It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden Ocean Found Underneath China's Largest Basin Is Larger Than Five Great Lakes Combined

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Scientists have found a hidden Ocean underneath the Tarim Basin in northwestern Xinjiang, China. I find this very interesting because I heard there was also a hidden Ocean under the Sahara Desert a few years back right here on ATS.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Scientists have suspected that the water is a result from high, nearby mountains, and that melt water from those mountains had slipped beneath the basin. “This is a terrifying amount of water,” said professor Li Yan, who led the study at the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography in Urumqi, the Xinjiang capital, the South China Morning Post reported. “Never before have people dared to imagine so much water under the sand. Our definition of desert may have to change.”

The Tarim Basin is the world’s largest landlocked basins and also home to China’s biggest desert, the Takla Makan Desert, which is situated in the middle of the basin and is presumed to be the world’s second largest-shifting desert.

Li’s team had accidentally discovered the water; they had actually been looking for carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide can be absorbed in certain regions called “carbon sinks,” and scientists study those “carbon sinks” to better understand climate change. Li’s team had discovered 10 years that carbon dioxide had been disappearing into the basin, but could not understand why.

Wow! Now this means there are two known major hidden water sources. I wonder how many more there are. Even more, I wonder what they could incorporate...lost plants, animals, cities...? Or maybe this is water that has been "recycled" and will return to the surface during the next major Geological shift. What does ATS think?

www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

As the world runs out of non-salt water this new Chinese resource will help that nation survive and prosper. Just one more asset in China's column. I'm glad I like egg rolls and fried rice.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
S&F
I like this, but you know, it will never get a chance to be "recycled",
now that the proverbial cat is outta the bag...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Nah the u.s.a will just steal the Saharan desert you'll be rite mate.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Well this seems pretty cool. I'll have to read up.

Thanks OP.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

After all of the violent and miserable things I see on the news, I'm so glad you shared this.

The world can be a violent, and cruel place... But the earth has so many beautiful mysteries that we haven't even begun to unlock yet. It's so interesting because we have all this new technology, and we are finding and discovering things that we never could have known even 100 years ago. Our ancestors would be impressed I think.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It will be somewhere like that all the UFO Orbs we see are living and are until now out of our sight. This find must contain life............ But not as we know it?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

As the world runs out of non-salt water

'The world' is not running out though, just certain countries and regions because of poor management, think California etc.

new topics

top topics

join