It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You hate religion, I get it...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

There are several Christophobic ATSer's who routinely stalk my posts for the purpose of being snarky and rude because they hate religion.

More like you end up in the same threads frequently. No one is stalking you, or persecuting you from what I've seen.

In my opinion, somewhere along the line, someone claiming to be a Christian did major damage to their psyche causing them to project their inner damage onto any and all Christians. They seem to think it is their mission in life to be as mean as possible to anyone who claims to be a Christian.

I used the similar "pop psychology" myself to rationalize why some people just refused to believe the gospel. And just like you, I was wrong.

They are constantly accusing me of wanted a theocracy, which is laughable. Because Jesus clearly spoke against a theocracy based on Him. John 18:36 Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”
Yet this somehow goes over their head and they insist that all Christians want to take over the US and make it into a theocracy. Ludicrous.

It hasn't gone over anyone's head. You just refuse to open your eyes to the dominionist movement, and the millions of Christians who agree with their theology.

They also think all Christians are homophobic which is not true at all. They attribute the worse things possible to Christians and then go to say, well not ALL Christians, I have some Christian friends who aren't like that .... then repeat Christians are (something awful inserted here) Which is the racist equivalent of a white person saying "I have black friends."

Fortunately, it isn't all Christians. But the several million Christians who ARE homophobic comprises between 1/3 to 1/2 of Christians in the U.S. alone.

I get pretty tired of them. I have stop responding when they just can't let go and can only respond with snark and rudeness or classic anti-Christian rhetoric. That is the best way to handle these people, refuse to respond. If you refuse to respond, even when they taunt you to respond, you have won by default and they will tuck their tails behind their legs and go away.

And this is part of the hypocrisy we are talking about. I've seen you with your war bonnet on several times. You can get in the gutter with the best of us. Won by default? Tuck their tails? LOL.

Don't take it all so serious, Grandma. This is part and parcel of what we do here. We debate, argue, and fight over topics. Iron sharpens iron, madam. We all learn from these debates. I hold no malice toward you, or any other religious person on this site. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said the other way around. Such a shame.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

That is true, but when some overtly devout folk stick their fingers in their ears and hum the moment 'evolution' is murmured then what can you do? continue to promote the facts or back off?

However science and religion are not that dissimilar-the father of modern genetics was a monk.

edit on 31-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: beezzer

That is true, but when some overtly devout folk stick their fingers in their ears and hum the moment 'evolution' is murmured then what can you do? continue to promote the facts or back off?

Science and religion are not that dissimilar-the father of modern genetics was a monk.

I have two great friends who believe that God created the earth 6,000 years ago.

I know it's wrong and evil (but I am an asshole) but I'll play Jurassic Park whenever they come over.

We laugh.

Humor can be a great equalizer.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Science and religion are not that dissimilar-the father of modern genetics was a monk.

Gregor Mendle. (spelling?)

Know him quite well!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Know him quite well!

Mendel, Mendle-Tomato tomato.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Know him quite well!

Mendel, Mendle-Tomato tomato.

Actually I remember him for peas.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ISeekTruth101

Regarding the issue of religion, from the point of view of a person with religious beliefs but a secular mind...

This is a subject that has been on my mind a lot lately. I am a Christian at heart. This is a choice I make based upon my own morals and my own interpretation of Biblical scripture.

When I read the words of Christ I see kindness, compassion, forgiveness and tolerance. I see a lifestyle based upon empathy and love.

Then I turn outward and see how religion is manifest in America and the West and it breaks my heart. I don't see empathy and charity. I see greed and intolerance. I see a message perverted.

What's more - I see that perverted message projecting and seeking to claim the moral high ground when it has none. I see people twisting logic. I see supposedly "holy" men saying that others being free to choose somehow violates their own freedom of choice. Saying things like "If that person is allowed to be openly gay, it's a trespass against me".

What bullcrap.

No, OP. I do not hate religion at all. In fact I cherish and value not just my own religion, but the religion of all others. I respect that each of us is free to choose the God we bend our own knee to, even if we choose not to bend at all. I respect that, ultimately, only an individual will face their creator and that everyone deserves the right to face that creator having done what they feel to be right. Religion is not the problem at all. People who claim to be religious and then use it to justify bigotry and hate, they are the problem.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

If you hate religion why can't you just be civil and leave it be?

I don't think that people hate religion.

I think that it's how those people that believe in religion behave towards others that they hate. Which in turn fosters a hate for that religion and it's adherents.

If everyone actually behaved civilly. And I mean both sides. There wouldn't be an issue.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I don't think there is as much hate from GLBTQ+ than the Religious. i mean when you have Groups show up at Pride parades with God Hates **** signs, and yelling "immoral Abomination" etc you can see why GLBTQ+ would be upset, i don't think GLBTQ+ groups show up to Churches or Mass or anything like that with signs yelling remarks

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

i mean when you have Groups show up at Pride parades with God Hates **** signs, and yelling "immoral Abomination"

That's not religious. That IS hate.

I by no means claim to be religious anymore. I'm not sure what I believe in regard to faith today. But in my late teens I was highly religious. I have a few friends that were openly gay. Regardless of my personal beliefs, they were and still are friends of mine. There were countless times I stood up for them during physical and verbal confrontation. They even knew of my faith and had never accused me of hiding behind my religion in my beliefs. There was a mutual respect there and were never any problems to come between that friendship.

I don't understand why that type of behavior can't be common place. It saddens me, and should sadden anyone that it can't.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISeekTruth101
If you hate religion why can't you just be civil and leave it be? Is it because religion disgusts you so much

yes.
thats the answer
religion is like a cancer for the world and we would all be better off if it never existed

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
im just tired of religion and religious folk in general.
all the negativity and hate
all the hypocritical crap..

i work with a dude that constantly wants to engage me in conversation about religion vs science.
he talks about how he grew up 7th day adventist whatever the hell that is.
how he does the tithe thing plus an offering of 10%...on and on and on

the great thing is, the dude is a giant dick

drinks every night and gets sauced. always talking about the 6,000 IPA's he drank
got booted out of the navy for fighting...discharged or whatever
has a couple dui's
cheated on his current old lady and talks about how great it was all the time
talks about how women being given equal rights and entering the work force ruined the country and the economy
talks about how he does not hate gay people BUT loves to make his opinion known that they should not be allowed to marry

the list goes on and on and it is tiring....

just an example

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

That is Hate backed by their 'Beliefs' in Religion, regardless if that is the 'True' Religion or not, they are using Religion to justify their Hate of people, they have done it With Race, Sex, and Sexual Orientation

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Any group that protects pedophiles and uses its rules to steal children from there family and beat out of them there culture deserves zero respect.

But do keep on playing the victim game, it just shows how religion is a tool to oppress.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Some people genuinely come to ATS to spread faith, and spirituality and to exchange their religious viewpoints

Isn't proselytism against T&C??? You may want to look into that because that could explain some removed posts.

Anyway, This being ATS and not a religious website I think members should know they are going to be challenged. People have different ideas and if religious groups can't handle that then they should stick to religious websites where they are more likely to have interactions with like minded people.

Try to remember we are all here of our own accord and it is up to the individual to abide by the T&C if one can't control themselves then their posts should be removed.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

WHAT HE SAID!!!

originally posted by: ISeekTruth101
Yeah obviously a believer is going to get upset, their belief and ideology is being mocked? And their sincere viewpoints are being shunned and rag dolled across the forum.

Most people get upset to a degree when their beliefs are mocked and shunned. Religious people aren't the only ones who have "beliefs". We all do. And everyone's beliefs here get "rag dolled" across the forum from time to time.

If you have nothing good to say, or have no sincere intention to exchange knowledge in the religion forums or even to learn more why can't you just let the religious be?

Does that go for every forum topic here? If you have nothing good to say about aliens, 9/11, politics, etc., just stay out of those forums? Why are we here if we aren't discussing our beliefs? We ALL get disagreed with. Why is religion special?

... instead some members see it as an opportunity to mock, taunt, discriminate, such posters all the while throwing snide ,sarky remarks left, right and center.

That happens in EVERY forum.

I just don't know if ATS feels safe for me to post my views anymore, at least not on the topics that matter most to me...

What do you mean "safe"? No one can hurt you or your views. You are safe. Your views, opinions, and religion are safe. You are free to ignore people who post things you don't like. Do you honestly expect everyone to cater to you or treat you with kid gloves because your topis is religion instead of the many other topics here?

I feel bit a better

Good. But remember... Here, religion is just another topic like UFOs, Conspiracies, Area 51 and Middle East Issues. ATS is not a religious forum. If you want protection, there are sites that provide that.

edit on 7/31/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

In case you were worried I was referring to you, I was not.

You and I have tussled yes, but you are not one of people whose mission in life is to be snarky, rude and mean to anyone who claims to be a Christian. And you may not agree, but they exist on ATS and they do love to be especially snarky and rude and mean to people they have encountered and know that the person is a Christian.

But I guess you do get to know the opinions of a select few who like the same topics you do.
They are learning that I will come back with a rational argument and once they repeat the same tired old snarks after a few pages, about Christians, that is when I decide to let it go and refuse to engage. I've even had some PM me and ask why I won't respond to them.

The OP does need to realize that being on a forum like this, one has to expect people to be mean and rude and snarky to anyone who has a deeply held conviction or faith, it's just the way it is.

edit on 4Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:40:55 -0500pm73107pmk315 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I never post snide or snarky comments, but I will say I have met a lot of people who have claimed to be a Christian, but have yet to meet an actual Christian.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I see this site as nothing more than a place to sharpen my skills. If you can handle the debates here then you can handle them anywhere. Sure some of these guys are nasty but I just sit back and laugh at them. I love it when some of them go out their way to try and make you look bad. The ones who do that are usually the young bucks or some old fart who is just mad at God for whatever reason.

Don't let it get to you, and don't be afraid to fight back, some will do it just to try and scare you off, but just keep going and stick to your thoughts, after awhile they always get tired and crawl back in their hole.
edit on 31-7-2015 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Yes I agree. The problem is there is another rational and relevant argument that seems to be ignored by some Christians. They will argue and rationalize all day but when someone does not agree with them and points out the multitude of Christians who are just as vile, it's either ignored or swept aside by saying, "well they aren't really indicative of Christianity."

Yet others will try plainly explaining that a couple thousand loud-mouthed, sad atheists are not indicative of all of atheism, Paganism, etc, will be ignored just as much. Their is a strong level of hypocrisy in both sides of the argument. The problem is neither side seems to want to admit it.

edit on 31-7-2015 by KyoZero because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join