It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas will Secede from the Union, 81,000 signatures!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Also aren't the armed forces federally funded. Texas would not inherit an army and weapons, they would be left to fund a military from scratch, it would send them bankrupt.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: buster2010

Shhhh! Let them go! Then, when they realize that they've bitten the hand that fed them, they'll become illegal immigrants, we can call them all kind of names and say they're all rapists and criminals and stuff!

Hey, being from Austin, I want to sign that petition that someone started to have Austin secede from the state of Texas.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Austin! Awesome city! UT absolutely rocks! And yes...Austin is so diversified with a culture like no other.

link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

originally posted by: crazyewok
Love the unity the USA is showing to each other.....just show how unified and loving all the states are too each other

You really don't get Americans, do you?

A small percentage of Texans do this "secede" thing every few years. Texans, especially generational Texans, have a strong independent spirit. It is a bit of a game, and Americans expect it periodically. We LOVE our games, but nobody is going to leave the United States. Texas needs its country, and, guess what? America needs Texas.

So they are just trolling you guys like what the Scots do to us, gottcha

link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Love the unity the USA is showing to each other.....just show how unified and loving all the states are too each other

How's that unity in the United Kingdom workin for ya? Lol

Seeing how it's been working since before this nation was created I would say quite well.

Yeah, a boot on the windpipe tends to quiet disharmony.

link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Also aren't the armed forces federally funded. Texas would not inherit an army and weapons, they would be left to fund a military from scratch, it would send them bankrupt.

Actually Texas already has its own armed forces.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Why bother? You can't build a full fence, can't enforce the fence, apologize for building the freaking fence...

SEE YA

link   

You can thank the POTUS for that. After all,"we can agree that we disagree" (what BS double talk he comes up with).

link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Can you imagine them dealing with the border on their own? Good grief.

The entire machinations of the US government cannot completely control immigration.

Texas would be invaded by Mexico, with help from Blackwater mercs, we will pillage their oil and eat their cattle. Then we will install our own puppet ruler after we overthrow their government.

link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Can you imagine them dealing with the border on their own? Good grief.

Can you imagine if Texas opened a direct route to America?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

We'd have to ensure that they don't start enriching uranium. No trade deals with Texas until they agree to not develop a nuclear program.

link   

Yup. Like I said, Texas could not stand alone.

link   
a reply to: crazyewok

You are saying there is a Texas marines, navy airforce not under the flag of the United States of America? Totally self funded? I find that hard to believe.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yes Americans would treat the traitors quite nastily I dare say, no trade deals and sanctions.

link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Let me address it this way. Texas is an important part of the US collective. But Texas could not survive alone.

It doesn't have the infrastructure in place to govern itself outside of federal influence, it could not defend itself without assistance and many of the qualities that Texas does have is propped-up with federal monies.

But It will not secede. This is just fantasy for nutbags.

Except that just abut every person , be it financial or otherwise disagrees with you...

Even FORBES disagrees.......

And if you think Texas cant govern itself outside of Washington, you are sadly sadly mistaken....

Again, federal income compensated by the fact that the rest of the country would have to pony up to get our resources and manufacturing......

And again, it would become a haven for industry and tech to move here even MORE because they could avoid the US tax issues, and not have to go over seas.....

Economics my friend economics

link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Why bother? You can't build a full fence, can't enforce the fence, apologize for building the freaking fence...

SEE YA

Sure we could. We will hire illegal Texas immigrants and pay them below minimum wage.

link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

That's okay, we like Mexicans... Texans on the other hand...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

So they are just trolling you guys like what the Scots do to us, gottcha

Sort of. But, Texans stay vigilant....just in case.
As the saying goes, "It could happen".

link   

originally posted by: introvert

Yup. Like I said, Texas could not stand alone.

A few examples:

Obviously, the biggest room for arbitrage is immigration. Texas is well-known for being one of the most immigration-friendly states, and to have a strong political consensus in favor of a relaxed stance toward immigration. You could argue that this would be different in an independent Texas. You could also argue that Federal policy has been holding Texas back, and that in an independent Texas a coalition of Latinos and business interests would create a pro-immigration equilibrium. In this case, Texas would become a giant vortex attracting human capital from everywhere.
There are millions of people who want to move to the US and who would create tons of economic value there but can’t because of byzantine immigration law. Even if many of these people would prefer to live in New York or California, I’m sure many (including, well, me) would take Texas as the next best thing.

With a devalued currency and very little labor regulations, Texas would become a manufacturing haven, with the English language, easy access to the American markets, qualified workers, but lower prices and less regulation than America. The South has already arbitraged a lot of manufacturing away from the North with right-to-work laws, but if you remove federal regulations and add a weak currency, the effect would be multiplied.

Texas could also easily become a financial haven. With no Goldman Sachses and JP Morgans to block any reform, Texas could implement a handful of common sense, anti-TBTF regulations and deregulate everything else. That, plus low taxes, plus great weather, plus a highly-educated English-speaking workforce, creates the first real, serious rival to Wall Street. The behemoths who rely on TBTF legislation would have to stay put, but entrepreneurial financiers would quickly come in droves to set up hedge funds, boutique banks, private equity funds and other investment firms, and create the good kind of financial innovation.
In turn, Texas could become a technology haven. A big hurdle would be to have the right kind of patent reform, when Texas courts are known for intellectual property absolutism. But if that hurdle could be overcome, think about it: Austin is already a major startup hub in the US. It has all the right ingredients in terms of human capital, culture, universities, etc. If you add to that a giant wall of money, good patent law and good immigration law, you get something that can be a pretty strong rival to Silicon Valley, or at least something akin to the best of Israel’s vaunted “startup miracle.”

Same thing with healthcare. Again, patent law is a serious issue. But even disregarding that, it’s hard to argue that healthcare innovation isn’t being held back in the US due to overregulation and lack of access to capital. Texas already has some of the best facilities for medical research in the world. It’s interesting to wonder whether Texas healthcare policy would be a “free-for-all” or a kind of Friedmanite voucher/HSA utopia, but in either case it’s easy to see how starting a biotech or medical devices company could be made easier in Texas.
Energy.
As noted, Texas has not just oil but uranium and nuclear technology. A great way for Texas to balance the effect of oil on its economy would be to embark on a French-style program of nuclear plants build-outs. It wouldn’t just be great policy, it would give Texas bragging rights, as the conservative, oil-guzzling state would end up with lower carbon emissions per capita than, say, Massachusetts. Texas is also well-placed to benefit from alternative energies, as it is placed in the US “wind corridor” and has plenty of sunlight. Subsidies probably wouldn’t be forthcoming and it is an interesting academic question as to whether renewables can succeed without subsidies–but if it can, a free Texas would be the place. And something tells me that the companies that would arise in that context would be more resilient than their American, Chinese or German competitors.
For oil, Texas would probably have to have an independent sovereign wealth fund funded by a resource tax that invests abroad to counterbalance the upward pressure on the Texas dollar by oil demand.

Education. I’m going further on a limb, but there are two things that would be possible in Texas that that could do great things for education reform: 1) a full-voucher system with for-profit schools, modeled on Sweden, leading to innovative approaches in K-12 (and possibly even pre-K); 2) a higher education system based less on subsidies and more on innovative business models given the right regulatory structure.

Forbes

Ill take economic websites and websites like Forbes over your "professional opinion" any day
edit on 8/1/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Mexico light?

Every once in a while Quebec threatens to leave, they dont want to pay the bills on the way out, and as a bonus want to use the same currency. Not realistic as they are a province with their hands out all the time fighting for the fact they deserve more than the rest of us.
In the end it's all political bullshavings.

link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

You really want to sign a petition for Austin to secede from Texas?

Hey, I'm an Austinite and I'll gladly sign a petition against Austin seceding. My God, you really don't know anything about Austin politics do you? Hyde Park and Travis Heights are anomalies and don't speak for the city. You could even call those two neighborhoods a part of California due to all the refugees from the high taxes in Cali. They should all remember why they left Cali and do everything the opposite of what they did there.

STM

edit on 1-8-2015 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join