It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Really didn't know where to put this, so Mods move at your own descretion.

For a while, there was a huge debate on increasing the minimum wage. Many said that $15 an hour would be a "living wage". That the people would be able to lift themselves out of poverty and finally make a decent wage. Well, it looks like that's not workin' out too good. Even though they're making that $15 an hour, many are asking for less hours, so they can stay on assistance programs. It also says that even though they are making $15 an hour, it still didn't lift them far enough to completely rely on their hourly wage. So, what now? Raise it to $17 ? $20 ? Do we just keep upping the wage till fast food workers and service people are making as much as professionals, with years of experience? I know, some will argue that food service is a profession and do deserve what other professions make. But, is the kid that fixed your Big Mac on the same par as the guy who designed the building you work in? Does that kid asking "You want fries with that?" deserve to make as much as You?

www.foxnews.com...

Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Full Life Care, a home nursing nonprofit, told KIRO-TV in Seattle that several workers want to work less.

“If they cut down their hours to stay on those subsidies because the $15 per hour minimum wage didn’t actually help get them out of poverty, all you’ve done is put a burden on the business and given false hope to a lot of people,” said Jason Rantz, host of the Jason Rantz show on 97.3 KIRO-FM.

The twist is just one apparent side effect of the controversial -- yet trendsetting -- minimum wage law in Seattle, which is being copied in several other cities despite concerns over prices rising and businesses struggling to keep up.

The notion that employees are intentionally working less to preserve their welfare has been a hot topic on talk radio. While the claims are difficult to track, state stats indeed suggest few are moving off welfare programs under the new wage.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You know the typical response: Of course he does because he works just as hard. The difficulty and over all value of what he works hard at is never taken into account.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Doh !!

Failure Inc.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Whoever is asking for less hours is crazy. Every time I look for these jobs at $15 all the company wants to do is give 20-25 hours a week. It's almost impossible to get 40 hour weeks. The cost of living is so high in Seattle that no one can really afford the rent unless you live with 3 or 4 people and split it. Either that or move way out in the sticks and drive 2 hours every day back and forth to work. They need to lower the rent rates, that would be alot more effective.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

One story shows the fallout?

And not even a year after it has been started...

Small sample sizes are small.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: RealTruthSeeker
Whoever is asking for less hours is crazy. Every time I look for these jobs at $15 all the company wants to do is give 20-25 hours a week. It's almost impossible to get 40 hour weeks. The cost of living is so high in Seattle that no one can really afford the rent unless you live with 3 or 4 people and split it. Either that or move way out in the sticks and drive 2 hours every day back and forth to work. They need to lower the rent rates, that would be alot more effective.
I agree, it's the whole rent fiasco that is driving up the cost of living. And this goes right back to the placeholders, money grabbing selfish punks that run and perpetuate this whole goddamn rat race. Why so damn high on rent? Is it the insurance? Get the pitchforks and burn this down to the ground!

How about a "GREED" tax?
edit on 7/22/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I must admit, I did not anticipate this particular result.

So, the minimum wage eliminates the bulk of the jobs for unskilled workers (mostly youths) and those who retain the positions back off on hours to stay on the taxpayer's teat.

Brilliant!

Another great example of unanticipated consequences.
edit on 22-7-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Now it's too much money and not enough at the same time eh? This topic eats me alive inside.

Sooooo, instead of working 2 jobs(like my parents) @15 an hour to make ends meet or asking for more hours, you wanna work less to continue burning through my tax money.

When does the bleeding stop

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
When does the bleeding stop

When we elect people who have at least a basic grasp on economics instead of pandering morons.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

How do we verify that the workers in this one place are asking for less hours to stay on welfare?
Or does it not matter, this guy on the radio said it so it must be true.

God forbid it is because they don't necessarily need those hours now that they are making more and want some free time.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You know the typical response: Of course he does because he works just as hard. The difficulty and over all value of what he works hard at is never taken into account.

Value.....

Makes the business owner hundreds of times more than he gets paid every year, but he isn't worth anything.

Ya....

But his work has no value.......

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I have different reasons for being against economic intervention and protectionism in all forms, this just adds to the list of detrimental results which were presumably unforeseen.

Excuse my following flippant comment but, are you suggesting that these workers are just looking for some free time?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Pretty sure the "value" being referred to here is "value added to society."

But I'm sure you knew that.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Right. They're making so much now, they can afford to take a weekend off. If it's helped that much, why this?

Despite a booming economy throughout western Washington, the state’s welfare caseload has dropped very little since the higher wage phase began in Seattle in April. In March 130,851 people were enrolled in the Basic Food program. In April, the caseload dropped to 130,376.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Riiiiggghhht, "value" to "society".

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
God forbid it is because they don't necessarily need those hours now that they are making more and want some free time.

That makes no sense. At the old rate of $9.32, if they worked 40 hours, they would have grossed $372.90 per week. At $15 per hour that would be 24 hours. Are you telling me they were fine with $372 a week as opposed to $600?

Why would they have needed a raise then?

edit on 22-7-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

The work has value, but if everyone and his brother can do the same work, then that doesn't push the wage floor very high because Why pay a premium for what anyone can do? You don't have to. Someone else will be willing to do the work for less and so on down the line.

Or, do YOU think someone who flips burgers is worth paying $30/hour or more? If so, why especially considering nearly anyone with no special training can flip a burger.

And if that is the base, then what would you pay someone who has to have a little specialized skill training or knowledge in order to be competent at their job? Are they worth no more than the guy flipping burgers?

Would you want the brain surgeon who is only making $30/hour doing your delicate brain surgery?

edit on 22-7-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

600 a week is plenty as a minimum! If its not then you need to check your lifestyle at the door folks.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: Shamrock6

Riiiiggghhht, "value" to "society".

Seriously? The guy wrapping your microwaved burger contributes as much to society as the guy keeping your sewage flowing properly?

Oh wait, no, I get it. You're one of those that thinks wages have nothing to do with the actual job and skill set needed to perform the job and are all about the employer's bottom line.

Breaking news: most employers will pay every employee they can as little as they can....

Based off the service they provide.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It makes sense if you think of it from the point of view that making that higher wage makes them ineligible for free stuff. Working the extra hours to make up for that means it is not free anymore. That is how I am reading this....it makes sense, in a warped and deluded perception of the world, where everyone owes you something for nothing.

They showed up, so they deserve a trophy, right?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join