It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am all for the 2nd but dont like concealed carry, and this is why...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
I vote more trained Martial Artists.

You can always disarm a gun wielding psycho and afterwards - look - free gun.

Much more badass in the badassery department anyway.

Why choose?

Everyone's a threat.

Such a lovely society.

Bunch of dicks.

Thanks for making our world less safe, collectively, with your gun-ho (sic) culcha (sic)....

edit on 1-8-2015 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Rocker2013

Is that relevant? Besides swords are all over our history, especially when you include their conversion into the bayonet... though that's arguably a small pole-arm or short spear... say I wonder if I could carry a spear around legally... hrm...

Well, from my preference for considering psychology, my interest is in the media these people were exposed to in their adolescence.

I'm pretty sure there were no Hollywood blockbusters of sword-wielding heroes in popular culture.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

??? What ???
So someone is a dick if they want to study martial arts?
You cant have more than one interest?
What are you saying?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Dude.

Can you please list all the Hollywood blockbusters and popular TV shows in the period between say 1950 to 2000 featuring your historical heroes wielding swords against the bad guy?

Then can you offer a similar list of all the American action movies and TV shows from the same period with American Heroes shooting the big bad guys.

Come on now, you know what I am saying and you know that it's true. You can debate the impact such a cultural attitude has on individuals, but you cannot deny the reality that American popular culture in media is pretty much focused around the American hero with a gun.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

What? We have the entire fantasy genre, people love pirates and ninja's, ect... our entertainment is littered with bad-asses with melee weapons.

Actually I opened a thread for this, so the topic is cluttered with sword talk.
edit on 8/1/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

"Can you please list all the Hollywood blockbusters and popular TV shows in the period between say 1950 to 2000 featuring your historical heroes wielding swords against the bad guy?"

Well the problem I think is he wants us to use our "historical heroes"
Sadly by the time America was founded... Guns were already invented, so that might be difficult.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Oh sure, it starts with the local blackbelts at the corner store and the next thing you know, it's ninjas and samurai, then the comic book cosplayers and LARP'ers show up with their foam weaponry and it's a full on party from then on out.

Ah, America.
God shed His Grace on Thee.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Actually I found an article about this very idea...
www.usnews.com...
I have not read it fully myself. If you guys read it I would be interested in what you think about it.

From you link and something I did not know :

Open carry is legal in 28 states without restriction. In another 13 states, a license is required. As ABC entitled a recent report, "Open carry is on the rise."

I have been out of the states for a few years but it is my understanding that Texas has passed open carry which comes into effect sometime in January 2016.. I have to renew my CHL this year which I will do even though I am outside the states..

edit on 1-8-2015 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75

I'm saying that you're a Martial Society and that makes you dicks, because that flies in the face of humanity...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Actually I found an article about this very idea...
www.usnews.com...
I have not read it fully myself. If you guys read it I would be interested in what you think about it.

From you link and something I did not know :

Open carry is legal in 28 states without restriction. In another 13 states, a license is required. As ABC entitled a recent report, "Open carry is on the rise."

I have been out of the states for a few years but it is my understanding that Texas has passed open carry which comes into effect sometime in January 2016.. I have to renew my CHL this year which I will do even though I am outside the states..

Indeed, every so often you will see people actually do it, at rally's and what not. Of course then someone who does not know that its legal in their state gets scared the cops get called, yada yadda.
You know the drill.
Cops show up, see that these people are not breaking the law and not threatening anyone and go about their business.

Interestingly enough no one ever gets shot, and there are never any riots at those demonstrations.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

What? We have the entire fantasy genre, people love pirates and ninja's, ect... our entertainment is littered with bad-asses with melee weapons.

Yes, now compare that to the saturation of gun use by American heroes in TV and film, and consider which more plausibly attracts the teenage male.

One Pirate (aimed at kids only just now reaching their 20's) does not equal the wealth of American gun movies and TV shows. For every ninja or pirate example there are potentially hundreds of examples of the American hero shooting the bad guys.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

If modern media consumption has anything to say about it, update my last post with a bunch of gamer kids furiously wielding their controllers and firing off their most vicious "yo momma" insults and we might just be able to sell press passes to this event.

Seriously.
There's a lot of that generation that shouldn't be anywhere NEAR a firearm.

Probably one reason so many Soccer Moms and Helicopter Parents are trying to get guns outlawed outright....can't say I blame 'em either.

Seriously Imbalanced Future Angry Americans right there.

I get your point completely.

The suburbs will warp anyone's mind beyond reason if you stay there long enough.

edit on 8/1/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
We are a martial society?

Have you not watched Oprah and Dr.Phil?

Kids get suspended from school if they eat a poptart into a vague pistol type shape.
Water guns can get you into trouble in school, because they are threatening.
Yep we, fly in the face of humanity we do.
Real scary spartan types even.
LOL
edit on 1-8-2015 by Punisher75 because: clarity

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki

I vote more trained Martial Artists.

You can always disarm a gun wielding psycho and afterwards - look - free gun.

Much more badass in the badassery department anyway.

Why choose?

Everyone *IS* a threat.

Everyone is an a-grade a-hole too.

It's just how long you have to wait before that becomes clear for each individual.

I barely trust the people who would match me in a dna sample let alone strangers...

Everyone's a threat.

Such a lovely society.

Bunch of dicks.

Thanks for making our world less safe, collectively, with your gun-ho (sic) culcha (sic)....

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Oh sure, it starts with the local blackbelts at the corner store and the next thing you know, it's ninjas and samurai, then the comic book cosplayers and LARP'ers show up with their foam weaponry and it's a full on party from then on out.

Ah, America.
God shed His Grace on Thee.

Lmao !! I had a ninja outfit once
I'd be in that buying the shopping if I could a: find it, b: still fit into it. lol

This should be a thing. Cosplay/nerds donning their freak outfits to do mundane things.

No furries though. They'd be shot by some guy with a concealed weapon, for being unnatural weirdos...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
You guys are #ed up

www.gunviolencearchive.org...

www.ceasefireusa.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.theatlantic.com... americas-top-killing-machine/384440/

Regardless, you're a sick society and need to look at yourselves and think about what you want. No longer are you a beacon to the world, nor a representation of a free and equal society. It's a shame. You have so much potential, but you're caught up in your cancer.

edit on Sat Aug 1 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: changed ph to f Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

depends... how do you define furries? is a fake tail, dog collar, fake puppy ears and a blackened nose considered a full fledged furry? Or is a full mascot like uniform required? Cause cause... I like being a puppy sometimes, might be fun to go public... >.>

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Well the problem I think is he wants us to use our "historical heroes"
Sadly by the time America was founded... Guns were already invented, so that might be difficult.

Haven't you kind of just supported my point?

Look, I'm not saying that media absolutely influences the American male to want to be a hero with a gun, and I'm not saying this is true of absolutely everyone on that side of the conversation, I'm saying it's an interesting prospect and it might explain this cultural group and their motivations.

It's irrational to deny the very real fact that the American entertainment industry has been focused on guns as a primary weapon. Do you deny this? If so then the conversation would need to end, you're actively denying cultural reality in support of your views and there would be no point continuing.

All sensible people know that the American entertainment business was for a long time saturated with American hero movies shooting guns at bad guys. When you look at the ages of those with a fascination with guns and what seems to be a hero complex - we can say predominantly in their 40's and 50's - then they would have been teenagers in the 80's, when it could be argued that gun-wielding uber-macho American heroism was at its height in cinema.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Once I learn how to bend these spoons on command using only the power of my mind, I'm buying a Magneto helmet replica.

Yeah.
I'll wear that bad boy in public too.
I have no shame.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki
You guys are phucked up
Regardless, you're a sick society and need to look at yourselves and think about what you want. No longer are you a beacon to the world, nor a representation of a free and equal society. It's a shame. You have so much potential, but you're caught up in your cancer.

LOL
Regardless of what?

We are no longer a beacon to the world?
Okay then let your country take over if you want to, I don't mind.

Nor a free and equal society?
When was this magical time when the U.S. was a free and equal society? Really I would like to know.

We are caught up in our cancer? What does that even mean?
What exactly is it that Cancer is an analogy for here?
Its almost like your just stinging words together.

You know for someone who claims others are dicks and live in a martial society you sure do a lot of insulting and fight pick'n. Just say'n.
Physician heal thyself.
edit on 1-8-2015 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2015 by Punisher75 because: clarity

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join