It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts lift ban on gay leaders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well it looks like the Boy Scouts have lifted a ban which has stood for over 100 years. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I guess it's good for the Boy Scouts, but is it good for the children. I'm not saying a Gay leader is a bad thing, I guess I'm just worried about the intentions of some of these leaders. I applaud the Boy Scouts for making this move, but I do have some concerns. Will they spread their beliefs about homosexuality or will that area be off limits for discussion? Source

There are a few vids in the source but I couldn't figure out how to embed them here.

(CNN)The Boy Scouts of America announced Monday that it's lifting the ban on gay adults as Scout leaders.

The move has been in the works for weeks. This month, the organization's executive committee adopted a resolution that would change the policy.

"This resolution will allow chartered organizations to select adult leaders without regard to sexual orientation, continuing Scouting's longstanding policy of chartered organizations selecting their leaders,"

edit on 27-7-2015 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Just don't look at the MSM comments section for this story.

Filled with more hatred and ignorance than I would want to describe.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: RealTruthSeeker

Will they spread their beliefs about homosexuality or will that area be off limits for discussion?

I don't think sexual orientation gets talked about in the boy scouts.

What beliefs are you scared they will spread?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
im more concerned with the peadophiles they already have in thier ranks than homosexuals.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Will they spread their beliefs about homosexuality or will that area be off limits for discussion?

I'll admit it didn't take long for me to take my leave of the program but I don't recall any sordid discussions about where to put what with whom.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Finally, and as it should be. if you Qualify as a Scout Leader it should be because you meet the criteria not because you are Straight.

Do you question if Straight Scout Leaders Spread their beliefs on Heterosexuality?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I was never allowed to join the Boy Scouts, why I don't know, so I'm not sure exactly what they teach there. I'm just hoping some of these leaders don't try and indoctrinate their ideas of same sex as cool I guess. I'm not saying this will happen, it's just a thought I had.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: okamitengu
im more concerned with the peadophiles they already have in thier ranks than homosexuals.

So am I, but there is a such thing as a homo pedophile, I guess that's what my main concern is.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

What if the "Straight Leaders" Indoctrinate their ideas of Opposite Sex as "Cool" is that Ok? what if you had a Gay scout and his Leader tried to indoctrinate Heterosexuality to him? is that different?

i mean, i don't think the Boy Scouts are about indoctrinating any Sexuality

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I'm just hoping some of these leaders don't try and indoctrinate their ideas of same sex as cool I guess.

Indoctrinate, such a strong word.

I don't think it is a big issue, I will admit I was never in the scouts so not sure but don't think the leaders personal life is part of the lessons.

So am I, but there is a such thing as a homo pedophile, I guess that's what my main concern is.

Well of course there is, no more likely then a straight guy to be so though.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

What if the "Straight Leaders" Indoctrinate their ideas of Opposite Sex as "Cool" is that Ok? what if you had a Gay scout and his Leader tried to indoctrinate Heterosexuality to him? is that different?

i mean, i don't think the Boy Scouts are about indoctrinating any Sexuality

I'd prefer that they didn't do either. But some people get jobs at places like this for only one reason, it's the perfect hunting ground. I've heard alot of crazy stories that go on there, I can't say if they are true or not, but I've heard about those private counseling sessions which had nothing to do with camping.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Well of course there is, no more likely then a straight guy to be so though.

Lol, I've never heard of a straight homo, we are talking about the Boy Scouts right?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

So, only Gay people can try and indoctrinate their Sexuality' to people, kind of like the Gay Therapy but in reverse, and to Boy Scouts?

sorry i can't understand the logic that just because you are Gay you will try and use this as a way to indoctrinate kids into 'homosexuality' which is impossible because you are either born that way or not

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

So, only Gay people can try and indoctrinate their Sexuality' to people, kind of like the Gay Therapy but in reverse, and to Boy Scouts?

I'm not saying that, nor am I saying that every Gay person who is hired will try this. But it does open the door for this to creep in. I realize the gay community feels that gays are totally harmless, but there are some out there who are just as skanless as the Straights and will find this as the perfect opportunity to do and say as they wish.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Ok, so why not the concern for Straight Leaders than?

that is all i'm saying, i know there are Bad people in all Groups and Genders and Sexuality, and i would think that the Boy Scouts have screening processes to pick their leaders etc. but as Soon as they finally let Gay people become Leaders there is concern? and only Concern for the Straight kids getting indoctrinated?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Ok, so why not the concern for Straight Leaders than?

that is all i'm saying, i know there are Bad people in all Groups and Genders and Sexuality, and i would think that the Boy Scouts have screening processes to pick their leaders etc. but as Soon as they finally let Gay people become Leaders there is concern? and only Concern for the Straight kids getting indoctrinated?

There is always concern, regardless of the gender. And your right, there is no reason to think that a straight person would not try the same thing, for all we know this has already been happening. I don't know, for me it's like knowing there is a sex offender in your area, they may not try anything, but it still makes you uncomfortable.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

But Gay Leaders shouldn't make you uncomfortable

i mean, they are not like your Local Sex offender.. unless they are a Sex offender in which case i am sure the Boy Scouts would not even let them interview

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
As a registered adult leader of the BSA, I can tell you a few things:

1) Every 2 years we have to go through Youth Safety Training, which involves keeping the boys safe, practicing things like "two deep leadership". There are VERY strict rules that we have to follow, and failure to follow them can be reported. For example, if a couple (husband / wife) are adult leaders, they can not also be the the two deep leaders. It must be two who are not married or related. NO boy is allowed to be alone with any single leader and out of sight of the other leaders. Things like that.

2) The BSA does not talk to boys about sexuality. Period. That is up to the parents, legal guardians, etc. There is nothing in the BSA's program for Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts that talks about, or covers this. IE: It's not the BSA's place to teach the boys about sexuality.

So how do I feel about gay people being leaders? I don't have an issue with it. Just as I do not have an issue with women who are adult leaders and are in the BSA. Again: we have VERY strict rules about who can be alone with a child.....the parents, and ONLY the parents or people that the parents have granted permission.

For example, on camp outs, in my wife's and I tent, only our son is allowed in it with us. Even though our son has a very good friend that spends the night at our house, his friend is NOT allowed in our tent with us while camping out at a BSA event.

No adult leader is allowed to be alone with ANY Boy Scout / Cub Scout unless they are the parent of that child. Ever.

If it happens, it gets reported to council or district. It's a very serious thing.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

But Gay Leaders shouldn't make you uncomfortable

i mean, they are not like your Local Sex offender.. unless they are a Sex offender in which case i am sure the Boy Scouts would not even let them interview

My concern is for the kids who attend this group, not me myself. Like I said, I don't think every gay person would try something, but you never know.

You'd be surprised at the amount of sex offenders that are working in places they shouldn't, it's not that hard to cheat the system.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Thank you, i truly have no knowledge of anything Boy Scouts so your (and others who have experience) knowledge is integral to the discussion

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join