It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we lose our Long Term Memory w/ Free Information?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Loss of Long Term Memory is linked to

WebMD - Memory Loss and Wiki - Long Term Memory

Do you think with the usage of rapid free information, our minds will evolve to relying on technology to provide us the quick answers?

Language evolves, we see that through generations of words and phrases that aren't used anymore and replaced with new ones.

Do you think this will happen to our mind with the introduction of rapid free information at the touch of a button?

What do you think the repercussions of this will be? Any positives? What is the next step?

What I notice is the addiction to look at your phone, you are always wanting to know what is new. Recently I've been trying to look for old advertisements out of magazines that used to be on the internet. They're not there anymore on Google Images, 7-10 pages deep. Life is changing. Is Google images life?

If we are relying on this technology and the content changes in the blink of an eye we will be totally manipulated and controlled. Don't you think? What can you do?
edit on 28-7-2015 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Short term is knowing where to search, long term would not be remembering what you searched/what you have searched. Sometimes you search again, i.e. relying on technology. Thus loss of long term memory.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
Loss of Long Term Memory is linked to WebMD - Memory Loss and Wiki - Long Term Memory but do you think with the usage of rapid free information, our minds will evolve to relying on technology to provide us the quick answers? Language evolves, we see that through generations of words and phrases that aren't used anymore and replaced with new ones. Do you think this will happen to our mind with the introduction of rapid free information at the touch of a button? What do you think the repercussions of this will be? Any positives? What is the next step?

What I notice is the addiction to look at your phone, you are always wanting to know what is new. Recently I've been trying to look for old advertisements out of magazines that used to be on the internet. They're not there anymore on Google Images, 7-10 pages deep. Life is changing. Is Google images life? If we are relying on this technology and the content changes in the blink of an eye we will be totally manipulated and controlled. Don't you think? What can you do?

No. Long term memory is linked to IQ and study habits over a lifetime. Instant news is not going to reverse a lifetime of study and how one's brain works.

If you are looking for old ads, a hobby of mine- whether print or TV, you aren't looking right. They are all on youtube.

College students will still be made to read books, even if in e-book form.

The fast search for information actually suits my brain well.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Right...study habits over a lifetime...what happens if your study habits over your lifetime, or a good part of your lifetime rely on rapid free information?
edit on 28-7-2015 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Virtually everyone I meet m ames the comment - "my memory is useless these days I can't remember a thing."

The best people with memory were those like the illiterate milkman who had to remember his bills per house - incredible memories those men. Today, I rely totally on my diary or PC.

I do wonder about the effect on our kids though. However, probably by the time they reach maturity they will be suffering so badly from repetitive sprain injury to their thumbs and fingers etc that they won't be able to even pat their phones for answers let alone type in questions, so will have to revert back to other means.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

No , i really don't think so . Instant information may kill the ability of our kids to add 29 to 167 without the use of a phone but i am sure that after stepping on a bee with no shoes they will remember for life that it is a bad idea . Now 200 generations down the track ???????????.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

I have short term memory issues, caused by an overdose of pethidine when I was in the womb. The doctors screwed the pooch somewhat during the long labour my mother went through in several ways...

However, this means that I only reliably retain useless data, or data not relevant to my day to day existence. For example, a four character PIN is near impossible for me to recall unless I use it many times per day. But I can recall instantly the details of a conversation I had years ago with a dear friend. Birthdays? No hope. Moon landing date? No problem!

This is something that I have gotten used to over time, and have coping strategies for which do not involve tech.

That being said, I have now got a smartphone tab combo that I am running, and that has proven very helpful in other ways.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I think this is a big problem with the internet and emerging technology. Believe it or not, studies have been done on this and the internet does affect things like attention span and long-term memory. People have written blogs about how they can't read a book anymore. Will doctors know their field or just rely on a smartphone app?

What are the implications for individuals? Will this addiction to the internet cause an inability to experience long-term memory and things of more substance? It seems likely.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
No. Long term memory is linked to IQ and study habits over a lifetime. Instant news is not going to reverse a lifetime of study and how one's brain works.

That's not true - studies show that it does change how the brain works, it is freaking psychologists and some people in the tech industry out because they have kids and don't want their kids to be negatively affected by new technology.

Given the ubiquity of Google, is memory obsolete? Academic Earth dares to ask, how is such easy access to information affecting our brains as we rely less and less on memory and more on technology?

In a 2011 experiment published in Science Magazine, college students remembered less information when they knew they could easily access it later on the computer.2 With 49% of Americans now toting around Google on their smart phones, researchers concluded that the effect is the same. We’re relying on Google to store knowledge long-term, instead of our own brains.3

Neuroimaging of frequent Internet users shows twice as much activity in the short term memory as sporadic users during online tasks.4 Basically, our brain is learning to disregard information found online, and this connection becomes stronger every time we experience it. So the more we use Google, the less likely we are to retain what we see.

Is the Internet Changing Your Brain?

So the answer to the O.P. is yes, we are losing our long-term memories because of access to free information.
edit on 28amTue, 28 Jul 2015 06:30:24 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Totally agree! I can completely recall useless phone numbers for old relatives and friends from childhood, but nowadays, I haven't a clue! I no longer dial the numbers repetitiously, they all are just a quick click away! Same with notable events. In the past, I would write those in on a wall calendar. Seeing it constantly in passing, now, the events just repeat themselves and alert me digitally! Aargh! True, in recognizing this one would think I would counter the digital effect, but nope, I am hooked! I have just become more understanding if my loved ones have no real idea of when it is my birthday or anniversary. My popular mechanics do it yourself encyclopedia collection sits on the shelf collecting dust now a days. Same with the silly phonebooks that are delivered and are still in their plastic wraps. My family thinks since I don't use them they should be tossed. Lol. I am hooked to instant information online, but I will keep those in my back pocket if I cannot get online. Lord knows, loss of networking digitally, is a scary thought not only to me, but everyone I know!

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Well, since we are also losing our short term memory, we can all start afresh.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
a reply to: reldra

Right...study habits over a lifetime...what happens if your study habits over your lifetime, or a good part of your lifetime rely on rapid free information?

I have always wondered about this, especially in post secondary education.
Sometimes I just cannot imagine how people studied wrote papers back even just 20 years ago, let alone before the internet.
Today all a student really needs to do is whip up some sources from the internet, go find said book in a library (which they can reserve on the internet) and just source in less than a few hours.

I honestly think the internet has been a blessing, but a curse as well, for example:
My nephew was playing a game once while I was over for a visit, I noticed he was sitting there with a laptop open watching someone else play and he just mimiced this other persons every move.
What is the point on playing a video game?!

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Stop and think about it. I'm elderly, don't surf too much, but Google is my friend walking with me throught the shadow of death, etc. Three of my children and a grandchild are eons ahead in knowledge from where I was at any age up to and including this morning after I went to Fox, Daily Mail, and ATS. Everybody knows things that before they never could or would know. All of this knowledge works a wonder in the brain providing new thoughts, concepts and ways of action.

Maybe living in the now is better than living in the yesterday. Besides, what knowledge from yesterday hasn't been updated this morning? You can call it a social fad, I suppose, but I disagree, it is intensely personal to many of us that want info and good info when we want it and what the hell good is an old memory anyway when the NWO is descending all around superseding all of the old?

Yes, I'm being sarcastically ironic, but that is the future. Get on board or get left behind like your most of your parents.

new topics

top topics

join