It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets reverse the roles.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So I believe that it is helpful to swap your role on occasion. In this thread I would like the atheist/agnostic to argue from the other side. Try and present a convincing argument for God. The Christians should play the role of the atheist and explain why the argument is unconvincing. I believe this increases understanding from both sides. So lets play.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

Lol.
For actors and actresses or for the "debate" / "understanding" excercise.

Tsk

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

In this thread I would like the atheist/agnostic to argue from the other side.

Why?

Is this for a high school debate project?
Why on earth would we bother to do that?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Try and present a convincing argument for God.

Okay, you know what? I'll play!

"The Bible" says God exists.

Billions of people believe it.

And if you don't believe it, you will roast in hell.

Done.
Let me know if you'd like a visual aid.

edit on 8/1/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

BAM! you evil atheist !

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'll give the same argument that all believers give : [ insert numerous Bible quotes here ]
There. That's all the proof you should need.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'll play!

"The Bible" is stupid and myth.

Billions of people dont believe it.

And if you believe it, you are stupid.

Done.
Let me know if you'd like a visual aid.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

uh. I think you're supposed to come up with your own argument. Not copy someone else's.
But - I didn't make the rules.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Because you may or may not learn something but it will at least help you understand people on a deeper level. Why is it a bad thing for me to ask of people? If you don't want to no one is forcing you.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

why is the claim the claim that the bible says god exist true? Why should I believe the bible?

Billions of people believe it.

This is an argumentum ad populum .

And if you don't believe it, you will roast in hell.

Who says you will roast in hell ? The Bible? if so where and again why should I believe thats true?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I was raised among believers. I have no problem playing. Their arguments boil down to what I wrote.
So, are you kicking me out of the game?

Cause, I can spend all day c/p apologist nonsense if you like - but you all have pretty much exhausted ALL of your arguments, and the rest of us are still not convinced.

So - what will it be?
I'm disqualified for being succinct? Or you want me to cough up a bunch of Bible verses and ridiculous stories and threats of hell?

Up to you.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

BAM! you evil atheist !

Ok so how does that mean God exist? Thats likely saying just because we don't have evidence for something means that it may or may not be true. It does nothing to validate the claim.

link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You really put some sincere thought into this post huh.

link   

Religious people are stupid because they believe in God.

Government knows better than any false sky-deity.

I'm smart because I say I'm an atheist and I don't worship anything. Except government.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: borntowatch

uh. I think you're supposed to come up with your own argument. Not copy someone else's.
But - I didn't make the rules.

I was just pretending to be an average atheist.

I was raised among atheists. I have no problem playing. Their arguments boil down to what I wrote.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

i responded to your post. I am not asking to copy anything. i am asking you to truly think about it and try to produce a convincing argument, and I will truly try and explain why that argument cant be the case.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Well, at least you're being a good sport.
Fine.

*warms up fingers*

This is an argumentum ad populum .

Right. But I KNOW, because I had a personal miraculous experience, and they are all benighted and not as special. God doesn't bother with lost causes (St Jude, though, might be able to help - he's the patron saint of lost causes).

Who says you will roast in hell ? The Bible?

Christians say so. Because it's in the Bible.

Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Matthew 25:46 - And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Matthew 10:28 - And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Revelation 20:15 - And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Mark 9:43-48 - And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: (Read More...)

Revelation 20:14 - And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Matthew 13:50 - And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

2 Thessalonians 1:9 - Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Revelation 14:11 - And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Matthew 5:22 - But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Hebrews 10:26-31 - For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Revelation 20:10 - And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

if so where
see above

and again why should I believe thats true?

Because it is! (duh!)
edit on 8/1/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

But what if I'm a believer of the Force? Now I don't believe in god but I do believe Yahweh could be a spirit.
edit on 1-8-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

The problem, OP, is that any cogent argument we give to the opposition will be used against us.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Beez, it's just a game!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join