It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain Kidd 'pirate wreck' claim false, says UNESCO :

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

UNESCO has thrown cold water over an American explorer's claims he has discovered the sunken treasure of infamous 17th-century pirate William Kidd off the coast of Madagascar.
Marine archaeologist Barry Clifford declared in May that he had solved an enduring mystery of the high seas by locating the wreck of Kidd's "Adventure Galley" ship and a 50kg silver ingot. But a team from UNESCO, the United Nations' cultural body, visited the site to verify Clifford's claims and brusquely dismissed his highly-publicised announcement. The UNESCO report said the "silver" ingot was just a lead weight, and that the supposed shipwreck was old rubble in a bay of Sainte Marie, a small island east of Madagascar. "What had been identified as the Adventure Galley of the pirate Captain Kidd has been found ... to be a broken part of the Sainte-Marie port constructions. No ship remains have been found," the report said. "Also the metal ingot, recovered apparently from the above site, is not a 'silver treasure', but is constituted of 95 per cent lead.

Read more at: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.jp...
Follow us: @ArchaeoNewsNet on Twitter | groups/thearchaeologynewsnetwork/ on Facebook

So disappointing as a pirates fan, not the team..
I am thinking that this guy wanted to make a documentary about Capt Kid's lost treasure but faced with a dead line and no evidence simply salted the site???.. now that's very accusatory of me but movie or T.V producers will do violence to real history for ratings it has been done before.
edit on 21-7-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The fact that the "silver" was in fact lead, tells me that this guy knew that he hadn't discovered what he was claiming...It's not hard to tell the difference between silver and lead...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
The fact that the "silver" was in fact lead, tells me that this guy knew that he hadn't discovered what he was claiming...It's not hard to tell the difference between silver and lead...

But he had to have known that any examination of the site or artifacts would unravel this lie what was he thinking.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

But he had to have known that any examination of the site or artifacts would unravel this lie what was he thinking.

If I were to guess, I'd say he was hoping to get a TV deal, or just wanted his 15 minutes of fame.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
People like this guy disgust me. What has happened to the all-too-true cliché that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Surprising to see this thread end so soon, perhaps it should be extended.

Barry got screwed.
Lead never comes out of sea water that old and looks anything like what was shown. Lead severely oxidizes in sea water.
Nor would a piece of lead ever have an inscription on it like would be found (and most likely was found), on a silver bar.
He gave it away and this UNESCO group threw him completely under a bus.
I say he did find the Adventure Galley.

top topics

join