It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WWE Battleground

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
John Cena winning the US title at Battleground was more of the same crap that makes my stomach turn about the WWE. And then they redeem themselves with the Undertaker coming out at the end. I have a lot I could say. I'm more so just wondering.....

Are there any more WWE fans on ATS that would like to discuss?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
WWE still exists?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: stonedogdiary
It's a scripted entertainment organization. I don't understand your...digust..I guess it is at their plot choices?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I can't even begin to discuss anything from the last 15 years or so of WWE.

Though admittedly I did sometimes briefly tune in just to hear Jim Ross screaming.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance Ya. I used to watch in high school and college with friends, for fun. Some of my college friends still follow it. I did love Rowdy Roddy Piper so.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
OK, here, have a star. Diversity in discussion is the spice of life.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'll start watching when the reanimated body of Andre The Giant steps into the ring.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yes. I'm speaking about the writing. I think part of their job is to suspend disbelief just as in a normal television show. They have treated many other up and coming stars just as they did Kevin Owens. Meaning given them a push and then taken away their steam. Hypothetically if you came to like a fighter for being pretty well undefeated for 6 months, and they he loses 3 big fights in a row, wouldn't it make your favorite fighter look weak? That is what I feel they do to every one that faces Cena. And then they argue that it doesn't hurt a "superstar" to lose a match. Well if that is so then can someone tell me what would be wrong with letting Cena lose to an up and comer finally? He can leave for a month and come back making even more money.

I love the WWE, I know they try hard. I just wish they would give someone else a chance. a reply to: reldra

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Here is the quandry WWE is facing.
On one hand you've got the "smarks" and Internet Wrestling Community (IWC) that HATE Super Cena. Mainly that hatred is because he's become such a stagnant character. He's essentially Hulk Hogan circa 1988, ALWAYS the good guy, never the heel. "Hustle, Loyalty, Respect" has replaced "Prayers, Training, and Vitamins."
On the other hand, you've got by far and away your most popular wrestler with the 13 and under crowd. John Cena is responsible for drawing in the next generation of wrestling fans, no doubt. WWE/F went through a very rough time after Hogan left for WCW, trying to find someone that appealed to kids but wasn't flat out offputting to adult fans. They failed at this, generating stupidity like Doink the Clown, a much more cartoonish Undertaker, Duke "the Dumpster" Drosie, and more. The only thing that saved them was the Attitude era. They pushed the envelope and were able to capture the interest of the kids who grew up watching Hogan but left in droves when Bastion Booger appeared on WWF Superstars.

Cena also represents WWE's strongest connection with the mainstream. He's receiving ESPY awards, he's on Sportscenter, he's a HUGE part of the Make a Wish Foundation, he's constantly in the news for his work with children. That provides WWE with a solid insurance policy the next time some kid hurts himself imitating a move or there's a Benoit-like incident.

Now, to the "fun" stuff...
I'm hoping that this return by Taker is actually setting the stage for something much more interesting. I'm thinking we'll see a final run for the Brothers of Destruction, Taker and a masked Kane. Possibly even the two of them working directly for the Authority. This could set up an intriguing scenario with Rollins hiding behind the Brothers for the next 6 months, until the almost certain Rollins/Lesnar rematch at Royal Rumble 2016. You have to admit one thing, Lesnar vs Undertaker followed by some sort of Lesnar vs Undertaker AND masked Kane matchup is sure to put butts in seats.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Yay... Someone's talking WWE!
I got lots to say about it, but for this thread, I'll stay on topic:

I think John Cena shoulda lost, but with RAW, he called out Seth Rollins, so he'll probably just vacate the title when he challenges for, or wins, the WWE Championship again... This gives the credibility to the title, I think they think...

'Taker was cool, but what happened with the match? They shoulda turned lights out again, and Seth and ref were back, giving Seth the victory...

I glad Bray won, and hope he helps Roman Reigns transform into a beast...

Star for bringing up the topic... We need to have a discussion about problems with WWE in general, and what would help, or just be cool...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I was working so I didn't catch Battleground and when I got home my internet wasn't working so I ended up just reading the results on my phone. When I read that Cena won I was beyond pissed.

I truly believe Owens is something special and they treated him as such with his first match with Cena and everything he did with Zynn in NXT. If I were to play fantasy booker I would have had Owens beat Cena, continue being dominant, leading to a title match at Mania with Lesnar. Sadly we got stupid Cena winning and while Owens will recover I'm just sick of it.

I've been watching WWE since I was about 12 back in 99 and at this point it's honestly more habit than anything else. It's just what I do Monday's. Sometimes I feel like my relationship with WWE is just toxic. Every week I wonder why I still watch and complain about so much crap. In the 3 hours there will maybe be a few good segments but I'm questioning whether the good really outweighs the bad. I DVR Raw so I only end up sitting through about an hour because honestly I'm not willing to sit down and watch it all. I think going to 3 hours was one of the biggest mistakes they ever made.

I have nothing but respect for Cena and think his in ring abilities are underrated, but you can only sit through the same thing for so long. People always talk about how he's no Austin or Rock, and they're right, but people tend to ignore that Austin and Rock were only on top for a few years. I honestly would have started to hate Austin if it was 2005 and he was feuding with Vince, Biscoff, or Teddy Long or whoever would have been the authority figure at that time. Cena has been the same character for a decade and I'm sick of it.

Sorry for ranting but I truly feel it'll be time for me to tune out for a while if Cena beats Rollins at SummerSlam.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Respectfully, give them a call, maybe they will let you write the script, and decide the mock rivalries / outcomes.... Good fun winding up the punters !

Look up the word " Kayfabe "

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I have tried a few times to get a thread started when there had been big matches like Mania etc.. So yippeee, I am happy to see this.
I basically started watching wrestling about a year prior to Wrestle Mania 1. I actually used to drink with George the Animal Steel in hollywood fla. Then life happened and I didn't watch again until about the last two years.

Being a 57 year old woman WWE fan means a lot of alone time watching the show to say the least, but I do enjoy it so I don't mind. It is like watching a soap opera on steroids. I don't know why people think a fan doesn't have the sense to know it is fake. Is a tad annoying when they keep saying that. I do feel that these wrestlers are incredible athletes though. Most of them anyway. I also think it is probably harder to actually fake some of the moves they do so no one does get hurt. I'm sure it would be much easier to make some of the moves they do to it's actual potential.

I give Cena a huge amount of credit for what he does in and out of the ring. I often wonder when that man actually sleeps. I highly doubt he will ever be a heel. He is their one sure hero for the kids. I was happy he won actually. I won't take away from Owens, but he's been a jacka.. and has just rubbed me wrong. It was a hell of a match and I'm sure he isn't done being a pain to Cena in some form or other.

I am actually a Dean Ambrose fan, crazy guy, he cracks me up. I have also enjoyed watching Cesaro coming along and finally getting some decent action. I thought he had something way back when he was on tag team with Ryback. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a belt of some sort not to far into the future.

Of course my ramble here wouldn't be complete without mentioning that I love the turn that WWE has taken with the Women's division. That little NXT shot in the arm really has given it a boost. I just hope they let it go in a smart direction and not making it stupid. Some of these women can actually wrestle so let them.

Lol sorry I went off, just excited to talk about it with people that "Get It."

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'd say you are spot on. I definitely appreciate someone who gets the big picture. I too understand all that Cena does for the company. I also know that he is from all accounts that I have heard "a great guy". I just don't understand why he is the only one that has gotten the opportunity to be in that spot for the past 10 years.

The other part of my bitterness is why they couldn't just give the US title to Owens and let him carry it. In my opinion Cena did a great job making that title important again. Kevin Owens was a completely legitimate guy to drop it to until they made him lose three huge matches consecutively.

And about the Brother Of Destruction angle..... I gotta say I was so stunned and excited about seeing taker take some revenge on lesner at battleground I didn't even think about that yet. But yeah you are right. That would be huge! Again I have to compliment WWE on that one. Totally did not see that coming. a reply to: burdman30ott6

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I have to say it honestly didn't bother me that there was no ending. It fits Rollins character in my opinion. Plus what would you do if that happened? haha I would def split with my title. The fact that Taker completely demolished Lesnar felt like justice.

And yes I was VERY happy they gave the victory to Bray. I didn't like Roman at first but they are doing a good job of slowly getting him over. Seeing him struggle is helping. a reply to: japhrimu

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You hit the nail on the head man. I don't know if he just hit at the right time for me or what, but he is my new favorite wrestler. Let me just say this to you....

I know why you still tune in. It's the same reason so many of us do not only that but listen to podcasts and find every bit of video we can find online. We LOVE the industry. For some weird reason I can't explain I LOVE pro wrestling. I'd say the best thing we can do is talk together and voice our opinion. It's fun for us but at the same time they actually do listen from time to time when the chatter of the crowd becomes a roar. In the creative teams defense I can't imagine how hard it must be to deal with so much criticism.

The worst thing you can do is give up. Time changes everything and in my opinion the milk chuggin cena train has to end within the next few years. I'll be right there with you loving and hating everything they do.

FIGHT OWENS FIGHT a reply to: rollinondubs

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hey thanks for your comments!

I view the non wrestling fans opinion of us "marks" as mute.

Everyday millions of people watch movies and television shows. Do they constantly turn to the person beside them on the couch and remind them that what they are watching is "fake"? Exactly.... Why is the fact that the outcomes are pre determined something that so many people can't let go? Part of their job in my opinion is to suspend your disbelief. Before the PG era they did a great job of that from time to time. Now it's a bit more difficult for them but they still pull some rabbits out of their hat.

And YES! The NXT Womens division has lit a fire! Sasha and Charlotte one on one are some of the best matches I've seen in the past ten years easy. I look forward to more of that and less of the bellas and eva marie. And can we all just agree that eva marie is WORTHLESS as a wrestler? a reply to: onehuman

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I'd be more then happy to talk wrestling with you. Like I said, being a old lady with a love for it doesn't really make for big parties to watch it!
Lol I love it enough to be a 9.99. Love watching the old stuff too.

Hard to like KO when he keeps running out on his matches. Like a spoiled child, or typical bully. I'm guessing it is the storyline for some reason, but it sure doesn't make him anymore favorable really.

Something tells me that if Cena is to lose the belt it more than likely won't be to a heel. I'm guessing another baby face so that it is all "honorable," if that makes sense. I think with his movie just being released they are going to ride his train a little longer. He is certainly a man that is Hall of Fame bound.

I'm guessing you have read most of the same things I have. I'm trying to figure out just where, when and how they are going to slip Sting back in.

You watching Tough Enough? If so have a favorite yet?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke
Yeah I saw that a bit ago. This will probably turn into a major cluster um mess. I'll be curious if they throw him off the judge panel on Tough Enough. That will say something in itself.
They sure yanked him off the list of all their superstars on their pay app. Name won't even come up

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join