It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cincinnati preparing for riots after viewing bodycam footage of fatal UC traffic stop

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

From what I saw there was no doubt that the officer was at the drivers side window, the victim tries to exit the vehicle as instructed by the officer, the officer seems to prevent him from exiting the car and then shoots him.

This seems pretty cut and dry to me.

I'm going to play Devils Advocate for a second here and say that the video does not show him trying to get out of the vehicle, he actually presses the car door lock down when the officer tells him to get out. At the same time as pressing the door lock down with his left hand he starts the engine with his right hand.

That's not to say the shooting was justified, not in the slightest - but lets keep facts straight here, no point going off into fantasy-land when the facts themselves still indict and condemn the police officer. The officer was not in any danger, the car was not moving, just started and nothing justifies the shooting death in this instance.

edit on 29/7/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

It's been shown live, in most part. They did turn away expecting sensitive imagery but I've just seen it again in full. From what I saw there was no doubt that the officer was at the drivers side window, the victim tries to exit the vehicle as instructed by the officer, the officer seems to prevent him from exiting the car and then shoots him.

This seems pretty cut and dry to me.

I'm going to play Devils Advocate for a second here and say that the video does not show him trying to get out of the vehicle, he actually presses the car door lock down when the officer tells him to get out. At the same time as pressing the door lock down with his left hand he starts the engine with his right hand.

That's not to say the shooting was justified, not in the slightest - but lets keep facts straight here, no point going off into fantasy-land when the facts themselves still indict and condemn the police officer. The officer was not in any danger, the car was not moving, just started and nothing justifies the shooting death in this instance.

You're right, I was mistaken. I thought he was getting out of the vehicle as instructed, but it appears he did intend to leave and had started the engine.

I wasn't intentionally attempting to change the story (it would make no difference) I merely misunderstood what was shown on the live broadcast from the news conference.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
From viewing the video, I believe that the officer was lying about being dragged by the vehicle.

And it also seems that at least one other officer then lied in his statement about witnessing the dragging too.

Hopefully this case will now highlight that aspect too, that officers are willing to lie about the actions of their colleagues rather than see justice.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

And it also seems that at least one other officer then lied in his statement about witnessing the dragging too.

Well, SURELY they'll charge that one with felony perjury, right? Right?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I personally hope that other officer at least sees some discipline for his lying.

At the very least, firing. At most, criminal charges of perjury.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: Rocker2013

I personally hope that other officer at least sees some discipline for his lying.

At the very least, firing. At most, criminal charges of perjury.

Lying to support a fellow cop, is the rule. They may say different but, look at what happens to the ones that lie vs the ones that step up or tell the truth.

It is part of the system. Like what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Or what happens behind closed doors, stays behind closed doors.

Too much is hidden, not spoken of, and forgiven, for the sake of face. It is too bad that we put more value on image, than we do on truth and lives.

It is a horrible system.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Sounds like the officer is getting charged with murder. The trouble in this case will be getting a guilty verdict from the jury.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Have you seen the video? If it even GOES to jury (The Officer may try to get a plea deal) it'll be a slam-dunk.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Have you seen the video? If it even GOES to jury (The Officer may try to get a plea deal) it'll be a slam-dunk.

Not necessarily--in the officer's (and his partner's) statements, it shows says that he was dragged by the car and knocked to the ground, and Tensing says that he thought the guy was trying to run over him (I believe that can be heard in the video).

The burden that now lies with the prosecution is to prove to the prospective jury that Tensing did not truly fear for his life as Dubose started his car and took off while Tensing had part of his body in the vehicle. That's going to be a relatively tough thing to do, because on top of that, Dubose was acting quite oddly during the stop, at least for the first part of it, which would already put Tensing on edge.

With all of that said, I feel like I have to reiterate this in every post now, lest someone call be a Tensing apologist: I think Tensing had zero reason to draw his service weapon and fire at Dubose. I do not think the killing is justifiable. I only say what I did because that is the reality that the prosecution faces, and it's not as slam-dunk as most non-justice-system people think.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

From the body-cam video I saw I don't think Tensing was knocked to the ground, and I didn't see parts of his body in the vehicle when Dubose took off. I only saw the video twice, though, so I could be wrong.

I don't think it'll be hard for the prosecution to prove malicious intent here. The defense will have a harder time, I think, than the prosecution.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Murder.

Plain and simple.

You call it in, suspect fleeing, call for back up, name the area your in and heading towards, stingers are layed out, suspect is cornered, worst comes to the worst he flees on foot, crime scene left behind...

What you don't do is shoot someone point blank range, and hopefully a judge and jury understand that or this is the precedent set for carte blanche for executions.

All, let's not forget, over a crime that was never committed in the first place.

Guilty.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Brutal and heartbreaking. How does one human so easily slaughter another like that?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I think he had zero reason to reach into the man's car which is what created his situation.

I get the point that he didn't want to be dragged with the car, but think him pulling his arm out would make more sense then shooting the guy.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

There have been too many of these cases lately with video evidence but a failure to convict and/or prosecute. I'm hopeful because a grand jury saw fit to charge him but a trial jury is a whole different ballgame.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

He won't get murder, think he will get voluntary manslaughter at the most.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Other cases have not (in my opinion) been so cut and dry as this one.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I imagine if he negotiates a plea deal it will be Voluntary Manslaughter. If it goes to Trial, it'll be 2nd Degree Murder.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Have half of you even seen the REAL FULL length video yet??

Here it is guys

ohio cop shoots unarmed black man in car full video

edit on 29-7-2015 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I thought the Eric Garner case was pretty evident of police brutality yet the only person indicted in his death was the person that filmed the video.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join