It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopped by a cop? Act like an ass. After all, it's your "right".

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman
a reply to: network dude

What hypocrisy ? I was using your example. A cop who is polite and not throwing their weight about would get treat with respect, your example used a citizen stating they paid the officers wages, and that they had a right to remain silent, as a valid reason for said officer to 'not treat them nicely'.

The Hypocrisy of when you say "respect is earned", yet act as if you plan to offer none to the LEO. Respect IS earned. My point in three words. You offer respect to the officer, and in turn, (it's it likely) that he shows some back. he may not. he may be one of those assholes we spoke of earlier. But you won't know that until you take the first step and BE NICE.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I feel lucky to live where I do, I have been stopped many times by our Deputies and local Cops. Every time they acted courteous with one exception. I got lit up for doing about 25 over in rush hour traffic and took my time puling over he was a little angry at first, but quickly calmed down after he realized I wasn't trying to run from him. In fact I was just pulled over the other day for a broken tail light, the officer was in a good mood was acting pleasant and let me go without a ticket. I wished I had a recording to upload for you guys. That being said I know there are bad cops I have no delusions about that, two or three of our deputies got fired and had charges brought against them for beating info out of someone.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Personally speaking, I have always been kind and courteous to law enforcement in routine stops and my actions have been reciprocated. Even in my early teen years when I was always getting in trouble, I was kind and courteous. After all, they are only doing their job and its nothing personal-just comes with the territory. I was pulled over for speeding in upstate N.Y about two months ago and the exchange went as smooth as possible; he let me off with a warning and even engaged in small car talk. Really KEWL state trooper!

I have a few experiences in the States with officers due to traffic stops where I was very kind and cooperative but the air of trouble still remained. For instance; the time my friends and I were pulled over for NO REASON in Michigan; ordered out of the vehicle to the side of the road; searched; and forced to wait a half hour for the K-9 unit to show up to search the vehicle for banned substances to which nothing was found. Despite our cooperation among the inconvenience of being stopped for no apparent reason other than the fact U.S customs at the Windsor/Detroit border called us in (the trooper admitted that was the reason we were targeted when we asked what all this hassle was for) they were still acting like smug prickly pears.

Then there was the time we pulled into a small town convenience store and rest stop along the highway in Dakota to use the restroom and buy some snacks. The lady at the counter must not of been used to the mixture of friends of all walks of life and colour travelling together. Upon exiting the store, three cruisers pulled up, all officers exited their vehicle, hands on hip. One approached my buddy, the rest of us just froze, and asked, "What are you boys up too?" in a strict tone. My friend explained that we are from Toronto and travelling to Seattle and stopped to use the restroom and buy some goods for our journey. They asked us all for our identification to which we complied. After a few minutes of conversing with the other officers, he comes back, hands us our ID and says, "Get the heck out of here!".

Now....if I LIVED there....I would of had an attitude...due to the fact I am very confident in my ability to "walk anybody down" intellectually....especially an officer. But because we were out of our elements, we had to "eat it".

Now...imagine this sth happening on a constant basis to those who live there. One can surely appreciate that these interactions do foster a culture of resentment over time where a routine stop is not always a "routine stop". Combine that with knowing you are being STIFFED and still being courteous to only have them "smirk" at the realization you are very much AWARE of the true intent of this interaction. It sure does breed animosity no doubt because NOBODY likes being STIFFED. I was travelling with two black friends....in both these situations.

And amazingly enough, when you act like an ass to a cop, .......he becomes a dick. Just....like.....magic.

That works both ways: And amazingly enough, when a cop acts like an ass, .......the person in question becomes a dick. Just....like.....magic.

...just like what happened in the Sandra Bland case. She passed him going the other direction; he made a U-turn; sped up to her bumper (tailgated); she assumed he wanted to pass so quickly moved into the right lane; he pulled her over for not signalling; she explained why; and then he continued to "egg her on". Any officer with a heart would of understood the merits of that situation; but he damn well knew what his intention was all along - to STIFF her. Sandra Bland had an attitude, but it was justified. There are plenty of asshole cops like State trooper T.Encianda in the states. There are plenty who are not like him at all....

I mention this because it is not as simple as you make it out to be. There is much F-ckery in this world and adults who act like dicks out of hate, especially cops, need to have their ass handed to them and made accountable for their actions.

But remember, that cop is just as human as you,and has the same freedom of choice in how he deals with you.

NO, they do NOT have the same freedom of choice in how THEY choose to deal with you, and its ignorant views such as that is why American policing and society is damned to hell.

Smarten up!
edit on 28-7-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
In my state, almost all traffic violations can be a cause for arrest. I suppose that is the trump card officers have on a driver.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: SlapMonkey
It is good to remember not to say too much though. Respectful speech including 'sir', 'Maam', 'Officer', Trooper when you address them is a nice touch.
But keep your answers short, using just the words yes or no when possible.

I was going to reply to the dumbass "boot licking" comments then realized the mentality behind the post and recanted.

This is good advise. My daughter was learning to drive, and was driving home from the beach on a Sunday evening. A cop stopped her (my wife was in the seat beside her) and asked if she knew why he pulled her over. She got nervous and said " because I was speeding?", he said, no, your tail lights weren't on. She was driving a car with daytime running lights and hadn't switched on the driving lights. Cop was very nice and they went on their way with nobody being shot, raped, or beheaded. But I tried to explain to her that when you are asked that, the best answer is, "no sir" with a smile. He will tell you why he stopped you.

I seriously made this thread because I saw some posters claiming they were teaching their kids not to talk to cops. I don't think anyone should have to be degraded, or abused, but that cop is just a person, like the rest of us. Some are on a power trip, some were the kid with his head in the toilet in Jr. High and now have an axe to grind. But most are just normal people doing a job that most wouldn't do.

Perhaps I have a poor outlook on all this because I know too many good cops. I only know a few bad ones.

I suppose promoting politeness is a bad idea.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

It's funny, in your stories about cops detaining you, they were alerted to something about you from a third party. Both times. Think about that for a moment. they are approaching you with the idea that something isn't kosher, which is why they were called. Now after the small talk and identification, all was fine. Why? it sounds like becasue you were polite. Amazing how that worked.

And yes, no matter the law, the way you think a cop should behave, or how they are trained, he is human, and has the same faults, likes, dislikes, and personality quirks and anyone else. he is "supposed" to be professional. Most are. Some aren't. My advice has been and will continue to be, show respect, and get your encounter over quickly. Arguing is for court.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
One of my all-time faves...

I was about to post that one, then I saw yours.
This cop deserved a cold beer after a day like that. He was OVERLY polite and didn't' even write the guy a ticket for littering, which might have caused his head to explode.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
You have no rights if you have a bad attitude, so we should just start imprisoning unhappy people! America land of the not so free. American police state F### yeah!
edit on 28-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I suppose promoting politeness is a bad idea.

No sir, it is not. Lack of it is part of what is negatively affecting our society. i believe in saving my poorer words for people who deserve it based on their actions toward others.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

We live in a tyranny .

Study the tactics of the "Sons of Liberty"

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: R0CR13

Sitting around at the Green Dragon in Boston, having pints?

I think I could be down with that.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I'm feeling a little thirsty ..

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
You have no rights if you have a bad attitude, so we should just start imprisoning unhappy people! America land of the not so free. American police state F### yeah!

LOL, you have the same rights as anyone else. But, you acting like a jerk will likely promote the same response from others. Be it a cop giving you back your piss poor attitude, or the waiter who wiped your burger bun on the toilet seat and floor before he brings you your order. F### yeah!
edit on 28-7-2015 by network dude because: augustusmasonicus drinks skunky beer, but he's nice to cops.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

LOL, you have the same rights as anyone else. But, you acting like a jerk will likely promote the same response from others. Be it a cop giving you back your piss poor attitude, or the waiter who wiped your burger bun on the toilet seat and floor before he brings you your order. F### yeah!

Cop dont like your attitude you go to jail, lol land of the free my arse! Lets not forget anyone can be executed at any time, because the officer feels thretened when you try to show your lisence for a seatbelt violation.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
So I try to take a level-headed approach to the modern world. If I don't care and a cop would, duck them best can be. If I done something wrong and know it, fess up. If I gotta go in front of a cop, give them the benefit of the doubt, and don't even think about recording nothing. Not worth that risk. I mean if I'm going to be chatting with the officer, doesn't matter what my state of mind is deep down, or a moment ago, I'm putting on a friendly act and doing my best to get through the next few minutes without being behind bars. That's the reality of the situation in my book. People want to take risks with cameras or whatever else, go to it, but besides doing what you feel is going to protect you (i think otherwise), give this man some respect until he gives you reason to take that respect for him away. I just happen to not be able to sleep well without absolute silence and darkness, so going to jail is asking to go insane. Do what you gotta do.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Evil_Santa

When someone says to an officer, "I don't want to talk to you" and then the officer is trained not to respect that by fishing for more information, or flexes their power by any number of ways that are taught to officers: probable cause, obstruction of justice, resisting arrest... We've all seen the videos.

How, and why would you expect the general public to respect officers now? New blue are being taught to not respect a person's rights by abusing laws to incriminate as many people as possible, as arrests and asset seizures lead to promotions.

Is it painful to be nice? Seriously, does it hurt?

Change needs to happen, no doubt about that. But with the attitudes I see here, it's going to change in the wrong direction.

As was the intent of the thread, you have the right to be mean, but being nice usually yields better results.(and to my knowledge, doesn't cost any extra)

Sounds touchy feely awesome, in application, it is intentionally violating people's rights.

And when they stand up for themselves, it is automatically red flags?

This officer is violating their rights, and resistance to this equals automatic scrutiny?

So because an American does not just give up all their rights, they must be guilty.

This is the base level of the problem.

Americans don't have to by law explain themselves, they don't to by law submit, they don't have to by law be pleader.

It is the Leo that has sworn to not only protect, but guarantee these rights.

Yet they violate them every day, thousands of times, and you defend these actions?

Plz.....

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Next comes the end of the laws and we just have judge dredds driving around saying they are the law.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You reap what you sow. Act like an ass and be treated like one.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

Um, by law, you know, the one you swore to uphold, he doesn't have to answer any questions ever period, you know, the 5th amendment, the right to remain silent.

Don't like it, don't have the mentality to handle this, don't be a cop.

Just do your job the right way, no probably at all.

Very true. However, I think that in these interactions--as in all interactions--common courtesy or keeping quiet (at the very least) does one much better than being abusive and angry.

Just calmly exercise your rights, no need to lose control.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Cop dont like your attitude you go to jail, lol land of the free my arse! Lets not forget anyone can be executed at any time, because the officer feels thretened when you try to show your lisence for a seatbelt violation.

Your video is a perfect example of a bad cop. Probably poorly trained, scared to death, and had a loaded gun. A bad combination. Are there more like this? sure are. The nice people here at ATS even made a forum for it all. But, are you claiming that every officer in ever state is like this? No, you wouldn't be that ignorant, and it's an ignorant suggestion. So by that logic, I think it's safe to say that there are a few good cops out there. Should you just assume the one stopping you is a bad cop and treat him like crap? Well, if you do, I am quite sure he will fit right into the bad cop box. But, if you take the inordinate amount of time required to comprehend my extensively difficult to grasp OP, and you decide to give the officer the benefit of the doubt and be polite with him, he might turn out to not be a bad guy.

But please spin what I said into a boot licking comment or something equally as stupid.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join