It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas will Secede from the Union, 81,000 signatures!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Forbes doesnt agree that Texas couldnt make it

Just saying,

Maybe all the "experts" on here should do more research

Tho it will never happen.........

We would be fine

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It's not like Texans are the brightest bulbs in the socket either.
a reply to: buster2010

Great way to classify 28 million people as dumbasses.

edit on 1-8-2015 by quercusrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: CranialSponge

Water? We actually have a LOT of water here in Texas, not to mention our coastline

Your land space is NOT large enough to support itself completely and solely all on its own because of the volume of population you have to support. That means you're going be highly dependent on imports from the US and other foreign countries.

actually were number two in farming in the United states, we could support ourselves just fine especially without having to allocate so much to other places..........

Land mass isnt what constitutes how much you produce, other countries might have the same land mass but that doesnt mean they have the same amount of actually farmable land........ good thing we have people here who are aware of that huh?

Lumber, minerals and metals, potable water, enough arable land space to farm 100's of food varieties.... etc etc.

Actually we have a lot of minerals, and mining here, ...........

Do you guys even actually look up statistics or do you just say a bunch of stuff and pass them off as fact

Ive already posted several times where we are industry leaders and our resources.......

When you dont have to allocate all those to the rest of a whole nation, you have even more.......

Thats how that works.......

Enough potable water to keep 28 million people in hot showers, flushing toilets, green lawns, irrigated farms, industrial production, etc ? Enough lumber and lumber products to keep consumers and various industries going ? Enough minerals and metals to keep industry production going ? Enough crude oil to keep vehicles/industries and all other petroleum byproducts going ?

I suggest you take a closer look at where all of your water, metals/minerals, lumber, etc comes from currently. You might be in for a big shock.

And when that population continues to grow exponentially and your land mass and natural resources don't ?

Then what ?

You're not looking at the big picture, my friend.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
if you don't secede at first...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex

It's not like Texans are the brightest bulbs in the socket either.
a reply to: buster2010

Great way to classify 28 million people as dumbasses.

Especially since we have so much:

Texas makes its own fighter jets: Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) assembles the F-16, the backbone of the U.S. Air Force and many others around the world, in Fort Worth, as well as the ultra-expensive, stealthy F-35. The state is an aerospace powerhouse, spearheaded by the NASA Johnson Space Center -- America's space shuttles and moon rockets may have been launched from Florida, but mission control ("Houston, we have a problem") was in Texas.

And all those Texas idiots that are #1 in the nation for Alternative energy, you know that thing Progressives and liberals are always pushing so hard.........

I guess were so stupid and backward here in Texas , we couldnt figure it out, wonder how we got to #1

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seenow
if you don't secede at first...

HAH thats awesome

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

yes , enough for all that, not to mention our wells, lakes, and coast line........have YOU done any research? a quick look will answer your questions.......

You also forget about trade.......there is a lot here in Texas that the rest of the US will be cut out of that they are going to want to keep some access to......

Trade, and commerce, you know, thats usually how countries work........

And when that population continues to grow exponentially and your land mass and natural resources don't ?

You mean like every other country? Weird, how do they ever make it!

edit on 8/1/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The op has brought up that Texas wants to Secede from the Union. However that is not as simple or easy or even legal as it may seem.

The first obstacle to overcome would be the legality of it. This question was asked back in 1869 in a US Supreme Court Case: Texas V. White. And a decision of 7 to 1, it was decided that such action was not upheld by the Constitution of the United States of America and thus would be considered an illegal action.

Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase’s majority opinion reads, “The union between Texas and the other states was as complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble as the union between the original States. There was no place for reconsideration or revocation, except through revolution or through consent of the states.”

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Imports and higher taxes. That's how.

You okay with higher taxes ?

You okay with giving away 40% of your paycheque instead of 18% ?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
The op has brought up that Texas wants to Secede from the Union. However that is not as simple or easy or even legal as it may seem.

The first obstacle to overcome would be the legality of it. This question was asked back in 1869 in a US Supreme Court Case: Texas V. White. And a decision of 7 to 1, it was decided that such action was not upheld by the Constitution of the United States of America and thus would be considered an illegal action.

Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase’s majority opinion reads, “The union between Texas and the other states was as complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble as the union between the original States. There was no place for reconsideration or revocation, except through revolution or through consent of the states.”

Thats right they arent going anywhere eva lol, unless they fought thier way out, and they would lose anyways lolololol.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

my understanding is that it could NOT be done from everything ive read

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Imports and higher taxes. That's how.

You okay with higher taxes ?

You okay with giving away 40% of your paycheque instead of 18% ?

lol are you an economist?

How can you possibly know what the Tax rate would, considering you obviously know next to nothing about our economy, our GDP, our import exports, or our industry, from your previous claims...

Enough with the snark, you dont have to agree with it thats fine......

Seems like every other actual expert out there tho, disagrees with you

thats a YOU problem, not a ME problem

edit on 8/1/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

my understanding is that it could NOT be done from everything ive read

Oh it can be done alright.

But every Texan is going to have to be willing to cough up more taxes in order to keep the standard of living going that your all used to.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Hey, you still haven't addressed my points. It seems like you're actually trying to convince us to keep Texas instead of trying to convince Texans to leave. Which is it?

Disclaimer: I've been to Texas several times. When I was still a meat eater, I had the best steak I've ever eaten while in Texas. The Dallas airport is one of the cleanest I've ever be through. And the women in Texas & Mexico were amazing enough to make me almost take a job there (in Mexico but I would've crossed into the US quite often
). One of our defense contractor family friends is from Texas. I don't actually have a problem with Texas as a whole. I even support the Houston Rockets (Ty's gonna be a beast!).

But politically, it would be a fantasy of mine if Texas formed a separate nation. Don't get me wrong, we could still be on good terms. We could still talk and share diplomatic messages. We could even keep your sports teams in our conferences (as long as your government doesn't do anything to catch some sanctions). We could even set up refugee programs for American conservatives who want asylum in Texas and for Texas liberals who want asylum in America. I'm open to all of those and more.

But the constant "we're so good we don't need America" crap has to stop. I've lived in the South most of my life & one phrase we hear a lot is "put up or shut up". Don't go around waving the American flag, claiming you're American patriots, then constantly brag you want to secede. Put up or shut up. Either be proud to be an American & quit the secession BS or "walk the walk", renounce your citizenships, and go. Like I said earlier, both sides could finally get past the left vs right crap & go on with their business.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Looks like it got up to 125,000 signatures (but the petition is closed now), and it did get an official response from the White House - the kind of generic response you would expect (America is strongest when we all stick together, blah, blah). I was curious to see a ton of signatures from people not even in Texas. That seems a little disingenuous to me.

The vast majority, 90% plus, of the signatures are from outside of Texas. Perhaps that was the point of the petition, that the citizens of the 49 are OK with Texas secession.

BTW All -- the Constitution says nothing about secession. That means secession is legal.

The White House Goon in charge of petitions mentions that secession in not legal, because the North won the war. How's that for an argument, might makes right.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Looks like it got up to 125,000 signatures (but the petition is closed now), and it did get an official response from the White House - the kind of generic response you would expect (America is strongest when we all stick together, blah, blah). I was curious to see a ton of signatures from people not even in Texas. That seems a little disingenuous to me.

The vast majority, 90% plus, of the signatures are from outside of Texas. Perhaps that was the point of the petition, that the citizens of the 49 are OK with Texas secession.

BTW All -- the Constitution says nothing about secession. That means secession is legal.

The White House Goon in charge of petitions mentions that secession in not legal, because the North won the war. How's that for an argument, might makes right.

Thats right there is no way out, and no Texas cant fight thier way out, that ship has long since been sunk.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

you said I havent addressed any of your points.........

but you havent asked any questions, youve just made a series of statements........

what are your questions?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

We are all on the same team so shut up and lets get this union back on track.
a reply to: StoneFace

I don't think I'll ever forget the Texas car that had a bumper sticker that read "Drive 75 - Make a Yankee Freeze"

Same team my ankles.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The Great State of Texas doesn't need to secede. All we are doing is working on being self-sufficient so that if ever the U.S. collapses and refuses common sense remedies Texas will be just fine, thank you. How self-sufficient is your state? Think about that and start pushing for changes. Gov. Abbott ran his campaign based on self-sufficiency and won due to it just being good common sense, kinda like being a boy scout and being prepared just in case. With all the craziness in Washington it is just good logic to do this.

STM

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I don't have a Dog in this fight as I am not from Texas. But I have noticed something strange and maybe folks can help me out.
If Texas wanted to become their own nation... let them.

1.) Who cares?

2.) Why sanction them?
Whats wrong with trade?

3.) Why would we not want them to be successful?

4.) Why call them traitors?
Its not as if these Texans who said they want to secede, say they want to join Isis or something. They have made no "declaration of war".

5.) Why not say, sure keep the infrastructure that was built there while you were in the Union? Its not as if Texas citizens did not pay Federal Taxes.
If someone files for divorce, they still get a portion of the household possessions don't they? Texas would not be even asking for half, of the Nations money, infrastructure etc, just the stuff that is within their boundaries. Sounds equitable to me.

6.) They would be fine right up till we invade and take them back?
What kind of idiocy is this? Why would you want to invade and "take them back?" Why not just have trade with them?

None of the vitriol makes any sense at all.
These Texans did not say they want to go to war with the Union they said they did not want to be a part of it.

They obviously don't like the direction the country is going. Is that really that offensive?

God forbid a group of people not want to be a part of the Union and would want to try something different.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join