It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux Versions?!?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Are there versions READY for download,
like FULL SAFETY ON, Medium, or do it
yourself versions??

I have no programing skills at ALL..

So i would like to have a linky to a version
that i can download and install and use..
Without any more or atleast VERRY little
effort.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
There are a few user friendly versions however I can't remember the name of the particular Distro that I once used, I consider myself an intermediate user.

www.linux.com... 10295-the-top-11-best-linux-distros-for-2015

Elementary OS possibly?
edit on 30-7-2015 by AlongCamePaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

I love Ubuntu. www.ubuntu.com...

It's easy to use.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ubuntu and Mint are pretty straightforward.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Ubuntu is amazing,

and great for hacking into a windows PC with no login credentials!!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Linuxmint. Easy.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Debian

Ubuntu

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Been around for like 20 years so i would think so.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Ubuntu is the easiest to use for a beginner and quite good, but by no means fully safe, but a cursory search on youtube will show you how even a first time user can access the settings to change some of the security settings.

If it is your first time using a linux distro id recommend Ubuntu, looooads of users and therefore loads of tutorials/help available on the web.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Linux mint is the easiest for a noob.

www.linuxmint.com...

I am running it on the laptop I am typing on - everything comes with the distro that you need, so if you're a windows user, you will feel at home because there is no searching but bits and pieces to make it work properly.

Just make sure you choose the right one for your computer i.e. 32 bit or 64 bit.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Ubuntu, ZorinOS, and Linux Mint are great starter Linux distros.

Follow the instructions for installation and you should be up and running within an hour.

All of these distros are free.

I use Debian. It is also pretty easy to use.

OpenSUSE is reasonably user friendly, and there are some flavors of BSD that, while more advanced, tend to be packaged with easy to use desktop environments.

Try a few of them and see what you like best.
edit on 3072015 by LunaticPandora because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Ubuntu and Mint are both excellent distro's. Ubuntu is probably the easier of the two in regards to detecting and handling all hardware and drivers - which is the most difficult thing for many new users. Some display adapters ( graphics cards ), touchpad and wireless adapters require proprietary drivers that Linux doesn't support. Ubuntu has the simplest interface for installing those. Mint is nearly as simple and uses the same basic software - but in my own experience sometimes Mint forces one to know a bit more than a brand new user might be able to master. Ubuntu keeps it all mostly "point and click".

In this day and age the biggest issue you'll probably encounter, if you have a newish PC, is the EUFI. I would advice doing a web search like "first ( insert distro here ) install ever" and getting a bit of knowledge in pocket beforehand. Ubuntu is also going to work best here as there are many, many forums, blogs, and tech sites that cover every conceivable problem.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

It depends on what you plan to do.

If you just want to play with it, Cinnamon on Mint (Ubuntu) is very close to the desktop experience that most users are familiar with.

If you want to use it for actual applications, CentOS is the best choice in my opinion or just hunker down and get RHEL or a real UNIX.
edit on 30-7-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I've tried many. I always keep the 2 latest versions of Pclinuxos, kde version, and Mint Linux, kde version. They're both great, very very very good and stable and one of the two alwasys works with all my hardware, until some update later on where they all do, or a walk around.

My preference is Pclinuxos, its solid, not cutting edge but stable. Mint Linux is a little more cutting edge but also seems pretty stable when I have it on.

www.pclinuxos.com...

www.linuxmint.com...
edit on 30-7-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Debian with the Cinnamon desktop is both extremely stable and good looking.

I chose Debian because so many derivatives have come from it. Ubuntu and LinuxMint are Debian based, Kali is Debian based, ZorinOS, and several others.

Debian is one of the longest standing and supported Linux distros out there. There's a wealth of information for it, it's easy to configure, and when you learn the command line side of things the system becomes a powerful tool rather than just a platform for browsing cat pictures on the internet.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LunaticPandora
a reply to: Unity_99
the system becomes a powerful tool rather than just a platform for browsing cat pictures on the internet.

But I like cat pictures

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Soooo...
1: I have a PC with W8.1 on..
2: I have a HDD dockinbay..
3: I have a NEW (as in not used at ALL) 500gb 2.5" drive

Q: Can i put that drive in DB and install? (Its both 3.5" and 2.5" capable)
Q2: Will i be able to LAUNCH the OS when drive is in the DB?
edit on 2015/7/31 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here. Linux can be utilised one of three ways;

1)Live CD (This is an excellent way to try various versions without committing to an install) - change your BIOS to boot off the CDROM before the hard drive and then you can boot and used Linux live cds - it is a bit slower but leaves windows intact and untouched. As the CD will not be able to written to, no software you install will save permanently.

2)Dual OS - You can partition your hard drives to have a section from Windows and a section for Linux. When you turn your computer on it will give a timed delay before booting into your preferred default OS

3) Standalone OS - like on my netbook. I dumped windows 8.1 entirely because it was too laggy, filled with bugs and I got three viruses within a week. I installed antivirus software and it made the computer virtually unusable because it kept stalling (not enough processor power) If you go down this path, think carefully because if you rely on Windows say for certain games, Linux wont be able to do it.

I'm at the cat picture browsing end of the scale with my use, along with needing it for basic music, video and office software - all which Linux alternatives to windows products do with ease and the files can be transferred between the different OS and programs without any drama.
edit on 31-7-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

You can boot most Linux distros from almost any media. External HDDs that hook up to USB, USB pen drives, SD cards, CDs and DVDs, and of course you can partition your main HDD for the installation of a distro and still keep Windows and dual boot.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

You forgot Live USB on that list as well. There are two types of Live USB: persistent and non-persistent.

When you make a Live USB with persistence enabled, the thumb drive acts like a hard drive where you can update the OS and install apps and it will keep your settings. Just as it would on a hard drive.

Non-persistent will act just like a Live CD where no settings or app installs will be saved.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join