It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquid Flouride Thorium Reactor in 5 minutes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I just watched 2 hours of a Thorium documentary and needed to post it up. But sadly, no one has time for 2 hours and the message won't get through. So here it is in 5 minutes. Thorium! the solution to the global energy crisis. There's just one draw back I'm afraid. You can't make weapons out of it. /sarc

eta: Oh yeah btw, China? Well they're going all in on Thorium reactors with the technology stolen from the United States which is already 45 years old. Yes, US did all the work figuring this stuff out but shelved it in favor of Uranium. Now China is leading the way.
blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

If you want to watch the full doc...
www.youtube.com...
edit on 28-7-2015 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Even though this stuff was way over my head it was very entertaining. Did you cut that down to 5 min. yourself? If so, great work. Either way, thanks for sharing.
edit on 28-7-2015 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RealTruthSeeker

take a look at the OP again. Edit to show link for full documentary. This guy makes the entire 2 hours entertaining and very easy to understand

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Here is a link with in depth details on thorium and its properties and viability.

www.world-nuclear.org...

Apparently, it's slightly more difficult to manage than conventional nuclear methods, but still worth investigating. Because seriously, we do need an energy resolution. Don't wait til it's too late.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
Here is a link with in depth details on thorium and its properties and viability.

www.world-nuclear.org...

Apparently, it's slightly more difficult to manage than conventional nuclear methods, but still worth investigating. Because seriously, we do need an energy resolution. Don't wait til it's too late.

Everything has it's learning curves. One of the main reasons why US didn't fly with it when it was introduced to them post ww2 was because they already understood uranium and they already had the facilities to do what they needed to do. A LFTR's design is a whole new concept. Actually, I take back my concern for China stealing the technology. They really really need it to combat their smog. From one of my links

Mr Jiang visited the Oak Ridge labs and obtained the designs – entirely legitimately – after reading an article in the American Scientist extolling thorium. His team concluded that a molten salt reactor may be the answer China’s prayers. It is playing out just as he hoped.

The Chinese are currently building 28 standard reactors – by far the biggest nuclear push in the world – and working on several research and development fronts at once. This is to break what it calls a “scary” dependence on imported fuel, but also to fight pollution.

Ironically, I believe, China one of the most polluted countries will be the next king of energy and combat that smog problem

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I clicked on the thread thinking I could make one in five minutes lol
Wow I just don't understand why this wasn't used in power plants from the get go? what idiot decided against it?.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Ted Talks - Thorium

Related Ted Talk

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

shiz, is this a pop quiz question? I should know the answer to that cause I just watched the documentary.

Basically, politics got in the way. again

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Foundryman

No arguing. The guy really knows his stuff

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

You can inject weapons grade material into the fuel cycle too!

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

yes, the full 2 hours gets into a lot! Just scratching the surface of implications. All those barrels of spent waste buried since the 70's? Can be reused too. As well, the isotopes needed to fight cancer can be created. Many uses

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Gonna go watch. I'm intrigued

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If thorium ends up being the answer to AGW worries in the next 40 years, we'll look stupid if we're relying on solar and wind or something. And if China spearheads it, it'll be like communism won this battle.

In end, no one has hte answer yet. Smart people and good government and grass roots movements seem to be the most universal answer. I don't think "good government" means communism. In fact, China--as well as hte rest of the world--has the US to thank for a lot of things. It's not like anybody exists in isolation. Maybe it's good to have a little of everything.
edit on 28-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
We've got LOADS of Thorium here in OZ. They used to mine it for use in mantles for gas lanterns.

Toni Rabbit should be investing in this big time to put AUSTRALIA at the forefront of this technology. We got the raw materials, we've got massive unpopulated areas and like all countries we need to move away from fossil fuels.

Here is a useable and available idea that is safe as nuclear fission can get.

Let's get on it Australia

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

how do we make a lot of noise about this? There hasn't been nuclear innovation since the 70's

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
a reply to: jonnywhite

how do we make a lot of noise about this? There hasn't been nuclear innovation since the 70's

It's nothing new, we have known about it for a long time.

Originally, the megawatt output was deemed insufficient and the liquid and gaseous fuel cycles are challenging.

It also produces weapons grade material as part of the fuel cycle so I am sure that it is a regulatory nightmare. I always liked the idea of self contained reactors that can be delivered and buried in every town. Let them recycle like a battery and replace it every 30 years or so. If it can be made safe and cheap enough, it could buy us enough time to get helium 3 or some other aneutronic fusion up and running.
edit on 28-7-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The best way to get others into it is to make one for a planned community where there are housing, commercial center, theater and small industry.

Use the whole as an example to the world it does work.

this would be a great project for Trump.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

ugh you had to say Trump. But you're right and he absolutely hates wind generators. A massive project as per the full length video, would cost in the billions however. But clearly the end result is worth all that more. I wonder how much money would be needed to raise to build a small one?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

So now let's find a way to get trump to campaign about getting this tech going? Could be an interesting new statement but what would be the reaction?
This is saying we've been sitting on simple thorium waisting our time mining rare uranium. AND we knew about it.

If anything, hopefully it comes to light through China somehow.
edit on 28-7-2015 by iFloButta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: iFloButta

Ah China again, a main player and the first nation to attempt to lead the new energy race. Because that's exactly what's going to happen I think. China is going to be the first nation to become energy independent which will leave the rest of the countries scrambling to make up time. In fact, I can't really see selling hydrocarbons being lucrative anymore once the first LFTR reactor is up.

How about Branson instead of Trump? I would never want someone like Trump to be in charge of a country's energy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join