It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Channel Tunnel: '2,000 migrants' tried to enter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Some 2,000 migrants tried to enter the Channel Tunnel terminal in Calais on Monday night in an attempt to reach the UK, operator Eurotunnel has said.

A number of people were injured, a spokesman for Eurotunnel said, without elaborating.
Eurotunnel is facing a daily struggle with migrants who attempt to smuggle themselves into Britain, sometimes with fatal consequences.

The latest incident caused serious delays to Eurotunnel train services.
Passengers were held up for about an hour on the British side and 30 minutes on the French side on Tuesday, French news agency AFP reported.

Meanwhile, the UK has agreed to provide an extra £7m ($10.9m) towards efforts to step up security at the Channel Tunnel railhead in Calais, Home Secretary Theresa

Channel Tunnel: '2,000 migrants' tried to enter

This is a problem that is going from bad to worse. Coupled with French strikes, this is causing misery for travellers and freight between the UK and the Continent.

There are now calls to deploy the Army to provide security at the Terminal in Calais to prevent the migrants from trying to storm it again.

Several migrants have also turned up dead after being found on the carriage roofs of the trains, apparently having jumped onto the moving vehicle as it sped by at 90mph.

Following Monday nights attempt, hundreds more tried again last night:

Hundreds try again on Tuesday night

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
desperate people trying to find somewhere to live.

has to be pretty terrible if you are willing to risk jumping on a 90 mph moving train.

I feel sorry for them.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: thegoatboy
desperate people trying to find somewhere to live.

has to be pretty terrible if you are willing to risk jumping on a 90 mph moving train.

I feel sorry for them.

Most of them are economic migrants from sub-saharan Africa, not people fleeing persecution or War. I believe genuine refugees should be looked after, but that is only a small section of the people trying to get into the UK. They have paid many thousands of pounds to get trafficked, some paying well over £10k in total, so they weren't that hard done by - they have more cash than most normal folk in the UK!

I also think that the EU's policy of rescuing migrants from the Med isn't helping. By all means, rescue them, but take them back to Libya, not drop them off in Italy. All this does is embolden the traffickers as they know they only have to get them 40 miles off the Libyan coast and the Navy will take care of the rest, doing most of the job for them and removing any responsibility for the migrants from the people smugglers.
edit on 29/7/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason
And if these people are allowed to enter the UK the UK just becomes the 'enablers' for the people traffickers.

It used to be that people knew what an 'invasion' was.

In the past if people tried to invade a country the army would be called out to stop the invasion.

Nowadays politicians act dumbfounded, impotent and confused. One can but wonder 'why'?

Refugees have always come to the UK but on this occassion we're not talking about refugees...........we're talking about the majority of young, healthy males deciding to move to a country that does not need their 'services'. Why would so many young men want to come to one country that is fast breaking under the intrusion?

Why has the army not been called out to stop the invasion? Why has the channel tunnel not been closed and Calais avoided by serious travellers and traders? Why does Calais' authorities permit such chaose with no consequences?

So many questions and only troubling possibilities for answers.

edit on 29-7-2015 by Elliot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Elliot

I wouldn't go so far as to call it an "invasion" - let's keep things in perspective - but it is an issue that you rightly point out is being fumbled by the Governments of the UK, France and the EU at large.

I do wonder what more the UK Government can do - this is quite clearly an issue that France has to deal with but they are not taking action as they themselves are quite happy to see the migrants move on rather than stay. They have come under fire for not only failing to deal with the migrant problem in Calais effectively, but also not dealing with the strikers properly either who are blockaded the ports and setting fire to tyres on the tracks.

I'm not sure travellers and freight can avoid Calais properly - it is the shortest route to the continent. Going via any other route adds hours and hours to your journey, which costs businesses money. The Dover-Calais link is vital, so this should be given the highest priority by the UK and French Governments.

The ironic thing is, the benefits are more generous in France, the main driving force for the people wanting to come to the UK is the language.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: thegoatboy
'Desperate' people? They all appear well dressed, up to the minute phones (I certainly don't have one), young, healthy and in a country that will 'take care of them' but not necessarily give them the type of 'benefits' they believe are available in the UK.

I do feel concerned however that so many young men are trying to get into the country with no wives, girlfriends, mothers, sisters, etc. People invading somewhere....the majority being men, is usually called something else even if they are not wearing uniforms to identify themselves.

The impotence of the UK government and the EU generally is indicative of something else taking place for what purpose?

I well remember travelling into Eastern Europe in the 1970's. The fences were electrified and had cameras even then. ALL along the border crossings were heavily armed soldiers and everyone was a suspect. It made sense. why would you allow just anyone into your country?

To see Calais reminds me of utter chaos and makes me wonder why it is permitted.

I know if I behaved like that I would be locked up hence why the double standards?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
What number from 1 to infinity would you consider indicates 'invasion'?

Perhaps a different word, 'intursion', 'incursion', wandering into willy nilly, would be more appropriate?

If you and I can't behave like that without consequences.........why can they?

Believe me, I am a child of refugees and migrants and understand that is why I wonder......why is this behaviour allowed?

How come some people can behave in a criminal manner and escape consequences and an old lady down the round can't afford her council tax and goes to prison?

Do you understand what I mean?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Economic refugee's with over $20,000 AU to spare. I'd hate to say it mate, but I have to call BS. I think your anti-refugee Murdoch media sources are taking you for a ride with those claims & over inflated figures.

These people come from extremely dangerous parts of the world, its not that far fetched to believe there lives may be in fact in danger. btw, having a few grand to spare for travel from selling all your earthly possessions, doesn't indicate the persons life isn't in danger.

lol, 2 thousand people though. Dumb arse Australians have full blown irrational panic attacks when a boat carrying 40 people tries to reach our borders.
edit on 29-7-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The French need to take control.

These are illegal migrants. France needs to round them up and deport them from whence they came. I cannot imagine it's fun living in Calais with thousands of young men trashing the place and crapping in the park.

This is a harsh view, but the UK does not want more uneducated young men who have no grasp of British culture and will end up being a burden on the state.

Time from France to take control and take action. Otherwise, it'll just get worse. How many migrants do they want in Calais before they take action? 10,000? 100,000?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Sorry, you can bleat on about "murdoch controlled media" all you like, but the real BS is that these people come from "extremely dangerous" parts of the world -

From the UN, here is a break down of the places these people come from (based on asylum applications from people who make it to the UK)

Pakistan (3,343)
Iran (2,417)
Sri Lanka (1,808)
Syria (1,669)
Eritrea (1,377)
Albania (1,326)
Bangladesh (1,123)
Afghanistan (1,040)
India (965)
Nigeria (915)

So, aside from Syria (and possibly Afghanistan) the majority come from perfectly "safe" countries and they are simply trying to move for economic reasons.

I could turn the "murdoch press" comment around on you and say the same regarding the loony-left, who'd have you believe we owe everyone in the world a living.

EDIT: And for those who are genuine refugees, they are supposed to claim asylum in the first safe country - not travel across an entire continent to get to one they like the look of.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
The French need to take control.

These are illegal migrants. France needs to round them up and deport them from whence they came. I cannot imagine it's fun living in Calais with thousands of young men trashing the place and crapping in the park.

This is a harsh view, but the UK does not want more uneducated young men who have no grasp of British culture and will end up being a burden on the state.

Quite...

originally posted by: paraphi
Time from France to take control and take action. Otherwise, it'll just get worse. How many migrants do they want in Calais before they take action? 10,000? 100,000?

With the influx of migrants rescued from the Med, who will worm their way through Europe over the Summer, the problem at Calais will only get worse. Only a few months ago, the figures at Calais were around 1,500 migrants and it has doubled so far. I can honestly see it getting to the 10,000 mark eventually.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   

My thoughts are with the drivers having to deal with this on a daily basis , my disdain to the government who seem unable to get a grip on this situation and believe paying for a fence to be erected is suitable action , if the French won't deploy their troops to police the tunnel then we should to secure our border and protect our drivers.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
If i had £10,000 i wouldn't pay a smuggling syndicate to get me into the UK, I would choose the "sensible" option and simply book a Holiday here. £2K from anywhere in the world will get you into this country.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Just a question only and with respect. Why go all the way to England and not France? Spain? Belguim? Netherlands? Portugal even?

What is it about England and the chunnel?

Kindly asking without malice,

Bally

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001
Just a question only and with respect. Why go all the way to England and not France? Spain? Belguim? Netherlands? Portugal even?

Bally

They come here for the Weather.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Good one Han, but no, seriously there is a problem with the reason people travel through so many other countries to get to a particular destination. Perhaps there may be a perception change in order.

Kind regards,

Bally
edit on 29-7-2015 by bally001 because: spellin mistook

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

And for those who are genuine refugees, they are supposed to claim asylum in the first safe country - not travel across an entire continent to get to one they like the look of.

Oh, so what your saying is it should be everyone else who bares the burden, just not you? lol.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Indeed - I'm with you on that. And not just truckers, but holiday makers, families etc. It's only a matter of time before they try to get into people's caravans, cars etc.

Good point...

Bally

It's mainly the language - most of them speak English, whereas most do not speak French, German etc. Family ties also have a part to play.

And, as Solo said, the Weather.. It's just awesome...

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

And for those who are genuine refugees, they are supposed to claim asylum in the first safe country - not travel across an entire continent to get to one they like the look of.

Oh, so what your saying is it should be everyone else who bares the burden, just not you? lol.

When did I say that? Those are the Internationally agreed rules for refugees.

Seeing as the UK public and Government are amongst the most charitable in the World, we do "bare the burden". We provide funding for disaster relief, refugee aid etc. However, that doesn't mean we have to let them live here. We're crowded enough as it is with problems of our own.

EDIT: The irony of being criticised for my countries migrant policy (or my own views) by an Australian is not lost on me. A country that sticks all illegal migrants in concentration camps for years, with no hope of ever getting into a country that is the most sparsely populated on the planet.

People in glass houses and all that....

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: gortex

Indeed - I'm with you on that. And not just truckers, but holiday makers, families etc. It's only a matter of time before they try to get into people's caravans, cars etc.

Good point...

Bally

It's mainly the language - most of them speak English, whereas most do not speak French, German etc. Family ties also have a part to play.

And, as Solo said, the Weather.. It's just awesome...

Crikey mate,

Words of wisdom. I will pass these onto the PM here, I'm sure Tony will come up with a strategy to nullify the excuses of future boaties. I may suggest that refugees undertake an English test. Example.

Q/1. What are flamin "Budgie smugglers" mate?

Kind regards,

Bally

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join