It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
15 -20 hours a week has not a thing to do with whatever wage they pay. They do this to coral the slaves so they always a a slave for standby in case some slaves do not show up to keep the machine going.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: greencmp

You really didn't see this coming?

The more you make, the more they (govt) take.

The true reason behind the $15 an hour wage was to increase taxes paid, lessening take home pay.

That is certainly a byproduct in theory but, because minimum wage increases decrease employment it doesn't actually work out that way.

I maintain that it is merely a subcategory of legal plunder.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

It appears that we both missed the others' sarcasm.

Like two ships in the night...

link   

I am suggesting there is more then one possibility then they are just asking for less hours so they can stay on welfare.

link   
I make 20 dollars an hour cleaning toilets, I was making 15 an hour and when my employers raised my pay, my life got better.

link   

originally posted by: RealTruthSeeker

originally posted by: In4ormant
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

600 a week is plenty as a minimum! If its not then you need to check your lifestyle at the door folks.

That depends where you live and how much support you have. Right now me and my girl are paying $1850 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment. We have 3 girls to feed, electric, water and garbage, plus internet, car insurance, renter insurance, cell phone bills, gas to get back and forth to work, lunch money the list goes on. Even though my girl makes more than $15 it's still not enough to really live on. Unless you want to live like a rabbit.

I'm.not against helping people who are actively trying to help themselves. The op is referring to people who are refusing to work more in order to get free $hit.

Not to sound condescending but maybe you should scale back on the rent, cellphones, internet etc.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

I don't pay myself that but my emp,oyees get that and more. THEY ARE my success and deserve the kudos. I care so I share. Guess what? They don't dred coming to work, they maximize their work product, and they are less stressed and have less medical issues.

Why owners do not equitably share profits with ALL those who make it for them is beyond me.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Doh!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Exactly. They asked for it, they got it, but now it's too much?

link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: johnwick

I can wrap my own burger, thanks.
Try selling it then. Let's see what happens then?

link   

originally posted by: ugmold

The guy wrapping up your burger at McDonald's doesn't make anything. He wraps up food that somebody else prepared. Somebody else slaughtered. Somebody else raised as livestock.

Then do it, thanks, at minimum wage 40 hrs a week, hero.

Maybe he doesn't need to because he made better life choices

link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I had heard of Seattle's attempt to raise the minimum wage to $15; however, you failed to state the fact that Seattle is currently at only $11 an hr. Neither you nor the article states the demographics of the people asking to work less. A single Mother with 2 or more kids may only be able to work less than 40 hours a week because of younger children. The higher wage may help, but not until the kids are in school (it is summer too). That $4 may be the big hump that determines whether she can do without the financial aid. Aid which benefits the children more than her, many single moms sacrifice their dignity for the benefit of their children. Daycare is a big deal to a single mom and it can be expensive with 2+ kids. A $15 @ 40hr. week - you are looking at $28,000 a yr...before taxes. The national poverty line is currently $24,500 for a family of 4. The example of the business for the radio show was a home care service. I am willing to bet a majority of the workers are women, probably quite a few single mothers.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

It can be at low as $10 per hour depending on the number of people you employ, any idea how much it was last year? Or the year before? Could price increases (which happen annually in EVERY business anyway due to inflation) be possibly tied to greed in any way shape or form? Then blamed on the minimal increase in wages? That couldn't be a possibility right? We should be seeing profits down everywhere and businesses shutting doors daily, but hmmm, we don't do we?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Did it say they asked to get cut to 24 hours?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The guy wrapping up your burger at McDonald's doesn't make anything. He wraps up food that somebody else prepared. Somebody else slaughtered. Somebody else raised as livestock.

Do I have the option of wrapping my own food up when I go somewhere? Is there a restaurant that lets you do that? I'll do it. Will it knock some money off the menu price if I wrap the food myself? Then I would definitely be willing to wrap my own food up, champ.

I don't know, I don't eat that sh•t.

link   

Why owners do not equitably share profits with ALL those who make it for them is beyond me.

Really? You don't understand it? Quite simple really. Low skill slavery.

link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: ketsuko

You know the typical response: Of course he does because he works just as hard. The difficulty and over all value of what he works hard at is never taken into account.

Value.....

Makes the business owner hundreds of times more than he gets paid every year, but he isn't worth anything.

Ya....

But his work has no value.......

Not looking for a fight however, I keep seeing this statement about skilled labor making the CEO or owner hundreds of times more and I am wondering where does it come from?

Please let me know….

link   

I don't pay myself that but my emp,oyees get that and more. THEY ARE my success and deserve the kudos. I care so I share. Guess what? They don't dred coming to work, they maximize their work product, and they are less stressed and have less medical issues.

Good on you then. People obviously perform better and have more pride in something they have ownership in.

link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I am suggesting there is more then one possibility then they are just asking for less hours so they can stay on welfare.

That could be but, the numbers provided for this reasonably well documented though, perhaps, slightly premature analysis would seem to indicate otherwise.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Do I have the option of wrapping my own food up when I go somewhere? Is there a restaurant that lets you do that? I'll do it. Will it knock some money off the menu price if I wrap the food myself? Then I would definitely be willing to wrap my own food up, champ.

I don't know, I don't eat that sh•t.
And ya know what? It's mostly the people on these low budget discount slave jobs that eat this garbage too.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join