It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Feelings, and Why They do not Matter.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte

Problem is - people like you grew up in a traumatized culture with a conservative ethos - an ethos that constricts and constrains what it allows itself to feel, basically due to a fundamental shame phobia that is covered over by an idealization of self - "ubermensch" - to which the person is too unsupported in his living to overcome.

You're completely wrong again, Asstrocyte. What else have you assumed from the framework of your feelings?

Your post isn't "dissonant", it's riddled with pathos, and it shows.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte

Your talent for making silly arguments using clever writing is unmatched.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: TzarChasm

Because something is fun is not a reason to do it. I never do anything for fun. I play for other reasons—health, learning, self-betterment etc.

Because you play strictly for constructive purposes does not invalidate those who play for less constructive purposes. People who entertain chemical indulgences, or spectate violent sports, or explore apps and similar digital outlets. Cutting straight to the point, these people indulge their feelings because feelings give us context the same way nerves give us contact. Nerves allow us to navigate for the sake of physiological wellbeing, and emotions allows us to navigate for psychological wellbeing. Its somewhat less of an exact science than vitamins and exercise, but joy and grief are no less informative than pleasure and pain. It just takes a discerning mind to filter and apply the data.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I love children, but I do not gratify their wants and desires to please mine. I suppose its more a matter of giving them what they need rather than what they want. Trust me, they'll be more thankful in the long run

I'm coming in late in the discussion, and probably don't have much of substance to contribute. I am currently exhausted, both physically and mentally, because I have been very busy in variosu endeavors, both professional and private.

But it seems to me that particular debate about children says nothing about the intellect vs. emotion dispute.
People who are less aware of the emotional desire and need for limits set by the exterior or others are often less likely to counter the appetites of children.

I put limits and obstacles in front of my children because I acknowledged the emotions (feelings) I had as a child.
It is not a matter of choosing intellect over emotion; it is a matter of recognizing long term emotional fulfilment as well as short term, in oneself. Of admitting, honestly, "I needed and wanted limits" (whether you actually got them or not).

I don't think we are ever totally objective and without emotional influence - even when we think we are.

I also think that being so (if I could) is not desireable, as we are social creatures- we live in communities, in which emotions are an important part of communication and cooperation.
edit on 13-11-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

You made a lengthy post on the first page, but good to see your insight has evolved a bit in the past year and a half.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

You made a lengthy post on the first page, but good to see your insight has evolved a bit in the past year and a half.

Pfft. Well there you go. As time goes by, I realize more and more that I am, in fact, an idiot, so if it is only intellect we need to get by on, I would be in great trouble.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I know that isn't the case. Intellect is only a small factor of a multi-faceted being. Deriving what I can from the stories you tell, you seem like an interesting person, and that is, in the end, the meaning of life.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
oh the irony... OP, your feeling, wherein our feelings don't matter, doesnt matter. which means our feelings do in fact matter, as a result of dismissing your sentiment by the same virtue you dismiss everyone elses. bazinga.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

Pfft. Well there you go. As time goes by, I realize more and more that I am, in fact, an idiot, so if it is only intellect we need to get by on, I would be in great trouble.

einstein once said everyone is a genius in their own manner, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, then we are also all idiots. intelligence is often a matter of perspective. a mathematical genius may swindle others out of their money and using it to invent war machines while a special needs student with down syndrome spends their entire life dedicated to a local soup kitchen and making people smile because they know deep down it is a good thing to do. who has the true intelligence? and can you see where feelings might have factored into such a contrast in character?

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

einstein once said everyone is a genius in their own manner, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, then we are also all idiots. intelligence is often a matter of perspective. a mathematical genius may swindle others out of their money and using it to invent war machines while a special needs student with down syndrome spends their entire life dedicated to a local soup kitchen and making people smile because they know deep down it is a good thing to do. who has the true intelligence? and can you see where feelings might have factored into such a contrast in character?

Indeed, that's why you have to act in accordance with nature, with your own nature. The most difficult part is figuring out what that nature is.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Indeed, that's why you have to act in accordance with nature, with your own nature. The most difficult part is figuring out what that nature is.

nobody ever said that feelings are easy to navigate or interpret. but cutting the knot in half instead of unraveling it is a rather barbaric and crude approach to the matter.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I have SEEN empathy weaponized from family for manipulation ,criminals to steal from me and the LAST administration as a tool to hypnotize people into using VICTIM HOOD as a PLATFORM and it is ugly,offensive and of course an INSANE way to live.
I am sorry for crack addicts but THEY better stay away from me...

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
I have SEEN empathy weaponized from family for manipulation ,criminals to steal from me and the LAST administration as a tool to hypnotize people into using VICTIM HOOD as a PLATFORM and it is ugly,offensive and of course an INSANE way to live.
I am sorry for crack addicts but THEY better stay away from me...

Everything can be weaponized.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Reality sucks like that.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

How about we all agree that in the grand scheme of the functioning of the universe: what you and I feel about this thread means closer to zilch than it does to something of significance?

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join