It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas will Secede from the Union, 81,000 signatures!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Don't forget that when Texas became a state part of the deal was a clause that said if at any time in the future Texas decided to leave the US and become its own territory again it could do so freely without intervention from the US government.

No Texas can't legally secede from the Union, this has already been settled. In terms of whether Texas would do well if it did secede, I think Texas would survive on it's own as a nation. I do however doubt highly they'd perform well enough as the current successes in Texas have been due to Federal investment, monies. Once you factor that out. Texas at best on par with a nation like Chile. Decent enough economy, nothing special though. You'd probably have alot of migration into the US from Texas.
edit on 2-8-2015 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Man, I just want to say that I appreciate pretty much all of your posts here. People are going insane lately, especially regarding things which throw the slavery issue around. Are these people serious that they think an entire state wants such a thing to exist? Like they REALLY think some people are sitting there thinking to themselves "AHA, I would LOVE to have a slave, particularly a BLACK ONE!" ??? Pure nonsense insanity.

People are only thinking this way because the MEDIA has allowed it and encouraged it to cause more division than we have ever seen. The same media who thinks it's ok to paint a state like Texas as uniformly racist and a whole other barrage of things.

Your posts are a cool drink of water and it's nice to see common sense now and again. I'm almost afraid theses days to say anything contrary to liberal media opinions, so kudos to you for keeping up the good fight! Love your posts!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
This sums of Texan secessionists rather well:

whaaa whaaa we don't like nobama! We want to pack our toys and leave because the elections aren't going our way!

Maybe the conservative constituents in Texas have come to the realisation 2016 is out of reach too? You can't pack your toys and leave every time things aren't politically going your way.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE
If Texas succeeds from the USA then I think tons of people will be trying to move there.

I agree, and I think I just might try to move there as well. It would be a mass exodus.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: stellawayten
This is interesting considering I created a thread a few months ago that said texas will secede from the union if they legalize gay marriage.

Everyone made fun of me and trash talked me! Off to find the thread.

Well the article the OP is from 2012 which is why it keeps talking about Obama being reelected. It is not in response to gay marriage which the majority of Texans support.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Not out of reach but
PP hit pieces
Iran nuclear deal
SC rulings
Trump insanity
Secret big donor meetings for the elite few candidates

Ordinary Republicans have taken a lot of hits recently. Life works best when both sides can feel they're getting some wins, if that doesn't happen the real crazy begins. I would predict the Republicans get something major in 2016. I don't think they're getting the presidency, but they'll get something.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Maybe they should signature for "Greatest Country EVAR!" and "Giggling Elmo for President!"

Because this seems equally propable to a secession based on some votings.

Go on, try to do it. We will watch.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
So 81,000 Texan's signed a petition. Well, that's a big number, isn't it? Unless of course you understand that the population of Texas is 27,000,000.

81,000/27,000,000 = 0.003%

Less than one-third of one-percent. Hardly a groundswell.

Texas is the 2nd most populous state behind only California (39 million). It is a vast and varied state with a huge population. A state of urban and rural variety.

The people of Texas are as different and interesting as anywhere else in the country. People who want to boil the people down to a single stereotype have clearly never been there...or they have been to one small place. Those that want to refer to a bunch of cowboys and roughnecks have clearly never been to Austin with it's profound artistic and musical communities. Or to the beauty of the Gulf Coast...Or to the urban centers of Dallas or Houston.

Texas is awesome, it is not a bunch of rednecks 81,000 people are hardly a significant number of Texans to make any conclusions from...and anyway Texas CAN'T secede...

Most importantly, they don't want to. Nor should anyone else WANT them to.
edit on 2-8-2015 by Leonidas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone touched on a possibility of civil war because of this.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: amsterdamn87

No. Because it's not going to happen.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: amsterdamn87

After reading through the thread, I don't think so. Not that many people seem to care enough to fight to keep Texas.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

After reading through the thread, I don't think so. Not that many people seem to care enough to fight to keep Texas.

Dont be silly the USA would nuke them from orbit before they let them go, and they wouldnt be letting them go without a knock down drag out fight, it wouldnt be much of a place to be for quite a long time. . . .

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

I would like to see Texas become a country

But somehow I doubt it will happen

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I tend to agree

Maybe in 50 years

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: amsterdamn87

I think it would be a civil war if they tried.
They would be traitors actually I wouldnt be suprised if those who signed the list were considered traitors of a sort.
edit on 2-8-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz

Well.. it was a Slave State Right .. LOL before and during the War..

What side of the Civil war was Texas was on ?

Ohh that's right The State Supplied the Confederates.. with soldiers & horses ..

Ohh WIKI woooh ( LOL )

And what does ANY of that have any bearing on todays world?

Equating what Texas was how long ago? to what it is today?

Thats like saying "Well the state you live in use to massacre indians, so they must hate all indians there"

Logic fail...

The rest of your post is a nonsensical rant that I cant make heads or tails of

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I doubt that many Texans want to leave the Union. I also wonder a) how many of the people who signed the petition are actually from Texas and b) how many of them are real.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Thanks man I appreciate the post and the support there.......

Im just trying to bring common sense to the issue, we all know Texas probably cant secede......but just about every source out there says it would be not only viable but a strong entity on its own......

Why theres been such vitriol on the thread slung at me I have no idea........

They all act like the idea personally offends them , and that im some conspirator with the state of Tx that should be drawn and quartered.......

I see a lot of armchair economists on here that are refusing to look at the data that has been provided......

I think they WANT to think Texas couldnt do it on its own, some sort of superiority complex or something im not sure.....

its weird.......

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
This sums of Texan secessionists rather well:

whaaa whaaa we don't like nobama! We want to pack our toys and leave because the elections aren't going our way!

Maybe the conservative constituents in Texas have come to the realisation 2016 is out of reach too? You can't pack your toys and leave every time things aren't politically going your way.

This was talked about many times before Obama even got elected.........

So where does that leave your Obama card?

nice try

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

No Texas can't legally secede from the Union, this has already been settled. In terms of whether Texas would do well if it did secede, I think Texas would survive on it's own as a nation. I do however doubt highly they'd perform well enough as the current successes in Texas have been due to Federal investment, monies. Once you factor that out. Texas at best on par with a nation like Chile. Decent enough economy, nothing special though. You'd probably have alot of migration into the US from Texas.

Not legally according to the US Government, perhaps. The way to go about it would be to first hold a referendum in Texas. If the majority of Texans decided to secede, then take the matter to an international court as a contract dispute between two sovereign nations. I don't think it would be too hard to convince an international court that the US has not followed the Constitution and is therefore in breech of contract.

I really don't think economies should be a factor at all. I would rather live in a poorer country that was as free as the US is supposed to be than have a bank account stuffed with fiat currency that the government could take away on a whim.

I don't think military strength should be a factor either, unless the US planned to ignore the decision of the international court and turn Texas into the next Gaza or Tibet. I don't see why Mexico would invade Texas. If Mexico just wanted to grab land there is plenty of low hanging fruit south of their borders. Panama would be a good choice: control of the canal = profit.

If Texas did secede, I would definitely consider moving there. Still not rooting for the Cowboys, though. Maybe the Redskins could move so they could keep their name?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join