It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Will Only Have 12 Hours To Prepare For Massive Solar Storm

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Nothing.
What do you think the wavelength of a geomagnetic fluctuation is?

I am afraid you don't understand

I don't trust your facts that it would only affect long wires

You sound a lot like CNN and I don't trust CNN

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

See post above

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: justQ

I don't trust your facts that it would only affect long wires

Don't trust facts.
Good plan.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Cool, so you'll be able to provide sources of thousands of cars that wouldn't start after the Quebec storm, right?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Cool, so you'll be able to provide sources of thousands of cars that wouldn't start after the Quebec storm, right?

Quebec storm was something like 10 percent of cartington event
edit on 29-7-2015 by justQ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I work with Leica GPS equipment often. A year or so back we got hit with a solar storm that took out all of Leica's satellites.
We thought our GPS had just failed, so i called Leica and they told me what happened. It took a few days for them to get everything back online. Then they issued new firmware to fix the issues for all users.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Irrelevant.

The Quebec storm was strong enough to cause blackouts for 9 hours.

If cars could be affected, they would have been during this event.

They weren't. You're wrong.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

So, if it wasn't for Tesla, there would be no problem at all.

What a jerk!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I always appreciate reading what you have 2 say Mr. Phage, you are so well spoken and always seem very confide t in what you have 2 say, so tha m you fir always spreading your knowledge with all of us amigo. Oh boy if thjs ever does happen in my life time I will expect mass panic in my area i work close to LA and luckily live about 45 mins from it so if this ever does occur i will definitely skeedaddle back home an lock and load for safe neasures to: Phage

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I originally thought the OP was posting about a massive solar storm that was happening right now.

Jeez, thanks for scaring me.

If all it takes to prevent damage to the power grid is to shut it down until it's over, then I'm all for it. The question is, would the power companies be willing to do it?

As far as the government not warning us and keeping it a secret, it's hard for the government to cover up astronomical events when there are eyes other than the government's watching the skies.

Would unplugging my computer help with preventing any damage to it?
edit on 29-7-2015 by Junkheap because: Too many m's. Will use the extra m to buy m&m's.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Try suspicious observer, they have daily updates regarding geomagnetic storm, mass coronal ejections, etc.
It was a very active year and there were some massive events but they missed Earth.
The problem with a major geomagnetic storm with large surges in flux is that it could do the same thing and electromagnetic pulse weapon can do, except on a much larger scale. Even if it just knocked out all the satellites that in itself can likely lead to a complete collapse of technological civilizations. That one strong enough will happen at some point is certain, the only question is what is the frequency? It's really a matter of luck, the flare has to firing directly at Earth, which for any particular event is fairly low probability although we do get hit by small ones on a fairly regular basis.
a reply to: Kromlech

edit on 29-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

a reply to: 727Sky

I have heard that cars even turned off would have their electronics fried..
You heard wrong.

There have been attempts with legislation to harden our electric grid and C2C has been pushing for action but so far crickets.
The problem with that plan is cost/risk. It would cost a lot but the risk is very difficult to assess. That geomagnetic storm could happen next month or not for a hundred years.

I question if that would work out of my own ignorance ?
Very simply put, the problem is that a severe geomagnetic storm induces very low frequency voltage fluctuations in powerlines. So low in frequency that they are, essentially DC currents. DC currents wreak havoc with AC transformers. Turn the AC off and it's no big deal. Except for a lot of pissed off customers.

So, if it wasn't for Tesla, there would be no problem at all.

Haha Phage! Love the tesla jab...

Also enjoy your brain work on these topics, makes my job to research, much more lazy

@SOL ~ BRING IT

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Its interesting the government won't spend the money necessary to protect our grid from such a event but they are spending untold amounts of money to reopen NORAD because of possible EMP attack, sure makes you wonder??
edit on 29-7-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Does anyone know of what the effects would be on a off grid solar set up? Will it take out my battery bank?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: mosesone
Does anyone know of what the effects would be on a off grid solar set up? Will it take out my battery bank?

If a solar storm was powerful enough, then there could be 'lightning' strikes of much greater energy and much higher in number, so if your solar panel got hit, it and the batteries would be toast, but with a storm of that magnitude, you'd probably be toast too, so nothing to worry about.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: mosesone

Your battery banks would be fine. The main problem with CME is the ground induced current at a low frequency which propagates in transformers. Nearly DC current in an AC transformer causes smoking issues that is bad for the transformers health.

If you were grid tied at some point you would be vulnerable to line transients, if you were improperly grounded you could possibly blow out your inverter or charge circuit from a possibly ground transient depending on the severity of the storm, and your location(further north, more chance).

CME's and EMP's are not the same thing, but a lot of times people get the two confused thinking they are.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tnhiker

One being a force of nature and the other a weapon. I suppose another significant point is that any CME that comes our way has to contend with the Earths magnetosphere which offers us a modicum of protection as opposed to an EMP which would most lightly occur inside our magnetosphere.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Correct. Plus the CME has to hit at the correct angle, etc to be effective or severe. Traditionally EMP's were a side affect of nukes, but supposedly there are ways to do it without a nuke. It's not something I have looked into as much, other than how to harden the grid against it. I saw something about a $400 gun that does the same, but is targeted to specific areas. As in cars, transformers, control panels, etc.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Yes, I'm sorry but this is pretty much just click-bait, bombastic storytelling.

The only issue we currently have is informing businesses and the public effectively, this comes down to putting an alert system in place and educating the public over how to prepare and what to expect.

All we need to do is shut down through an event like this, for a specific period of time. That requires preparation, but it's really not so different to any normal inconvenience a homeowner or business might experience on rare occasions.

Whether the government is prepared for it is the issue. Rightly, there are people asking that question and demanding a response to meet expected requirements.

It'll be interesting when it happens, and I can guarantee most people will not be at all prepared for it either. But that's really no different to people living in a very geologically active area and yet refusing to have a bug out bag ready for when it hits - there's only so much any government can do to inform and encourage their population to be prepared, if people refuse to take responsibility for themselves there's not much society can do other than try to assist when needed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join