It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh no. What do I do now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Something bad happened and I really don't know what to do about it. My friends went on vacation and had me watch their animals. Well, one of the cats (who was 11 years old) was sick. I don't think they thought she was as sick as she actually was. I think she had an internal tumor or something because she was bloated. Anywho, after they left she was really listless and sluggish. She's been having problems pooping and wasn't eating a lot. She went to the litter box and laid there for a while. I thought okay maybe she's having trouble going. It was a lot worse than that. She died. I dug a hole and gave her a funeral and now I'm sitting here with a moral dilemma. Do I contact them on facebook (they have no cell phone) and tell them now and ruin their first day of vacation or do I hold off a day or two? I really don't know what to do. I feel like crap about it because she was my responsibility. I mean, yeah, she was sick but still. I've been busting my brains for the last hour or so and just don't know if I should tell them now or later. I really hate to save it for when they get home (which is a week). What do you think?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

That is a tough one. For sure. IMHO I'd wait, like you said so you don't ruin the vacation. I don't know though that is really a tough one. Sorry skidmark...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Wait until they get back for sure

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Boy, that's tough. Sorry you had to go though that.

I would tell them now. I wouldn't want anyone mad at me for waiting. Yes, it will suck for their vacation, but if it was me, I would want to know.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait. They went to see my friend's army buddy, who he hasn't seen since 1985 and I don't want that hanging over their heads the whole time they're supposed to be enjoying themselves.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thats a hard one.
But the thing is, the cat is dead and already buried.

It has the potential to destroy their vacation. So telling them now isnt a good idea.
Wait until the night they come back and tell them.
Explain to them, there was nothing they could if they where to find out now, you took care of burying the cat, so you held it off so they could enjoy the vacation.

So unless they planned on bronzing the cat upon death, i think you are doing the right thing.

They will understand.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There is nothing that they can do about it, so I would let them enjoy their vacation and tell them later. RIP sweet kitty!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I'd wait till they get home, rather than posting it on FB, and ruining their vacation. The cat is gone, and telling them now won't bring her back. The grief can come when they are home. They knew she was sick, and if they trusted you to care for the pets, then I can't see them blaming you, either. That is said as a pet owner, who recently lost one.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
That is a hard one to call. If they ask, I suppose you should tell them what happened. I won't say to lie. If they ask on the way back then you just have to say, oh gee, I forgot to tell you that the cat died the day after you left and I buried it. At least you have evidence that it died because it was sick and not because you neglected it....by starting this thread.

I would want to know if I was on vacation and my cat died right after we left. I would like to know that a burial was given. Hopefully you dug the grave deep enough, here if I bury something I need to put it in a wood box because things dig them up. You can put some rocks over the grave to take care of that problem.

It wasn't your fault and it wasn't theirs. that kind of stuff just happens.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I would wait. They will be sad when they get back once instead of sad during the vacation and again when they get back.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm so sorry! What a nightmare.

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I feel like crap about it because she was my responsibility. I mean, yeah, she was sick but still.

Especially if she was sick, there's nothing you could have done about it.

Would I want to know? Probably not. I'd let them enjoy their vacation... But might they contact you and ask about the cat? If they do, then you can tell them the bad news, I guess.

It goes without saying now, but if someone is watching your pet or you're pet-sitting for them, talk about these things in advance.
edit on 7/22/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'd wait. It won't do them any good to hear about the passing while away.

Let them enjoy their vacation.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think it might depend on when your friends are due back and if they have to work the next day.

It might be kinder to tell them towards the end of the vacation rather than land it on them as soon as they get back, especially if it's late they are tired after travelling.

Perhaps ask them for a phone number a day or two before they are due home and then explain what happened. That way they will have some time to process it before they have to cope with their busy schedules again.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
What instructions did they give you about possible emergencies? I'd say this sort of classifies. I wouldn't come out and post, "Hey, I'm sorry, but your cat is dead." or anything like that, but I might indicate that they should contact you at their earliest convenience because there is something they ought to know.

This sort of thing is something that should be said in person, not on FB. That way, you indicated that you need to talk to them personally, and if they don't contact you until the vacation is over ... well, that was their choice, but at least you tried to let them know tactfully that they should call you ASAP.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They didn't leave instructions. I'll ask them if there's a number I can reach them at. I thought a facebook message was a crappy way to go. Too bad they don't have a cell phone.

new topics

top topics

join