It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question of Traditional Folklore and Aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I am about to explore a new avenue in my constant thirst for more perspectives and understandings into this phenomenon - that of the traditional folklore and tales of international cultures. I want to sift through and draw any overt correlations that might be made between what we have gathered together in anecdotal data of the Ufology and Abduction cases in contemporary times and what oral traditions have been passed down intergenerationally.

Has anyone got any suggestions, leads, or know of similar studies that may have been done?

Kindest regards,
Azurecara

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Start your search with half man half human hybrid entities in lore, mythology, and legends.

I saw aliens that can be described as both shapeshifters and transformers.

www.native-languages.org... I live in Squamish, The legends here connect to the entities i have interacted with.

Important Squamish Mythological Figures The Transformer (also known as the Changer or Reformer): A mythic figure common to many Northwestern tribes, who brought balance to the world by using his powers to change people, animals, and the landscape into the forms they have today.

en.wikipedia.org...

Transformers A central part of Sḵwx̱wú7mesh history in their oral culture is the stories of supernatural deities often called The Transformers. These Transformers, were three brothers, sent by the Creator or keke7nex siyam. These three beings had supernatural powers, often using them to "transform" individuals into creatures, stone figures, or other supernatural event.

Native American Tranformers

Kokumthena: Most Algonquian cultures had a Transformer hero in their mythology-- a human-like supernatural being who shaped the world and helped the people. Kokumthena is somewhat unique in that she is female (the Blackfoot tribe had a married couple, Old-Man and Old-Lady, in this role; all the other Algonquian tribes we know of had male Transformer figures.) In Shawnee legends, Kokumthena is depicted as an old woman (her name means "our grandmother") and does not take part in any of the heroic or whimsical exploits other Algonquian Transformer heroes engage in. Kokumthena may originally have been a more typical Algonquian grandmother goddess like the Anishinabe Nokomis and taken on her Transformer role later in Shawnee history.

www.mythencyclopedia.com...

"Culture Heroes and Transformers. Central to many Native American myths is the culture hero who makes the world a suitable place for humans and teaches people how to live. Such a character might form the earth and sky, create people and animals, or kill monsters or turn them into stones. These figures might also release animals that evil spirits have imprisoned, establish social structures for humans, or teach people crafts, arts, and ceremonies.

In the mythologies of some Indian groups of the Northeast, the culture hero Gluskap creates humans, returns from death to defeat evil, and protects people from natural and magical disasters. In Navajo mythology, warrior twins named Monster Slayer and Child of Water—sons of Sun and of Water, respectively—play a similar role. The myths of some California Indians tell of the Attajen, who teaches the first people how to make rain and how to fill the earth with plants and animals, and of Chinigchinich, who teaches the wise men how to perform ceremonial dances that will summon him when they have need of help in the future.

Tricksters. Tricksters appear in nearly all Native American mythologies, but they generally have a greater place in the folklore of hunter-gatherer peoples than of settled agricultural groups, possibly because people who lived on wild resources were more keenly aware of the uncertain nature of life. The trickster, who is almost always male, represents uncertainty. He loves to upset things and spread confusion.

Sometimes the trickster's acts are comic pranks, but they often have a cruel side as well. They might involve sexual trickery, as when the trickster disguises himself as a woman so that he can marry a man or marries his own daughters while in disguise. A trickster can also be a devilish figure who eats babies or leads other creatures to harm themselves. His behavior often stems from impatience or from uncontrollable appetites."

edit on pm70000003115Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:26:56 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Try Jacques Vallée.
HE has some very good perspectives.
As far as cultural research, you are more or less on your own.
The idea of what a UFO is has been developed by Movies, modern science, medicine, military.
The phenomenon is outside of time but the interpretation always mirrors the culture it is experienced in.
Call it observer bias.
a reply to: azurecara

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

You might start by reading Carl Jung; it might challenge your belief in extra-terrestrials.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: azurecara
I am about to explore a new avenue in my constant thirst for more perspectives and understandings into this phenomenon - that of the traditional folklore and tales of international cultures. I want to sift through and draw any overt correlations that might be made between what we have gathered together in anecdotal data of the Ufology and Abduction cases in contemporary times and what oral traditions have been passed down intergenerationally.

Has anyone got any suggestions, leads, or know of similar studies that may have been done?

Kindest regards,
Azurecara

I wish that I knew 50 more people like you! Good luck!
What a worthy goal;

yes, Jacques Vallee is the man.. I'd start with this book:

"Passport to Magonia: From Folklore to Flying Saucers Paperback – November 23, 2014
by Jacques Vallee (Author)"

This this one (at all costs, it's getting harder to find it):

"Ufos Psychic Close Encounters: The Electromagnetic Indictment
by Albert Budden

Then this one (when you get time - it's not directly on your target list
but it's simply amazing; it would help you find balance (it did for me).

The Fall: The Insanity of the Ego in Human History and the Dawning of A New Era
-Steve Taylor"

Good luck!

Kevin

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
We have many members that claim to interact (we have one above) ,communicate or have regular sightings because they live in secluded areas yet they never seem to be able to provide any solid verifiable proof more importantly if challenge there always seems to be some excuse why they can't.
edit on 31-7-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I will take you up on that suggestion - all perspectives interest me. I would not say I had a belief in extra-terrestrials per se, but I do have a strong belief in the phenomenon that has been occurring for years. Researching through all the angles, theories and perspectives creates a sea of data that does not appear to be (well to the sea of public masses) assimilated or studied by any serious main stream science. That fact alone stuns me to the core...

a reply to: DJW001

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

A thousand thanks! This is absolutely perfect for further research.

Kindest regards,
Azurecara

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

I'm not sure how new you are to the field of ufology or abductions, but the only tangible physical evidence that I have read about that is involved in this phenomenon are the implants that Dr Roger Leir removed from a variety of patients. These implants were connected by anecdotal testimony though.

There are of course the rumours, whispers and testimonies of people who claim to have witnessed downed foreign crafts and bodies - however these have never been confirmed, or brought into the public eye.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
We have many members that claim to interact (we have one above) ,communicate or have regular sightings because they live in secluded areas yet they never seem to be able to provide any solid verifiable proof more importantly if challenge there always seems to be some excuse why they can't.

The entire field of 'UFOs' is rife with mental illness,
self-delusion, misidentificaton, black aircraft,
hallucinations caused by UAP, and in the final
analysis not very much which is 'genuine'.

and even that 'genuine' is NOT nuts and bolts craft
piloted by little green men.

I myself have only seen one, in my face, cannot
deny, massive, highly unusual 'UFO' - ONCE in 54
years. Once.

And it's been a pain in the ass ever since, as I
now have to solve the enigma.

Kev

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: azurecara
a reply to: wmd_2008

I'm not sure how new you are to the field of ufology or abductions, but the only tangible physical evidence that I have read about that is involved in this phenomenon are the implants that Dr Roger Leir removed from a variety of patients. These implants were connected by anecdotal testimony though.

There are of course the rumours, whispers and testimonies of people who claim to have witnessed downed foreign crafts and bodies - however these have never been confirmed, or brought into the public eye.

You want to read up on 'angel hair' and also the reports
at the end of the 18th century of high purity metal objects
and various kitchen gear falling out of the sky, before the
airplane or dirigibles were invented.

But you won't find anything you can 'prove'; and that is
by design considering the nature of the phenomenon.

I myself would put ZERO credence in 'implants' as it's
not physical beings causing the phenomenon ---
at least that's the conclusion that many researchers
who have followed this road have come to.

Kev

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

If I am understanding the question then anything pertaining to the Hopi Indians is pretty fascinating. From the ant people to the giants, etc. It's very interesting though if you look throughout many civilizations from Indians to other ancient cultures they all have very similar stories along this type of stuff.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Yes if you want to understand mythology and it's motifs you must understand it's characters or archetypes, to do so you should seriously read and understand Carl Jung and what he said on the subject it will enlighten you to the true nature of reality.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
One source well worth investigating is to look into the history and folklore legends of areas that have what are referred to as "UFO flaps". A flow chart would like something like this.

Several recent and other modern UFO reports--------------->History and folklore of the local area-------------->Are there any active geological features in the area in particular, fault lines?

Fault lines can be important for more than one reason. Firstly, the movement of rocks strata against each other can cause triboluminescence which has, in the past, undoubtedly been the cause of some UFO reports. Secondly, there is strong evidence to suggest that, even without triboluminescence present, the electrical fields generated by movements in the earth's strata can have an effect on the brain and trigger full blown hallucinogenic experiences. Both Jacques Vallee in his various works and John Keel, in his book "Operation Trojan Horse", discuss this possibility with reference to UFOs.

In Northern Europe they go by many names, in the British Isles they were often referred to as "The people who live under the hill". More often than not, they come under the banner of the "Fey"/Faeries etc. There is a long history on both written and oral traditions that people who visit "The folk under the hill", spend what seems to be one night with them, to return and find anything from days to years have passed in their own world. That is, the whole "missing time syndrome" is nothing new, there is a long historical precedence for it.

And yes, anyone reading that and recognising something, where do you think Tolkien sourced the idea of "Hobbits" and came up with such names for them as the "Underhills"?

I've mentioned several times of the various threads pertaining to "Rendlesham" that, the area has a rich folklore stretching back thousands of years with regular and repeated, even to today , reports of "spectral black dogs", "disembodied floating lights" and the now dried up pool in the centre of the forest was long said to have been the abode of another worldly spirit, in the form of a mermaid. It should be noted that "mermaids" were more often attached to pools and lakes long before they became the creatures of the sea as we think of them these days.

For myself, I find that I am in the same place that Vallee currently is and Keel was. As much as I can point to geological faults, long oral and written traditions, magnetic and electronic fields and say, "Yes, these all have an important part in our experience of the subject. There is something more, something not yet tangible or measurable in human terms, that strongly suggests there are intelligences,other than humans at work, in that we call "our world".
edit on 31-7-2015 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FireMoon

I agree.

But that last admission is the
hardest one to make for anyone
who loves science as I do.

Kev

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Yeah, can't recommend Jacques Vallee strongly enough. He seems to hit the proverbial nail on the head. For another interesting perspective, you might also want to consider the late Mac Tonnies' book, The Cryptoterrestrials which allows for nuts and bolts concepts but with an intriguing concept.

And yes, do take a look at all of the traditional faerie lore of Europe ranging from elfs and dwarfs and faerie rings and missing time and changeling babies.... Yeah. Sounding familiar, yet?

new topics

top topics

join