It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now they want to pull you over for wearing seatbelts and driving the speed limit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

That sounds kind of creepy. Yeah, it's kinda nice to get a $10 gift card, but to get pulled over for it? No thanks. As others have said, just take a pic of my license, run the plate, and mail me the card.

It's nerve wracking to get pulled over, even if it's for a good reason.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Nothing like circumventing your right to travel unmolested, probable cause, and illegal search and seizures all in one move and claim it's a gift.

Can't imagine there would be cops on here not only encouraging this tactic, but belittling people with concerns about their rights..lmao

When the law enforcers are lawless, we are gonna have some issues with society, and it will not be good.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I see why you would say we are being cynical.

And to a point you are correct, I agree the idea is good on paper and I do like the idea behind it.

Better relations with police is a good thing to strife for and we all like free money.

But the other side of that coin has me worried.

I already think cops go fishing hoping to catch the big one going after something small, and this is just another way to hook some one.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wetpaint72
Keep your damn 10.00, just leave me alone.

I got things to do. Ain't nobody got time for this.

This. So this. And save the patronizing authority act, like a stern father handing out allowance and a pat on the back for doing yard work. No thanks, I already have a Dad and am not a child.

Save the money for better training, tamper proof body/dash cams and psychological screening/check ups. Or use the money to donate to non gov community oversight groups. Maybe pay the families of all the people who have been killed by cops. Pay the scores of thousands of people beaten by cops.

If they pulled me over and tried to give me
hush money I'd refuse it, roll my window up and call my attorney before they find a reason to ticket, arrest, beat or kill me.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Yeah, let's just make stuff up and get all irate about it. Practice is always good
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Well, you know practice does make perfect, right?

LL

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I have no idea where I saw it but I remember reading an interview with a cop. He said if you do anything wrong at all, he has a reason to stop you and check you out. If, on the other hand, you do everything absolutely perfect, he would find that very suspicious and stop you and check you out. His version of probable cause is: doing something wrong, doing nothing wrong. Nice.
edit on 23-7-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Prefer they go after people that aren't. People that are obeying the law don't need to see flashing lights in their mirror.

This is a poorly though out subjugation ploy.

Thank you officer, if I have a problem I'll_call_you.

If I have a problem I won't call. Detectives do the work, not beat cops. Beat cops show up after the crime. Very rarely will a beat cop "save the day" if an innocent victim calls 911. Response time in many cities is absurd. Unless they just happen to be right there when a violent crime is taking place.

Even then, you're not exactly safe if the cops are "there to help":
youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

"Here's your $10 gift card for driving with your seatbelt on, ma'am. AND I'll throw in a lollipop for cooperating with the body cavity search!"

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JeanPaul

If I have a problem I won't call…

I thought about saying that… or the mantra I lived by during my outdoors phase:

Never call a cop, never talk to a cop, never help a cop, never resist a cop.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: AK907ICECOLD
Where's mount Dora? a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Google is your friend.

You're smart ass. kill you to tell me or have you not google that yet

Hold on to that stupid remark, and your ego since I have to look it upand I'm not familiar. i'm working at 80 hour job during the week I can't be on here all the time and on Google like most of their mothers basement

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

And I work 70 hours a week but I can spare the 30 seconds it takes to google it versus the 2 minutes it takes to compose a reply (and a retort) on ATS, and further clutter a thread with a post that adds nothing to the discussion but can be answered with a little bit of individual initiative.

Just saying.

That said, let me return to my basement.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I would imagine since it was an unlawful stop, everything else after is moot.

If you just took a bong rip while driving, make sure to blow it in his face and ask,

Am I free to go?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Free heart attacks for old stoners:
Says the cop:
"That's the fifth dead hippie I pulled over this month!"

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

If you just took a bong rip while driving, make sure to blow it in his face and ask,

Am I free to go?

Three words

Good faith exception

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Hm.

Seems like a way to scrape up some "probable cause" for a vehicle search.

They should not be able to pull someone over for following the law because then they have access to seeing things or smelling things inside the car that they shouldn't legally have access to. They might also find out the person has a warrant out for their arrest after putting them in the "Gift card" database.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

originally posted by: eisegesis

Am I free to go?

Three words

Good faith exception

Such evidence is not generally admissible in court. For example, if a police officer conducted an unconstitutional (Fourth Amendment) search of a home and obtained a key to a train station locker, and evidence of a crime came from the locker, that evidence would most likely be excluded under the fruit of the poisonous tree legal doctrine. The discovery of a witness is not evidence in itself because the witness is attenuated by separate interviews, in-court testimony and his or her own statements.

Link

The four main exceptions...

1. It was discovered in part as a result of an independent, untainted source
2. It would inevitably have been discovered despite the tainted source
3. The chain of causation between the illegal action and the tainted evidence is too attenuated
4. The search warrant was not found to be valid based on probable cause, but was executed by government agents in good faith (called the good-faith exception).

There's always an exception. You may have to jump through some hoops, but it'll get you out of places where the constitution is still honored.

edit on 23-7-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

There's always an exception. You may have to jump through some hoops, but it'll get you out of places where the constitution is still honored. 

So no place in america....

Gottcha

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

So no place in america....

Gottcha

Touché, lol.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Wetpaint72

Exactly, if I didn't do anything wrong then step off my toes!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
All the negatives. Does anybody here actually know of this town or their local police force?
I don't personally, so I googled it.
For christ sake, in 2010 it's population was only slightly under 13000 people.
I live in a town of about 25000, and it is vastly different here than in a large city. One of the cops here I even went to school with.
So maybe, just maybe they actually are doing it as a nice gesture, and the community doesn't mind due to them actually knowing them.

But that's them, personally I find it intrusive, especially if I was obeying the law. But here we can be randomly pulled over if we are obeying the law, just to get randomly breath tested.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join