It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't expect to see a police officer if you're burgled says head of National Police Chiefs(England)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Tough luck basically.

She said it "could be" that if an iPad was stolen from a home an officer would not come round to investigate.

But if someone has broken into my home it's about more than what they took ....isn't it ? , if I pay my taxes to pay their wages don't I have the right to expect my call for help to be answered and investigated ?

There had to be a "conversation with the public" over priorities, she added.

I think the public want you to investigate crimes committed against them regardless of the financial loss.

"We need to move from reacting to some of those traditional crimes to think about focusing on threat and harm and risk and protecting the public.

No , you need to do your job , investigate crime

"If we're really serious about putting a lot of effort into protecting children, for example, it might mean if you've had a burglary, for example, and the burglar has fled, we won't get there as quickly as we have in the past.

If at all ?

"But think of the threat to our children from sexual offences, from sexual abuse, from online abuse, that's what we've got to prioritise," she added.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Isn't that what the National Crime Agency were set up for.

So there we are , another fine example of the deterioration of this once great country thanks largely to incompetent and inept governance.
We can afford foreign aid , foreign wars and and all the other rubbish taxes are spent on but if you get burgled we can't afford to send a copper round to investigate and help put you mind at ease.

edit on 28-7-2015 by gortex because: edit to add link

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
LINK

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
My apologies I thought this was from out here not the UK, please delete what I posted was irrelevant.
edit on 28-7-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

As my Tai Chi (Also Kung Fu professor) said, the police aren't there to protect you from crime, they are only interested on the aftermath of crime. It is up to you to defend yourself.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

But this is about the aftermath of crime , seems from the words of the head of National Police Chiefs that the police will decide whether a crime is worth their time to attend so it seems they may not even be interested in the aftermath .... unless you're rich and had some of your shiny nicked of course.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal tbh, there's not much the police can do to stop a robbery unless they are there when it's happening. The police have had quite big cuts to their budget, so this is austerity policing, they have to prioritise now like everyone else.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

But if someone has broken into my home it's about more than what they took ....isn't it ? , if I pay my taxes to pay their wages don't I have the right to expect my call for help to be answered and investigated ?

Yeah, my first reaction to this story was, so what? People in the US can easily purchase a gun and a lot of state's have stand your ground laws. So why not just take care of your own self, then stay as far away from those incompetent jacks as you can?

But.... now I see this story is from the UK. So I guess I'm speechless.

I'm all for common sense gun regulations. But the police should either get there stuff together and do the job they were employed to do... Or just waste all our time by running around handing out parking fines, then let the people look after themselves.

edit on 28-7-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Just tell the dispatcher that you tried to shoot the perp, but your Uzi tends to jam when it's on full auto so you're not sure if you hit them.

You'll have a police response in no time.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

Just tell the dispatcher that you tried to shoot the perp, but your Uzi tends to jam when it's on full auto so you're not sure if you hit them.

You'll have a police response in no time.

lol

I was going to say it's about time they stopped burgling.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
No police you say, well in that case any burglar will be kissing the business end of my steel baseball bat.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace
No police you say, well in that case any burglar will be kissing the business end of my steel baseball bat.

A good maglite is all you need, you can shine it in the eye's of a home in invader and blind them. Then you can knock them out cold with it, and it will still work perfectly.

Who even needs a gun... When all you need is a quality well made American maglite, lol.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yep, maglite lives on my bedside table, excellent piece of kit.

Regarding police and burglary, if I came home and found I'd been robbed I would only phone the law for a crime reference number so I could make my claim on the insurance. I wouldn't for a minute expect them to catch the thieves.

I stabbed a burglar many years ago, I phoned 999 asking for ambulance first so the guy could get medical help. The police came of course but nothing happened to me. The cops said they knew him as a repeat offender and they reckon the knife through the shoulder was the best lesson he could have.
They even teased him with lines like "Who's been a silly boy then? See why you shouldn't burgle people now".

If I am burgled in the future and I'm at home, I'll phone the cops if I can do so quietly perhaps, but my natural instinct will be to grab my maglite, knife, or my trusty Barnett Commando crossbow depending on the fast moving nature of the situation. I don't expect the police to protect me, I always rely on my on use of reasonable force for that.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
10 years ago I was working in a bookies in the south, 5 masked men walked in and smashed up a IT box (roulette machine) taking around £900 whilst threatening the old folk with knives and bad language. Once they got what they came for they legged it. Instantly phoning the police and giving them all the information I could including that they were all carrying knives and 3 had hammers to hand.

9 days later the police arrived.

I know they had gone, and I had given them all I could but the old folk were startled the police would have settled them but nope, 9 days pass and they show up when Im signed off (2 weeks sign off on robbery back then)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

If you were in the USA you might be better off with them NOT showing up.

Just saying.....

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Without going into too much detail, I have an ongoing case pending with the IPCC: A guy tried to drag my girlfriend into a car, she fought him off, ran to 2 policemen crying, explained what happened and pointed the guy out as he'd got stuck in traffic trying to get away. Their response: get a cab home, didn't even stop the guy to ask him what had happened. 8 statements and a lot of bs handwringing from the met later, we'd had enough.

The police aren't going to be there when you need them, that's just reality.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I think this may actually be about the forthcoming cuts to the police force in the name of "Austerity." The police are merely pointing out that this could be an unacceptable outcome to the cuts.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

My police area (Devon & Cornwall constabulary) has just one officer available at any given time for every 5000 citizens in the Summer tourist season.
In Winter it's a bit better, one cop available for every 1000 citizens, but people tend not to rely on the police here, and they turn a blind eye to communities sorting out scumbags.
Police numbers thread I wrote last year showing my figures

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It is worth pointing out that this is some high ranking officer just pointing out what "might" happen with a lot of if's, but's and maybe's.

First of all, they have done this periodically for as long as I remember, usually to generate headlines, so the Government is embarrassed and they safeguard funding. Tried and tested, old school tactic.

Secondly, it is the local PCC's that decide on policing priorities, not this lady who is basically the head of the Police Chiefs Union. So while some forces might deem burglary a low priority (for whatever reason) others may not.

So, essentially, this is her banging the drum for her fellow Police Chiefs to try and generate some sort of outcry or political embarrassment to get the Government to cough up some cash. My local force actually likes to focus on burglary and always attends - in fact, it often gets a conviction as well.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think this is original story?
www.bbc.com...

***Sara Thornton told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire budget cuts and the changing nature of criminality meant police in England and Wales had to prioritise.
She said it "could be" that if an iPad was stolen from a home an officer would not come round to investigate.
There had to be a "conversation with the public" over priorities, she added.
Ms Thornton has said that forces need radical reform if they are to survive budget cuts.
"Crime is changing in this country, she said.***

sounds like a petty criminal's wet dream.
No thanks.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

It is worth pointing out that this is some high ranking officer just pointing out what "might" happen with a lot of if's, but's and maybe's.

I thought the quotes posted in the OP reflected that.
Sara Thornton is the head of what used to be called the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) so I think she is more than just some high ranking officer , she speaks to all the other Chief Police Officers so I think she probably has an inside track on what is being planned.

So, essentially, this is her banging the drum for her fellow Police Chiefs to try and generate some sort of outcry or political embarrassment to get the Government to cough up some cash.

More like she's saying the Tories are squeezing to hard and the pips are indeed squeaking.

edit on 28-7-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join