, I don't think Texans are thinking this through. Medicare, Social Security, Pell grants, food stamps, etc are all US federal programs. All the Texans depending on Social Security & every other federal program would be cut off from it, just as they would be if they renounced their citizenship to become a citizen of any other country. And the only reason your bank deposits are considered safe are because the US federal government insures them. How is the Texas government going to continue those programs without massively raising taxes? And what happens the next time a natural disaster strikes? You gonna call in the UN to help with disaster relief? Because I'd rather my tax dollars go to helping Americans first, not some foreign country.
In fact, maybe we should build a fence to keep the shell shocked Texans out. Not out of hard feelings, of course. Oh, and we're keeping our bases in Texas just as we kept our bases in Germany, Japan, South Korea, etc. You know, just in case.

And why should we do free trade agreements with you after you leave us? In other words, all Texas trade would now have tariffs against it & you'd have to pay more for imports. Try competing with China or Mexico's cheap prices when the American Fed government isn't subsidizing your costs. Or when you don't have access to the perks created by American free trade agreements. But that's fine since you guys hate free trade agreements anyway, right? Right?

And you better not violate our waters or try to drill too close to our territory. Because we might have to do regime change. Muahahaha! Oh & don't expect a left leaning, Dem controlled America to help you if Mexico decides to take back its territory. Texas- the state that left Mexico & would soon rejoin it.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Having a civilian population capable of using fire arms is great but projecting authority beyond your border with a Civilian army is impossible. Projecting any authority without a well trained military is impossible. Ground troops are only half the battle. Any well organized military would take Texas and its civilians apart is short order, especially if they have air superiority. Guns in hands does not mean you have a well trained army or one capable of even putting up anything but a casual resistance, regardless of how romanticized the movies would make it.

You forget that a ton of military equiment is made right here in Texas, that includes personnel vehicles and aircraft, not only that we produce a lot of the tech in those vehicles

We also produce firearms and ammunition for the military.....

With our oil, and our mining , refineries and steel production, we could sufficiently make our own military equipment......after all a lot of what you see on the battlefield is made right here in Texas....

Arming and outfitting our own military wouldnt be an issue......

You obviously dont know much about the economy or what we produce here......

Add to that, you tell Texans "We need a military " youre going to have TONS of volunteers here in the state, and I venture to guess tons that come here from the rest of the US.........

Again this would never happen , but to suggest somehow Texas isnt capable is grossly underestimating what we already produce here , there is a hell of a lot more here than Oil......

Black military projects? yeah a lot of those are done right here in the great state of texas before they are sent off to NM for testing.....
edit on 8/1/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

And why should we do free trade agreements with you after you leave us? In other words, all Texas trade would now have tariffs against it & you'd have to pay more for imports. Try competing with China or Mexico's cheap prices when the American Fed government isn't subsidizing your costs. Or when you don't have access to the perks created by American free trade agreements. But that's fine since you guys hate free trade agreements anyway, right? Right?

And you better not violate our waters or try to drill too close to our territory. Because we might have to do regime change. Muahahaha! Oh & don't expect a left leaning, Dem controlled America to help you if Mexico decides to take back its territory. Texas- the state that left Mexico & would soon rejoin it.

Indeed, why should Texas trade with the US?

Maybe you should actually look at what we produce here before making arrogant statements like that.........

Much of what YOU have and what the US uses comes from Texas.....including the pieces and parts of the computer youre typing on now,

See my post in the thread, we are the natinos leader in many things including energy both fossil fuels AND alternative energy.......

FOOD, Clothing, aircraft, vehicles.......

I love all these arrogant statements by people who clearly have no idea what comes from this state, just because they think the whole thing is full if ignorant republicans

google is your friend

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

LOL Good, let 'em go! I love Texas (mostly the women & food), but it would be incredible if they left. The permanent loss of their 2 seats in the Senate would be huge. But the loss of their numerous votes in the House of Representatives would be game changing. It would literally create a permanent super-majority for the Democrats. I'm not a Dem, but I'm much closer aligned to their policies than I am to Republican policies. Maybe then we could get some actual progressive policies passed. I mean things like a smart electric grid; high speed rail; climate change legislation; universal health care; end the War on Drugs; less MIC funding & more funding for domestic issues, etc. Conservatism would finally die off at the national level. Maybe you can convince Mississippi, South Carolina & Arizona to leave too?

Also, I don't think Texans are thinking this through. Medicare, Social Security, Pell grants, food stamps, etc are all US federal programs. All the Texans depending on Social Security & every other federal program would be cut off from it, just as they would be if they renounced their citizenship to become a citizen of any other country. And the only reason your bank deposits are considered safe are because the US federal government insures them. How is the Texas government going to continue those programs without massively raising taxes? And what happens the next time a natural disaster strikes? You gonna call in the UN to help with disaster relief? Because I'd rather my tax dollars go to helping Americans first, not some foreign country.
In fact, maybe we should build a fence to keep the shell shocked Texans out. Not out of hard feelings, of course. Oh, and we're keeping our bases in Texas just as we kept our bases in Germany, Japan, South Korea, etc. You know, just in case.

Just imagine the illegal texan immagrants trying to get back into the USA lol, get stopped at the border and if they found texans in the USA they would be deported back to the super ghetto of ultra poverty where people have to hunt to find food, and all the stores are closed because the economy is shot due to santions from the good ol USA.

edit on 1-8-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Texas don't get much more money from the feds then it pays in.

Texas lost it's Democratic politics because of the influx of people from elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Just imagine the illegal texan immagrants trying to get back into the USA lol, get stopped at the border and if they found texans in the USA they would be deported back to the super ghetto of ultra poverty where people have to hunt to find food, and all the stores are closed because the economy is shot due to santions from the good ol USA.

HAHAHA that would be so awesome except or one fact........

Our economy is better then most of the rest of the US .........but hey whats facts when you can have hyperbole and nasty discourse right!

Lets not forget all of the companies that would come to Texas if it was its own entitiy, looking to get out of the crappy US Tax bs and health care debacle!

Texas economy would grow with "foreign" companies making their home here

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
A large portion of the energy sector is based in Texas. Also AT&T and Verizon.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Violater1

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: introvert

Also aren't the armed forces federally funded. Texas would not inherit an army and weapons, they would be left to fund a military from scratch, it would send them bankrupt.

Not really. Before the formal organization of the Continental Army, it was the farmers and independents that were kicking the butt's of the then British army. The citizens and farmers of Texas are no different, except they have companies like NASA, Lockheed, Boeing.......

None of those are headquartered in Texas..not NASA, not Lockheed and not Boeing.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

HAHAHA that would be so awesome except or one fact........

Our economy is better then most of the rest of the US .........but hey whats facts when you can have hyperbole and nasty discourse right!

Lets not forget all of the companies that would come to Texas if it was its own entitiy, looking to get out of the crappy US Tax bs and health care debacle!

Texas economy would grow with "foreign" companies making their home here

No dude there would be a mass exodus out of Texas and the new country would be stripped of all wealth then santioned and isolated forevermore. It would have less goods than North korea. If they ever wanted anything they would have to get it from the USA, who would install a nice puppet dictator to run the country as the US saw fit. Texas couldnt make it on thier own, because it cant compete with the USA. The USA has a monopoly in every sector you could ever imagine.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The more posts I read, the more I hope Texas does this.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

You are clueless. If the place is so bad, why has everyone and his brother been heading here for years. The imports leaving would only make Texas better.

None of this matters since a state cannot leave the union. Sweet deal for the US government as it screws up the country. Remember the 'civil war'.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
A large portion of the energy sector is based in Texas. Also AT&T and Verizon.

Verizon is not based in Texas.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

A balanced budget yet Texas takes $1.11 in federal funds for every $1 collected. If they're doing so well maybe they can pay some of that money back.

Them seceding would be a financial boon to the rest of the country.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

This whole post is the most ridiculous of all the ones on this thread.....

You clearly have no idea

1.How economics works

2. How strong our economy is

3. What happens when companies have an option to do business without tax penalties in an place thats within a plane ride.

4. What we produce

5. That we lead the nation in many of those areas.

I mean seriously ,lol how you came up with all that in light of actual Facts is hilarious

Again I dont think Texas could ever secede, but........your post made me LOL

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join