It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone had Lasik eye surgery before?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I'm beginning to consider saving up a bit of cash for lasik. Not too long ago I had a pair of glasses that were scratched and went ahead and bought a replacement. (scratches come from where I work) Then the other day, those glasses also had a large scratch on them. I should be getting another pair within a week. I've lost count on how many times I went out and got new glasses since I was a kid.

I'm starting to think that replacing my glasses over time will turn out to be more expensive than getting lasik. It's getting pretty annoying having to go get an exam again every couple years and then wait a week for the new pair to be made. Also, there's absolutely no chance of me getting contacts.

Anyways, has anyone here had lasik surgery done before? Is it worth it, or were there any negative side effects you had?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I had the surgery back around 2000. Vision was perfect for a while but eventually I needed glasses again. I don't know if it was just me or what. My vision has always gotten progressively worse over time. I guess my vision would be really bad right now if I never got the surgery. I hear the procedure has gotten better since then. I might check into getting surgery again.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

First, I would guess that you buy the plastic lensed glasses. They scratch easily.
I had my eyes lasered in 1995 after being terrible near-sighted all of my life.
It was the best 4k bucks I ever spent. I paid for my youngest daughter to have the same a couple of years ago.
Be forewarned, if you have astigmatism that may not be taken care of in the deal. I still have double vision if I look at a distant bird in the sky, but it is hardly noticeable at other times. I went back a couple of times, but they check and tell me that they see nothing wrong. 'Course, they are only checking their work and not the shape of my eyeball.

You may need reading glasses for a while or forever after the surgery.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I haven't had the surgery personally but a close relative did back in 2001 and it was the best thing that ever happened to her. For most of her life she had needed glasses just to be able to see well enough to get around, had to reach for them the minute she stumbled out of bed to avoid injuring herself.
Her vision isn't as sharp today as it was just after surgery but she's still able to function normally without glasses. She's in her mid-50s and reads constantly.
Good luck. Hope it works as well for you as it did for her.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I have always wanted lasik, and even saved up for it, and was ready to do it. But I like to read and research about things before I do them, and that is when I found this:

...now I think I'll just stick with my contacts.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I had lasik 2 years ago, having a baby was the impetus. I was up in the middle of the night all the time fumbling around for my glasses, my son yanking them off slobbering all over them...and then shoving contacts in dry sleep deprived eyes in the morning was too much. I did a bit of research found a reputable guy and made an appt. The procedure was 4k but they upsold me on the "hd" procedure for an extra $700. When pressed about the advantage of the hd the Dr. said there was really no discernible difference between the two for a lot of people, but the hd would do a complete mapping of the eye at a 2'nd appt and use this to address any additional anomalies found during the actual procedure. That was good enough to convince me to shell out another $700.

After the 2'nd mapping appt, I went in for the surgery a couple days later. In the waiting room the nurse said they recommended a valium to patients but that I didn't have to. I graciously accepted (strong stuff too I slept all day). Fifteen minutes later I was led into the operating room, laid down on a table and had my head locked in place. The Dr. said I would feel some pressure but not to worry about moving-the laser ran on autopilot and couldn't mess up. True or not, it made me feel better even though I was thoroughly chill from the valium.

It didn't exactly hurt but there was definitely pressure and some heat. It was very quick, a bright green light beeping and whirring around each eye for a minute or two. Very cool. Then they were taping a pair of sexy plastic goggles on my face to make sure I didn't scratch the freshly cauterized flaps off while I was doped up and sleeping. But even through the goggles I could see perfectly as soon as I stood up. I couldn't wait to take the stupid goggles off, but they told me to go home to sleep, and leave the goggles on till the next morning. Anyway, I went from blurry hand in front of my face to 20/20 vision. A fantastic feeling. The Dr. had warned that some people have problems with night vision, dry eyes, and halos around bright lights, but I've had none of those problems and am under the impression it's rather rare with the newer technology. My experience has been all good, I would highly recommend it if you have the money to throw at it.
edit on 28-7-2015 by MartinD28 because: grammar

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Yes. like I have an dozen of my family members including myself Nevada done we all can still see 2020 vision and just wear reading glasses here and there but for the most part I can see without great the lenses or glasses

Worth it if you can afford it

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Best thing I ever did for me. Would do it again in a heartbeat. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
So none of you that had the procedure have serious dry eye problems?

... you just got me excited to go out and get my eyes done. One eye at a time of course.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
if lasik is the laser surgery then yes so far the most pain full but the best thing i have ever done for myself ( i had but astigmatism it fixed that too)

Home price both eyes €800 all up in EU counties (lifetime warranty!! if your vision gets back to being worse then -0.5 they will do another surgery completely free!! I had -6.5!)

I couldn't see my face in the mirror anymore and I am only 29.

WORST THING about the whole surgery was that you get to smell your burning eyeballs!!

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

... you just got me excited to go out and get my eyes done. One eye at a time of course.
I had the surgery two years ago still painful dry eyes.... don't do one eye at the time !!!!!! you will not go for the second one soon
It is painful ... they don't tell you that..
if it doesn't hurt than yeah but no one can predict your pain level.. but then again the luckiest thing is that our brain can not recreate physical pain lol

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I had lasik performed on both eyes 13 years ago.
I have nothing bad to say about it.
I have something good to say about not wearing glasses or contacts for 13 years.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

All daisies and cinnamon for me, no issues. I did forget I wasn't wearing contacts a couple times when I had something in my eye and went to adjust the contact and ran my finger over bare eyeball instead. Rather unpleasant but made me laugh too, old habits die hard. Like I said, do it, you'll be glad you did.

I wouldn't mess about with getting your eyes done separately either. The eyes are already done one at a time at the procedure and if anything went wrong (it wont) they would know it immediately, stop the procedure and call their lawyers.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: buni11687
I'm beginning to consider saving up a bit of cash for lasik. Not too long ago I had a pair of glasses that were scratched and went ahead and bought a replacement. (scratches come from where I work) Then the other day, those glasses also had a large scratch on them. I should be getting another pair within a week. I've lost count on how many times I went out and got new glasses since I was a kid.

I'm starting to think that replacing my glasses over time will turn out to be more expensive than getting lasik. It's getting pretty annoying having to go get an exam again every couple years and then wait a week for the new pair to be made. Also, there's absolutely no chance of me getting contacts.

Anyways, has anyone here had lasik surgery done before? Is it worth it, or were there any negative side effects you had?

I had the surgery last year at a Lasik eye surgery clinic in Washington called Evergreen Eye Center. It is worth the money we spend. I think this is the best treatment to get your eyesight corrected without the need for glasses. Glasses are irritating for some like me and this was the main reason I opted for Lasik surgery. Even Though I was having a minor correction that can be avoided with the support of glasses, I opted for Lasik for the only reason in using glasses. Not just that, Lasik treatment have good track records compared to other eye surgery and safe too. So you are good to go and it's worth.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I would love to have lasik done, I've been considering it for years. I have glasses that I seldom wear, I'd love to ditch them entirely. The transition from clear sight in the lenses to blurred natural vision at the periphery isn't just annoying, it's like an ever-present visual gap that throws me off consistently (for the lack of a better way to put it. I.E, I need seamless sight, not what I get with glasses) I have very bad astigmatism, even toric lenses when I tried contacts spun & didn't stay put :/ The crystal clear "seamless" vision was awesome, when they didn't move on me.

I might look in to it again and see if the prospects for folks with bad astigmatism are any better today than a decade ago.

top topics

join