It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
It's the plot to Kingsman.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I just bought some pappers and a ink pencil, its awesome! Never knew you could write stuff down without the computer, since i kinda have a hunch im being monitored, or i know i am. Lets see them finidng out what im doing know since its incoherent XD

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO (the 1003rd power.)

I don't like the smell of this move one bit.

First of all this article.... has a huge error in its story.

"Along with returning a version of the Start button and not forcing people to use a touch screen, the company is offering Windows 10 free of charge be free for at least for a year after it's released for anyone running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1."

--the company is offering Windows 10 free of charge be free for at least for a year after it's released for anyone running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.--

--Windows 10 free of charge be free for at least for a year after it's released--

---free of charge be free for at least for a year---

WHO THE # WROTE THIS SENTENCE?

No. What this sentence here is telling me:

Windows 10 will delete your old operating system, be free for a year, and then ask you to pick up the tab. If you don't then that is fine. Windows 10 will only turn your computer into a Bail stop.

I don't want to bail out my personal files from an operating system that is hostile.

Windows 10? I will stick with windows 7.

Word to the wise.... If you did not create a windows backup CD or a re-installer when you had the chance.... OH WELL!

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

Windows 10 is free for those who upgrade from windows 7/8 for the life of the machine for the next year or so, it will NOT suddenly decide not to boot up after a year or any of the other crap people seem to think it will do. The ideas to get people onto the new version as it'll improve security since you'll always be on the latest revision.

Why they giving it away? surely thats madness but its to bring the App store more to people as MS will skim a nice percentage from the sales (just like Apple do), For the big buyers like Dell etc the cost of the windows license is virtually nothing anyway.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
My Windows Update is currently downloading Windows 10 Pro. It is 45% complete out of 5.2 Gigs.

Still got 5 hours left tell 7/30. Waiting for it to install.

Anyone else getting it downloading already? Or already have it downloaded?

I checked my Windows Update a little earlier (open config and then type update in search). And looked at update history and it showed this:

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro failed. I clicked on it and saw error message: Code 80240020.

So I went to CMD (command prompt) in administrator mode (on Windows 8.1 just right click on the lower left-hand windows button and select it) and then typed the following into the command prompt:

wuauclt.exe /updatenow

And went back to Windows Update screen and got the message that it was downloading.

edit on 28-7-2015 by JackReyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Sounds like they returning to the maintenance model that was the norm, going back 20 years or so. So they will initially give windows away free so people adopt it and sing its praises, then after a year they will be stung for a maintenance fee (my bet is $100- $150 a year). Those that don't pay maintenance will soon find that the latest c libraries etc won't install, limiting its ability to run new applications

For those that are sick of the M$ roundabout. Linux Mint ain't so bad.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Ever since Windows killed XP, I have been glad to be a MAC user. Only problem I have is replacing my gaming computer eventually. Well, if I ever want to purchase new games anyway.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I'm not that worried about it. If they start charging for it after a year then I'll just go back to my fav Linux disbutrion, Ubuntu. Only thing that would suck is the Xbox One, but I'm finding that a fair amount of the games/cooler stuff out there need Live anyway.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The Software as a Service model is growing exponentially. In the case of Windows there are several good business reasons to 'give it away'. First, get all customers on all platforms using the same OS. That eliminates the need and huge expense of supporting several different OS's. A single OS path makes things a lot easier for system integrators and FW developers. The Windows Store. We don't pay for iTunes. Apple makes its money on the music, video and app purchases. It's the future.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I'm still using my Dell, from 20 years ago. jajajajaja Thanks, but i'm staying with Windows XP. lol I like the way my computer is set up. Not liking the "mandatory" option, nor do i like being "spied" on.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The problem with windows 10 is that its web based. If you've never tried to use a chromebook with no reception or bad reception then let me tell you. Its less then worthless without internet.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JuJuBee
I'm still using my Dell, from 20 years ago. jajajajaja Thanks, but i'm staying with Windows XP. lol I like the way my computer is set up. Not liking the "mandatory" option, nor do i like being "spied" on.

Sure that is fine for people that would only do basic stuff.

But what about the gamers and graphic designers? Pretty sure a 20 year old computer isn't up to par.

In any event got Windows 10 installed and it's very nice. But I did get a glitch, I had no sound. Deleted the sound drivers and restarted the computer and it fixed the problem.
edit on 29-7-2015 by JackReyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Did the update today for Windows 10 and within the hour I went back to 8.1.. Still find 8.1 to be the best OS I have used in the last 18 years using Windows.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Just got windows 10 on my wife's gaming computer. Already experienced my first lock up incident.

Not worth going back to 8.1 because it isn't any better.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Update the video drivers from the appropriate company ( Nvidia or AMD ).

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

No need.

Already done. Apparently its just windows.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The user agreement puts me off for i do appreciate my privacy:

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to."

So i won't be, ahem, "upgrading" to Windows 10.

www.networkworld.com...
edit on 9-8-2015 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: pointr97

There's something you have to realize about this. MS would have never survived as long as it has if it was not part of the plan. Whatever the plan is (or whatever theory you happen to have about what the plan is). It is just this simple. You have a huge number of the world's computers running on Windows. So what would you do if you wanted to control the world? Well, a huge piece of that would be getting control of the world's computers.

So you can pretty much just assume that anyone who is interested in ruling the world probably has their tentacles deeply embedded into anything that has anything to do with computers. Software AND hardware.

The average dummy who is sitting out there running a Windows machine is the proverbial low hanging fruit. Of course there are exceptions (There are some very technically competent people running Windows machines, obviously). But in general, if you want to "own" the average citizen, you want to own their computer (or whatever device they use the most). My guess is they're really most interested in mobile devices because that's where the most potential for gain is. You walk around with a "smart phone" that knows exactly where it is at all times (Along with just about everything else about it's environment). That's huge. The thought that people treat these things like we used to treat calculators is mind boggling.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LionOfGOD
The user agreement puts me off for i do appreciate my privacy:

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to."

So i won't be, ahem, "upgrading" to Windows 10.

Won't matter. Honestly, I haven't read the user agreement to any of the software that I run. For all I know, that is already the user agreement on my OS. But if it isn't, you can pretty much be sure they'll sneak it in somewhere on whatever version of Windows you use at some future date.

Look at it this way. These are people who deal in code. If you won't cooperate, they'll simply write some code to make an "upgrade" more appealing somehow. Maybe they'll accidentally break something in your current OS that needs a patch. You'll have to agree to install it or nothing will work. I mean, I have no idea but that's just it. We're at the mercy of people who are magnitudes smarter than we are (most of us). They could potentially do pretty much anything to us and disguise it as a security update and most of us wouldn't have a clue unless it was on TV.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join