It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone shooting: U.S. home-owner faces charges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well it's time for KINGKelson post 3.0! Let's see if this one works out.

So I don't know if this has been posted before, either the topic in general or specifically and therefore unable to determine if this is the right forum. It seems right but if not mods please move it or delete it if it's a repost. Thank you

Drone shooting: US home-owner faces charges - www.bbc.co.uk...

So basically the Home-owner's daughter told him about a done flying around the neighborhood. When it flew over his property he shot it down with a shotgun citing concerns over his family's privacy. Later the drone owner came by and a heated exchange followed (according to the article. ) and now the home-owner is facing charges.

So ATS, what do you think?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: KingKelson

I have no problem with what this guy did. If you fly your drone over my property, it's coming down. If you want to fly your drone, do it over your own property or over public property... don't do it over mine.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Flying a drone over my house=target practice.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I completely agree . But the fact that he may be facing charges is unsettling. Although the article does say that charges such as these tend not to favor the drone owners. I'm all for recreational drone flying as long as property and privacy are respected. I believe there was actually a South Park episode about this as well.

Another thought I had is what if it was a government/police drone doing the same thing. Would the man get a felony or worse for defending his privacy? reply to: Blazemore2000

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
A drone flying over his neighborhood (thus saying he has neighbors and homes nearby), then blasting it with a shotgun. A shotgun! No, nothing could go wrong there. Someone should manufacture and promote Drone Nets, like butterfly nets only larger and not for butterflies (bigger holes so insects or birds can't get caught in them). Make a millions dollars (and remember me when you market it, a two-percent share should make me a happy camper).

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Was the drone above 500 feet?
If so, then he doesn't own that airspace.

Was the shooter putting anything in danger by firing a shotgun into the air?
You don't get to just start shooting a shotgun into the air.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Would you be able to hit anything with a shotgun 500 feet in the air? Serious question
a reply to: JohnTheSmith

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

And he was arrested and charged for firing the shotgun and endangerment so there is that

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Yes and no. It's to much to type from my phone, so I'll just say no. 500 feet up is a no go.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I agree with what the man did to an extent. It is still illegal to fire into the air and in a neighborhood unless your life is in danger.

I'd have done everything I could to take the drone out. No telling what kind of person is looking at your daughters.

Still, shooting a firearm into the air isn't the brightest.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

How dare you.

Those poor drones have rights too, they are curious because it's in their nature. Drones are a protected species and shooting one down violates many laws, If you see a drone you should play dead or call the nearest airfield; the good folk at your local AFB will stun and relocate the problem drone to the nearest drone sanctuary.

It's the bears you should be worried about-they cannot be trusted.

edit on 31-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well he should admit to a discharge within city limits charge.

But it should be understood that everything he did was morally justified.

No, a shotgun isnt going to come even close to touching 500ft. In fact, the fact that he took it down with a shotgun shows how close it was.

I want to also add that there is virtually no danger to firing a shotgun in the air like other high velocity rounds. Unless its lead-shot. Those are bad for the soil.
edit on 31-7-2015 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The report posted leaves out that the drone operator was hovering over peoples heads and personal property, also recording is a no, no as well. The guy mainly got in trouble to shooting at it with a gun, while it was over the head of a minor. I can't blame him for taking it down, but he might have been better off using the hose on it.

I have yet to run in to a quad copter that can handle the spray from a garden hose. Also has a high chance of messing up the camera. Meaning the person is flying impaired or blind.

Some people have take to building a short range scrambler, this won't work on the drones that have an auto return.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingKelson
Would you be able to hit anything with a shotgun 500 feet in the air? Serious question

With a 12 gauge slug, maybe. He did fire 3 shots. I doubt he was packing birdshot.

ETA reply:

originally posted by: Chickensalad
No, a shotgun isnt going to come even close to touching 500ft. In fact, the fact that he took it down with a shotgun shows how close it was.

You can't be serious. You think a shotgun SLUG cannot travel 500 feet and disable a POS quad copter?

edit on 7 31 2015 by JohnTheSmith because: ETA reply

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith

originally posted by: KingKelson

With a 12 gauge slug, maybe. He did fire 3 shots. I doubt he was packing birdshot.

I suppose a rifled slug would reach out and touch at 500ft.

I didn't consider that.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith
Was the drone above 500 feet?
If so, then he doesn't own that airspace.

Was the shooter putting anything in danger by firing a shotgun into the air?
You don't get to just start shooting a shotgun into the air.

It isn't safe to shoot a rifle into the air.
If you are shooting fine shot, it is pretty safe to shoot a shotgun into the air. #9 birdshot is approximately 2 mm in diameter and generally does not harm a person when falling from the sky after a person shoots into the air. It's velocity is too slow to penetrate the skin by the time it reaches the ground level, due to air resistance.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad
My smooth bore 12 gauge with a bear slug will take out a deer at 100 yards. I'm sure I could take out a drone at 500 feet easily.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

At 500ft it would have to be a slug.

But I'm guessing that it wasn't that high since it was reported to be flying around people's heads.

I made that statement sort of assuming that it most likely a birdshot.

I know, I know....

Something about assumptions making an ass out of me or something. ..

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If a man can shoot a drone down with a shotgun, the altitude of that drone would be extremely low. The drone would of had to be a super soft target, considering what brought it down.
edit on 31-7-2015 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
If a man can shoot a drone down with a shotgun, the altitude of that drone would be extremely. The drone would of had to be a super soft target, considering what brought it down.

Most of the commercial models are built of plastic and metal screws, nothing armored about them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join