It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter: The U.S. Is an "Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+51 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It seems that the rich and the politicians they buy are pleased with the mess of a political system we have. Thanks to citizens united and other recent decisions the mega wealthy and their corporations own politics in the US of A!

the United States is now an “oligarchy” in which “unlimited political bribery” has created “a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors.” Both Democrats and Republicans, Carter said, “look upon this unlimited money as a great benefit to themselves.”

CARTER: It violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president. And the same thing applies to governors and U.S. senators and congressmembers. So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over … The incumbents, Democrats and Republicans, look upon this unlimited money as a great benefit to themselves. Somebody’s who’s already in Congress has a lot more to sell to an avid contributor than somebody’s who’s just a challenger.

source

Once we were proud of our supreme court that championed civil rights for the people, that pride is gone as they now serve their corporate masters, just like our politicians.

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Carter was/is no fool, and it doesn't take one to recognize that the Citizens United ruling was a huge "bend over" to the american citizen.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Anyone who cant see that and think US politics operates on a fair and non corrupt basis is blind.

BTW
In the UK all mp have to declare who sponsered them and any links to buisness on election.

Do US congressmen and senaters have to do the same? And if so were would you find that information?

Would be curious who is funding who....

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I agree with Carter for once.

People are corruptible and politicians and bureaucrats are people (despite popular opinion).

The thing is, the solution must be to neutralize or at least dramatically reduce the power which is being abused. There is no other way to reduce the cause and its effects.

Don't let anyone tell you that increasing power will do anything but amplify and metastasize the problem.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

The thing is, the solution must be to neutralize or at least dramatically reduce the power which is being abused. There is no other way to reduce the cause and its effects.

Don't let anyone tell you that increasing power will do anything but amplify and metastasize the problem.

Right, and the GOP is the best choice to reduce corporate power?

Trump?

edit on 31-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: greencmp

Right, and the GOP is the best choice to reduce corporate power?

If I haven't been clear, I apologize.

If you want real reduction in abuse of power, vote libertarian, vote for Gary North.

That said, there is some truth to your accusation. I am somewhat pragmatic and I do believe that public sector unions are such an existential threat to the country that they must be completely eliminated and there is only one candidate who has a record of taking them on.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Everyone, we know they are firmly in control, they have usurped power of this nation to themselves, there is only one solution to this problem now. Only question remaining is whether the American people are going to do it or will the rest of the world?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

And here we are, arguing over political candidates that are set up by the same power brokers for us to choose from.

To be honest? Right now, the only way I see anyone ever succeeding is by playing the system and siding with the elites.

Not the loud, ivory tower types either.

The quiet ones.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
" Jimmy Carter: The U.S. Is an "Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery" "

Now he tells us.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Sorry to tell you that, Bernie does not fit the profile of the Lobbyist loving super pac creeps we usually have in the R & D presidential candidate slots.

Go Bernie!

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

Sorry to tell you that, Bernie does not fit the profile of the Lobbyist loving super pac creeps we usually have in the R & D presidential candidate slots.

Go Bernie!

*laughs*

This is why I enjoy the "Great Game" and grand conspiracies of politics!

Of course Bernie is different. This time, real change is gonna happen!

I have all the "hope" in the world for the "change".

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I think we will be seeing a change, I just hope that change is not for austerity and the further demeaning of the poor and the remains of the middle class.

Not many choices, do you think Hilary or the clown car bunch will help the people?

edit on 31-7-2015 by AlaskanDad because: added middle class

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

All of this reminds me of the abused spouse who defends her husband by saying, "It'll be different this time. He said he wouldn't beat me anymore!"

And we, the American people are that abused spouse. We take the abuser back into the house and everything is fine. Until after the election. Then he starts drinking again and hitting again and beating again.

Because it's for our own good.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Not many choices, do you think Hilary or the clown car bunch will help the people?

Short answer?

No.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

When voting I often want to vote no confidence in the candidates, unfortunately that choice is not marked on the ballot, not voting is allowing the system to continue.

How do you stop a corrupt government???

edit on 31-7-2015 by AlaskanDad because: sp correction

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

When voting I often want to vote no confidence in the candidates, unfortunately that choice is no marked on the ballot, not voting is allowing the system to continue.

How do you stop a corrupt government???

You don't.

Not when they are the ones making the rules.

How can you win any game when the rules are constantly rewritten by the people winning?

Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything.

Voting matters.

Candidates are different.

Hope and change does exist.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

All of this reminds me of the abused spouse who defends her husband by saying, "It'll be different this time. He said he wouldn't beat me anymore!"

And we, the American people are that abused spouse. We take the abuser back into the house and everything is fine. Until after the election. Then he starts drinking again and hitting again and beating again.

But the husband you speak of has a record of abuse, can you please show me how Bernie Sanders has a record of abusing the people???

Bad analogy!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

But the husband you speak of has a record of abuse, can you please show me how Bernie Sanders has a record of abusing the people???

Bad analogy!

That's right.

This time it'll be different.

(it's because he loves us!)

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe you're right.

Let's hope so, eh!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

It seems that the rich and the politicians they buy are pleased with the mess of a political system we have.

Thats because its not a mess for them.

The Lobbyist/Corporations always end up in the winning side even when they lose (Bailouts). Thats the advantage of creating the rules ,legislation and laws in this country. Enough so, that they spend multi millions a year and dedicate teams of lawyers to do it.

Our congress are just robo-signers for what the lobbyist draft and create for them. Pelosi wasn't lying when she said that we must past the law to see what is in it. Lobbyist gives legislation to congress and they just sign away to make sure they get their bonus checks , positive PR MSM spin, and re-election funding.

We on the other hand always get to pickup the tab .

That is why the system isn't changing and why the same issues that exist today have existed for numerous decades, because its not broken for THEM. Its working just fine. Heck they purposely made it that way.

Although , I wish Carter would have done something while in office to separate the lobbying dollars from politicians. At least he is talking now about the only issue we should be discussing as everything else are symptoms derived from this (corruption).

Forget Healthcare,economy,immigration,gay rights, religions, etc....... . Concentrate on the corruption first then tackle those things. until then you can't expect a corrupted system to fix itself when its benefiting from how things are because they created it that way.

edit on 50731America/ChicagoFri, 31 Jul 2015 10:50:45 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I guess the reason he now tells is that he is old enough and no afraid to be killed for telling the truth.

For years he was ridiculed, talked about and call a poor lame president, perhaps it was in an effort to keep him from becoming to vocal on the issues that we all know too well that are killing this nation, America is not what people think, is what those in power wants us to think.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join